The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I've tracked a squeak down to the AC vents in the center of the dashboard. How do I pop them off so that I can install a small rubber shim? I've looked at the Deroure fiche but I can't tell how one actually pops the bezels off so I can then loosen/remove the base?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sorry to taunt you with a reply, but I'd like the remove these to somehow dull (paint, cover, dip?) the chrome covers. The reflections on the interior windshield taunt me.

·
Administrator
2,110 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thank you Catsailr27! That definitely looks like it might help me. The 400 vents are a little different. I may try to mess with it later today.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too funny, dogtag114! These cars do taunt us with their idiosyncrasies sometimes!

I spent some time today trying to figure it out. Looked at deroure fiche (the 400 has different vent part numbers/design than earlier ones), got up close with my flashlight, pushed, pulled, poked, and prodded all around the vents then inserted some thick paper (no change) then shimmed in some toolbox liner (foam/rubber type stuff) - also no change. Only thing that stops the near-constant rattle is downward finger pressure on the top of the squarish portion of the assembly behind the round rotating part. I really wish I could pop all of it off and make a gasket to sit between it and the dash.

So back to my original post - how the heck do we get these off?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
So back to my original post - how the heck do we get these off?
It looks like the squarish carrier (#2) portion is screwed into the upper dash itself via 8 screws (#15) and 8 clips (#16). There looks to be notches in the carrier, so maybe the #10 vent bezels rotate a certain amount and then come out (think bayonet-style)?

It also seems like the vent bezels can be separated from the vent itself. I'd guess if they can freely rotate, they're probably not a bayonet-style mount, but maybe just clips or tabs.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello agentdr8 - yes I looked closely at that diagram and did everything I could to try to pop something loose but everything is pretty solidly mounted. The vents turn inside the bezel and you can just about get a plastic interior pry tool between them but it didn't seem like it was getting me anywhere. The bezel doesn't seem to rotate in either direction even with a great deal of force, those screws are not visible as far as I can tell with my flashlight. It might be something where I just have to break the vents out and then unscrew those bolts and replace everything with new parts. And hope it doesn't squeak any more!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
i can pull the elise vents straight out

·
Illegal Alien
5,153 Posts
Sorry to taunt you with a reply, but I'd like the remove these to somehow dull (paint, cover, dip?) the chrome covers. The reflections on the interior windshield taunt me.
I tried on two custom Evora orders to try and get factory to darken these rings. It makes NO sense to me to have them stick out as shiny circles reflected in the windshield.

Reactions: dogtag114

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
EDIT: was looking at wrong part. Disregard.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
5,153 Posts
The cf covers don't help with fighting the ring reflection.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: never figured out how to get the bezels off but it turns out that wasn't the source of the rattle anyway. Over the last couple of months, I have spent hours trying to figure out what making the noise and the one consistent way to stop it was placing some finger pressure on the center AC vent panel. But yesterday I re-read another thread and decided to give it a shot and thankfully it fixed it.

Dashboard rattle and squeak | The Lotus Cars Community (lotustalk.com)

I squeezed a black stopper/plug into that gap and the noise is completely gone. From the outside you can barely see it and would really have to look for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts