The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always liked the Exige and want to own one in the future, maybe. I currently have a fairly well setup Z06 that I track about 1-2 times a month, I'm wondering in the hands of a really good driver, how well does a Exige S240/S260 with R-comps and other serious track mods like coilovers etc, stand up to a well prepared Z06 or a GT3RS in the hands of a good driver?

For the PacNW Track nuts, I'll use ridge motorsports park as an example (not counting open wheeled track cars) -

- 2:00 - Slow!
- 1:55 - That's what I can do with my Z06 and is comparable to other well driven M3, Z06 and GT3RSs. This is considered a respectable A-level lap-time
- 1:48 - Super fast drivers get this with their Z06s and GT3RS - This is a very, very fast lap time!
- 1:47 - Only a few drivers can do this at the Ridge!

Where would a Exige slot in?

If I can get to low 1:52 in a Exige then its worth upgrading for me.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
My 0.02

If you want low lap times and exacting handling I would get an old Formula Atlantic car, trailer and an old van/pickup to tow with - total cost about $40k. It'd kill any street car.

Having had a 2008 Z51 Vette, admittedly at only 400 RWHP, and a N/A Elise, the fun is in the handling characteristics and low per diem of the Lotus, not the sheer lap times.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree open wheel obviously knocks the socks off all cars including the fastest - its just not practical for me.. was just curious about the Exige... I've seen one turbo Elise out here that was doing fast laps last year. don't know exactly what times he was doing though.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Either if those cars us capable of a significantly faster time than an exige on all but autocross tight tracks. You won't find a faster 240 HP street car or one that is more fun to drive however

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm assuming that is based on less wear and tear on consumables and lesser costs associated with smaller tires and pads?

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I'm assuming that is based on less wear and tear on consumables and lesser costs associated with smaller tires and pads?
It always sounds pretty absurd to me when the Vette, Viper, 911 guys start talking consumable cost to track their cars. The Lotus is closer to Miata money to run hard, and more fun too.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Its probably closer to 1/4 the cost for consumables tires are 1/2 as much and last twice as long. Similar deal with brakes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1/4 ? Huh!

Here's my rough spend on consumables - It is not crazy expensive -
Tires - BFG R1 - $1400 - Last 6-7 track days
Pads - Raybestos ST43 - $400 - Last 12+ trackdays (3000lb light car relatively speaking with lots of brake cooling to a 380mm BBK)
Rotors - Stoptech rings - 12+ trackdays
Oil Changes - ~$100 - Do it myself - Every 3 track days
Tranny/Diff Oil Changes - $250 - Once a year - Do it myself

I don't think I'm missing any major consumable item. What size hoosiers/R1 do you guys run typically on the exige?

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Track Day Expenses

Corvette is hard to beat for speed and maintenance.

You are going through too many rotors. Some brake pads use the rotor as the sacrificial material... or you are braking too much, stop braking and go faster! :)

I used (and use) Performance Friction pads. Rotors last for years. Pads use was same or better... (on my C4 Corvette ZR-1, which is heavier).

SO not so bad on incidentals, since the tire price is not 1/2 with smaller tires. :)

Anton

1/4 ? Huh!

Here's my rough spend on consumables - It is not crazy expensive -
Tires - BFG R1 - $1400 - Last 6-7 track days
Pads - Raybestos ST43 - $400 - Last 12+ trackdays (3000lb light car relatively speaking with lots of brake cooling to a 380mm BBK)
Rotors - Stoptech rings - 12+ trackdays
Oil Changes - ~$100 - Do it myself - Every 3 track days
Tranny/Diff Oil Changes - $250 - Once a year - Do it myself

I don't think I'm missing any major consumable item. What size hoosiers/R1 do you guys run typically on the exige?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wouldnt say rotors are cheap with the exige (if you want to fit quality stuff). consumables are less than a vette and SIGNIFICANTLY less than a GT3 but comparable to a miata? Come on. Lotus tax alone blows that out of the water.

regarding lap times, i have no idea for the track that you are talking about but at my local track, plenty of guys doing 1.18s in their modified Exiges (light power mods). By comparison a lightly modded GT3 will do 1.17s and as low as 1.15s if the guy can steer. Its very much a power circuit though so the lotus loses its advantage.

What im trying to say is, bang for buck the Exige is the way to go, and if you really want to spend a little bit more money, you can turn it into an absolute monster that wont have trouble eating either of the cars you mentioned.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am familiar with the ridge, I can run 1.58 in my stock, except for R6 tires and upgraded pads naturally aspirated Elise, I have not seen an Exige that is prepped run at the ridge but at ORP where I run 3 seconds slower than the ridge I have seen Exiges run almost 8 seconds faster so I would expect 1.51 or 1.52 with a good driver.

I have driven a 2014 Corvette Stingray and while it is faster by plenty around PIR, my Elise is more exciting.
Consumables
Rotors, lasted me 3 years and at least 20+ track days if not 30 and they were $300 to replace, brake pads lasted 3 years and 20+ track days but they were high performance street.
Tires, I'm running used R6s but they last three track days from well beyond the wear bars so a new set should last about 10 track days and are $1200
Oil and gearbox should be about the same.

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
I don't think Phil's car is applicable to this conversation. I get the impression that the OP is referring to a "normal" car like Spectre's old Exige. Well sorted to me means, no one off crazy fabbed set up . I look at "well sorted" to mean common off the shelf parts that work together that creates an upgraded and balanced car.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
You can strip and mod the hell out of corvettes as well. A zo6 based race car can be taken to a level of fast way beyond an elige. Stock for stock they are faster mod for mod they are faster. Elige is still more interesting to me and obviously some others

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
I don't think Phil's car is applicable to this conversation. I get the impression that the OP is referring to a "normal" car like Spectre's old Exige. Well sorted to me means, no one off crazy fabbed set up . I look at "well sorted" to mean common off the shelf parts that work together that creates an upgraded and balanced car.

Which is why I prefaced that it is the most modified Lotus on this forum?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
From my limited track experience it seems like the major difference is power.
The Exige lacks serious power even with the benefit of an aftermarket tune that would bump a stock S220/S240 up to about 275whp. Even on short straight sections a higher hp car will devastate an Elige.

The new Supercharged Exige V6 with 345hp (very conservative ) would prove a better adversary straight out of the box without add ons.

-Robert

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I'm around low-mid 1:50s in my 270(?) hp Elise, with Nitrons, R888s, and legitimate average driving ability.

One day, I was more or less able to hang with a V10 R8 being driven at what I'd assume to be about the same skill level. I could hang with him down the straight by coming off 15/16 a bit hotter and drafting him. He'd start pulling about 3/4 of the way down, and I think he was taking turn 1 flat out. I don't have the stones for that as my car just doesn't feel planted going that fast, so I'd dab before 1, but I could reel him back in by 5. When I was leading, he'd be on my bumper going through 1, but I'd put some distance back on until 5. The rest of the track, we seemed to be about even, regardless of who was leading.

At my skill level, I'd bet I would be faster in a Z06 than in my car simply because I think I'd have more confidence driving it closer to the limit. That and The Ridge does seem to favor horsepower. With pros driving both cars, I'm sure the gap would be closer, but I'd be hard pressed to believe a prepped S260 could ever legitimately turn faster times than an equally prepped C6 Z06 there.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts