The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member # 16
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David you said that Mazda and Honda give money for racing, I'm guessing that is in the form of parts. How does that work? What do you need to qualify? What other car makers do that?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Chris Robertson said:
David you said that Mazda and Honda give money for racing, I'm guessing that is in the form of parts. How does that work? What do you need to qualify? What other car makers do that?
Chris,
What David is talking about is the contingency program some car manufacturers have. Basically it's only for national events but based on your finish they usually pay you in CASH! Except Hoosier which pays in TIRES.

The Nissan Dealership that I bought many of my parts has offered to reimburse me ($1500) if I win the National Championship, thats why their sticker is on my window now!

Art

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mazda contingency money for solo2 is for 1, 2, in a Pro or NT ($200, $100) (not sure if thats any event, or just topeka) and 1,2, in National year end points. ($800, $400) must be a member of mazdaspeed motorsports, SCCA and have the correct decals and documention forms for submiting (they are on the mspeed site) submit and wait for your check, if you win :)

no idea how the others work, but thats how Mazda works.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: Re: Re: How do you guys get sponsors?

Gunnar said:
Ok, how do I get in touch with these people? I want money!!!
Gunnar you need to spend the money first and then if (the big if) you win the Nationals you get your money back. Also the parts manager I am dealing with is a SERCA member and someone I've known for a couple of years. In order to get these deals you need to network and make contacts that may take long term developement.

Art

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: How do you guys get sponsors?

Trys_Hard said:
In order to get these deals you need to network and make contacts that may take long term developement.
That's the key!!!

Luckily for me, I signed up for the contingency program that Progress had back in 2000 for the STS class (I believe David and couple other people signed up too). The program was that you have to place either 1st or 2nd to get contingency money from them. I didn't get anything from them in 2000, but since one of the owner at Progress and I became pretty good friends, the contingency money is still available for me. In 2001 and 2002, I think I had close to $2000 from them (some was cash and some I got parts for the cars such as the custom rear sway bar in my Prelude).

Now I'm working on TEIN since I've running on their coilovers since I started back in 1998. I gave them my coilovers for revalving and new rear springs. I'm hoping that this will be free to me. :rolleyes: BTW, I've been talking to them (some people would consider "bothering" :D) for the past 4-5 months.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How do you guys get sponsors?

vwong said:
Luckily for me, I signed up for the contingency program that Progress had back in 2000 for the STS class (I believe David and couple other people signed up too). The program was that you have to place either 1st or 2nd to get contingency money from them. I didn't get anything from them in 2000, but since one of the owner at Progress and I became pretty good friends, the contingency money is still available for me. In 2001 and 2002, I think I had close to $2000 from them (some was cash and some I got parts for the cars such as the custom rear sway bar in my Prelude).
I really should have kept in touch with him, but he stopped showing up right after they offered the contingency program. Over the last three years, I had 7 1st's and 9 2nds. And if they included Julie, I think she has like 30 1st's over the last 3 years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts