The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting an Elise repaired is no where near as straight forward as most cars and so I am very hesitant to take it anywhere but a Lotus dealer. However, that's a 40 mile drive or so and a $50 or more Uber ride home (and $50 back if I can't get a ride). I'd really love to take my car somewhere much closer. Most people rave about how easy these cars are to work on, and virtually every one here at the forum does a lot of major work on their car. So it seems that a good solid mechanic should be able to work on an Elise. Really, the only exotic thing is removing and installing the clams I would think. Getting parts is easy in the Michigan area.

There's a shop near my work that does most of their work on BMW's (any year). I see Porsche's and Volvo's in their lot too. That would seem to be a place to possibly have work on my Elise. I could go in and ask them if they work on these cars, but without a direct reference, it still seems more risk than I would like.

Advice?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I have no doubt they could probably do all the regular maintenance, or any shop really. It's a matter if they will care for it just as well and take into account the little things. Us being the owners, take the extra research to make sure everything is done properly and carefully. Proper tools, parts, torque values, lifting the car, etc. We end up taking that extra step on being careful.
Maybe give them some info regarding some things on what to do and what not. Or with the many DIY/How To's instruction posted all over you can print them out for whatever job. My biggest fear is shops not properly knowing how to lift the car and it falling off. Easy enough to explain to them how to properly do it though. This is of course, assuming none of them have any Lotus backgrounds. Finding a good caring trustworthy mechanic will be key. Good luck in your search.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Yes, fear of mislifting......

I gave my local shop a note and photo.

They'd never had a Lotus in the place, but I knew they were good and careful people.

Lifted car on 2 post lift by making those MWR spacers out of wood. Pulled front clam, did everything very well.

I found them on the "Car Talk" site, btw.

Often I tell ppl to go to largest, best independent parts store in area and ask who they use. Contact local car clubs and you'll get some good references.

g

1 - 3 of 3 Posts