The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my car will soon be back from the shop wit he fuel tank repaired, and I landed a new job so I can pay for it too. :rolleyes: What's the problem? I need to move across the country and I don't think I will have a garage to store the car in. Well that and my significant other is pushing hard for me to sell it. :(

I figure I need to start investigating selling the car. I'm not moving till the summer so there is no rush to sell. I figure I'll put it up for sale in the spring when demand is higher.

So how does one go about selling a car like this? I've never sold an "exotic" before, not to mention I hate selling my cars. What are the best places to advertise the car and how do you price it? I know I paid $22,000 4 years ago and probably overpaid because I loved the car and thought it was completely sorted out (which to be fair it was for the most part). I know I won't get that much for it, but would prefer to get something closer to $20 than $15,000 (which I think is reasonably the lowest price).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Also the driver's seat bolster leather is really worn (but not torn or anything). Should I get it fixed?

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
Post some high quality pics and details. Should garner some interest on LT.
Personally, I think you should not cave in to the significant other. You will only regret it and resentment will follow.
I'd hold on to it, but will revisit this thread to see pictures?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
938 Posts
This is not to be pointed at the Op BUT I am sick to death of hearing married men always using the expression: my significant other- my wife my girlfriend tells me I need to sell it.
I bet years ago when guys started to announce this-use this term- they must have been embarrassed !
Just like the word Sorry in the early 18th. century!
Now it's either accepted and there is mostly no thought after it. Men marry Mothers or they just use it as an excuse!
My wife forces sale....
Get your balls back from your wife/mother .Stop being the little Boy!
UGGGHHH!!!
-btw, I believe the definition is called PUSSY.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Banned
938 Posts
lol.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Happy wife.... Happy wife..... It's as simple as that!

I would try to keep it if you can, possibly wait to see what your living situation is when you move west.

But like stated posting on this forum is probably one of the best places to offer it for sale. Autotrader and those other online classified sections might also work. Possibly post the car soon on this forum and state not in a hurry to sell but you can at least see if there is interest.

I would try to keep it though.... I sold a car of mine a few years back.... And I am still kicking myself for doing so.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
This is not to be pointed at the Op BUT I am sick to death of hearing married men always using the expression: my significant other- my wife my girlfriend tells me I need to sell it.
I bet years ago when guys started to announce this-use this term- they must have been embarrassed !
Now it's either accepted and there is mostly no thought after it. Men marry Mothers or they just use it as an excuse!
My wife forces sale....
UGGGHHH!!!
:facepalm

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am really surprised that these cars have not gone up in value that much at all, or at least I have not seen it. Back around 2000 I almost bought an S4 for $22,000 in pretty good shape, today the same car you can buy for $22,000 in pretty good shape.

I think it depends on the wife, person and situation. Some people own the same car for years, some people only for one year. Im the latter, my wife tells me the only reason I keep this car (I've owned it for almost three years now) is because it is so prone to breakage and I like working on cars more than driving them. I did however almost sell mine less than a year ago, but my wife had nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My wife forces sale....
UGGGHHH!!!
Wow! :huh: Seriously, Mike?
How does your wife feel about your opinion?

·
Super Moderator
4,041 Posts
[snip]I know I paid $22,000 4 years ago and probably overpaid [snip]I know I won't get that much for it, but would prefer to get something closer to $20 than $15,000 (which I think is reasonably the lowest price).
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Also the driver's seat bolster leather is really worn (but not torn or anything). Should I get it fixed?
This may be harsh, but over the last 2 years, I've seen some Esprits sell for more than they were 'worth' (through buyer ignorance or emotional attachment) - you're better off starting high and adjusting accordingly.

Don't start off low, especially if you're not in a hurry (yet) to sell.

I wouldn't get the bolster fixed - you will not likely make the money back and at least it's not torn.

·
Registered
455 Posts
you're better off starting high and adjusting accordingly.

Don't start off low, especially if you're not in a hurry (yet) to sell.
I agree. You can always reduce your asking price if it's too high, but it's a lot more difficult to ask for more if you start too low.

Sorry to hear that you need to sell. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Many people come up with reasons not to buy Rather than to buy. For that reason try to not to start too high but rather do your research on actual sell price rather than asking price and price accordingly. In other words set a fair market price for both seller and buyer. Cars that sit too long without selling tend to make people think that there might be a reason it is not selling and keep away as many potential buyers will not look at the car till further along in the buying process. You will find the most response activity in the 1st couple of weeks of a fresh listing. Also you indicated you are moving out west. An offer to drive the car to the purchaser will inspire confidence in the roadworthy condition of a car capable making a long distance trip. The long distance delivery will give you closure to your ownership process and give you one last fun ride before you turn it over to the new owner. You are going out west anyways. Another thing is that a northern car might bring a better price out west as cars in the west tend to have higher miles as they are used more often in the milder climate than cars from the north. I don't know how many miles you have on your car but premium cars tend to have less than 40K on the clock. Other than the casual buyer, serious Lotus people already know certain cars and if you were to have a known or higher profile car they would be easier to sell. As far as the seat bolster if you have black leather interior it is easier to fix and re-dye than tan. I have a hard time matching tan. Always looks like shadowing or off color area. You can snip a small sample of the color from the underside of the seat to get a color match of the dye if it is not so badly worn that you have to re texture the surface.

You haven't really told us much about the car and condition so with only a target price it is really hard to tell you how to sell it.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Find a way to keep the car. You will likely regret getting an Esprit well sorted, only to sell it, when you may not have had to...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your input. My other half is not really pushing me to sell, its more of one where they don't like riding in or driving the car. Thus we never take it on "fun" trips rather just me running errands. Its me wanting to sell it since I don't use it enough. If I'm lucky, we will take one 3 hour or longer trip in it a year.

The other and much bigger problem is that we will be renting an apartment for the first year in Portland (so we can get to know the area better) and thus won't have a garage. I will have sold or rented my house in PA and thus won't have a garage to keep the car in. My insurance requires the car to be kept in my home's garage. So until I settle down again out there, I really won't have a place for it. That is really the bigger push for me to sell.

As I said, I'm in no rush. I'll start working on a package of pictures and description over the next couple weeks. I guess it can't hurt for me to start at $20,000 at this point.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
Rob, I saw your car at PH last August before they began work on your tanks. Sorry to hear that you will part with it, but if the main reason is that you would have no place in OR to garage it I'd suggest that there are many Lotus guys/car guys in general in the Portland area who would be glad to assist in garaging the car for you until you have a place of your own. Details w/an insurance company can be negotiated. Consider it, but if you have to sell then good luck. Ken

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Best of luck on your sale and your move. Hope it all works out well.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sorry to hear you might be selling. I'm very grateful that my wife supports the Lotus endeavor!

Besides the Lotus specific forums, I would also suggest New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars for Sale and Reviews at AutoTrader.com possibly Yahoo! and of course Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More |eBay

On eBay you can always go with a "buy it now" ad (if you don't like auctions), or if you do go the auction route just set a minimum bid or reserve at a level you are comfortable with.

Even if you don't wind up selling it through those actual sites, getting the car noticed by the most number of potential buyers is often key. Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I recently put my 94 on ebay just for fun and to see if anyone would be a taker at my price. Ebay is not overly bad, I've bought/sold 4-5 cars there.

You get a lot of dip**** questions and people always wantig to low ball you, but it's good exposure and there are real buyers there. I had several really intrested and serious people, but not quite up to the price i wanted

I don't recall exactly, but my listing was viewed almost 2000 times in 7 days.

No reason to start about mid $20k's and go from there. Selling these types of cars can take a long time so if you are actually commited to selling it I wouldn't wait until the last moment.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts