The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is currently @ Criswell Lotus in Gaithersburg sitting outside in the freezing rain and I was wondering what affect this would have on the paint job. The car was recently repainted but it is still getting the starshield replaced so i have to wait for that to come in. Thoughts? I tried to do a search but I was unsuccess in my key word search. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i speak from a nearly-complete lack of experience, but i expect that as long as it's still liquid on impact you don't have anything to worry about...

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
The only thing I'd be concerned about is if enough fell to form a solid layer of ice, it could block air from flowing through the radiator and your car could overheat if driven in that condition (the owners manual has a similar warning regarding snow).

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Road grime has a way of bonding to paint given other environmental conditions. If that is present and sleet/snow combine on top of that - the biggest risk to cured paint would be it's affect on the clear coat. Clear coat will swirl, scratch and degrade quicker in those conditions than if it were never subjected.

I wont get into detailing and paint care - but if the paint is fully cured and is intact - no clear coat chips/flakes for oxygen or water to get under - then the paint can withstand the sleet and snow. It is unlikely either will cause direct damage. Again, indirect damage may occur from the other contaminants bonding and thier impact upon clear coat but that can be managed differently.

Same with applying the star shield - it is critical the paint is cured before applying. There is a difference in Billybob's shop oven than Lotus's factory oven that baked that paint on the car.

Another thing to be extra careful about with the inclement conditions you are speaking about is the tires. If you have Advan A08's then those tires better not be subjected to anything below 14 degrees. There are many threads on this and you will find Yokohama warns about the tires ability to withstand anything below that when they support weight. The result is supposed to be cracking and rot - unexpected blow outs at regular speed (40 - 70mph)

Lastly - there is the whole other issue of salt - not good for paint (indirectly) and not good for aluminum (directly).

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I would think your paint would be safe but your soft top (if on at the time) could maybe be a concern. I don’t suppose it can take to much weight on it, or the water getting in and around the soft top and then freezing. I hope you have a hard top on right now. Maybe put a cover over the top if it’s not to late.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for providing your input, I've called the dealership yesterday to try and have the car moved indoors but I haven't heard back at all. I know it's just sitting on the lot at the moment.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
since i'm pretty close to the dealer i can tell you that its just ice, layers and layers of ice. I havent cleaned any of my cars yet and dont plan on cleaning them anytime soon.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which one is yours? I'll check on it for you and wipe off any ice/snow for you if it is still outside.
It's the red one, there's a "Kung Fu Panda" in the front right speaker. i was thinkin about bringing my car cover up but it's only for indoors :(

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
since i'm pretty close to the dealer i can tell you that its just ice, layers and layers of ice. I havent cleaned any of my cars yet and dont plan on cleaning them anytime soon.
I live 10 minutes away :) And layers and layers of ice just sounds scary to me.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The paint certainly wont cure right just sitting outside being subjected to freezing temperature with ice and snow on it. And it wont be helped by someone just "wiping" off the snow or ice - just etch and scratch it up before the owner takes posession of it.

There are chemicals (to put it generically) in paint that needs to evaporate out of it. This just can't happen sitting outside. Maybe I am misunderstanding but if the car was just painted - it should have been kept inside until the star shield arrived to protect it from environmental contaminants.

If it hasn't cured right - the damage may not be evident right away. In time, you may notice blisters and what looks like pin sized dots in the clear at first - later on the blisters pop, paint will flake and chip easily, and the dots deteriorate at a microscopic level that enables oxygen to get under the clear - particularly when washing or it rains. This is, of course, a worst case scenario - but if they have a descent warranty on the paint - then they should back this up.

Oh yeah - and if this is all true, when you have to remove the star shield in 6 to 8 years, the paint will come off in flakes along with the star shield because of its inability to cure properly and allow those chemicals to emulsify and escape.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I live 10 minutes away :) And layers and layers of ice just sounds scary to me.
10 minutes is closer than me...

i live about 15-20 minutes away (depending how i feel when i drive:eek:)

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Awesome :) Peace of mind is worth a million.
+1

more of a reason why all the locals should buy cars from Dan.

btw Dan, you guys still have the ZR1 in the showroom? one of my friends might be interested.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The paint certainly wont cure right just sitting outside being subjected to freezing temperature with ice and snow on it. And it wont be helped by someone just "wiping" off the snow or ice - just etch and scratch it up before the owner takes posession of it.

There are chemicals (to put it generically) in paint that needs to evaporate out of it. This just can't happen sitting outside. Maybe I am misunderstanding but if the car was just painted - it should have been kept inside until the star shield arrived to protect it from environmental contaminants.

If it hasn't cured right - the damage may not be evident right away. In time, you may notice blisters and what looks like pin sized dots in the clear at first - later on the blisters pop, paint will flake and chip easily, and the dots deteriorate at a microscopic level that enables oxygen to get under the clear - particularly when washing or it rains. This is, of course, a worst case scenario - but if they have a descent warranty on the paint - then they should back this up.

Oh yeah - and if this is all true, when you have to remove the star shield in 6 to 8 years, the paint will come off in flakes along with the star shield because of its inability to cure properly and allow those chemicals to emulsify and escape.

I have Kuhmo's on them right now, my A048s are safely sitting my garage. I'm hoping I won't have to replace the starshield 6 years from now. I guess it's sort of a waiting game, I'll check back with you 6 year from now :)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
+1

more of a reason why all the locals should buy cars from Dan.

btw Dan, you guys still have the ZR1 in the showroom? one of my friends might be interested.
I just sold a red ZR1 last Saturday..
I have 2 left. A red one and a black one. Both are loaded with chrome wheels.

Which one would he want?
Stop by and check them out!!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I just sold a red ZR1 last Saturday..
I have 2 left. A red one and a black one. Both are loaded with chrome wheels.

Which one would he want?
Stop by and check them out!!
Awesome, will do.

but ehh chrome wheels?? :confused: on a sports car?? :shrug:

i think he might be going to the porsche dealer today, so he will probably drop in sometime tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts