The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the convertible version of the 12-c will be out in August, only about 2 years after the coupe, while the Evora convertible remains a mythical beast.

How does McLaren do it, while Lotus constantly struggles? I realize they sell in a different market, but they sell a lot less cars, too (only 100 F1's, it appears). Wiki says they have 1,500 employees, so not exactly a garage business. I know they have a big engineering group, but so does Lotus.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I wish I knew so I could tell Lotus.

I admire McLaren. Their supercars are the best performing and most useable of anyones. They are just as exotic as anything Italian and more desireable, IMO. Looks are subjective but the Macs are styled perfectly, IMO.

Too bad Ill probably never have one. They are what Lotus should have been. Or, at least Lotus could have had some of their mojo.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I see the convertible version of the 12-c will be out in August, only about 2 years after the coupe, while the Evora convertible remains a mythical beast.

How does McLaren do it, while Lotus constantly struggles? I realize they sell in a different market, but they sell a lot less cars, too (only 100 F1's, it appears). Wiki says they have 1,500 employees, so not exactly a garage business. I know they have a big engineering group, but so does Lotus.
Who knows?
Different companies, different business plans.
Maybe it has to do with the Evora not selling nearly as strong as Lotus hoped and they didnt want to spend the money to have rolled out the convertible at this time? No idea.
They are 2 very different companies, 2 very different cars, and 2 very different markets so its really hard to question why 1 does one thing while the other does not.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
There is a simple answer....It all started with a pizza " better ingredients, better pizza" place any 2012 Kia next to a 2012 Exige and tell me wich one is better built, a Kia costs $12K the Exige $70K. No one in the right mind outside a Lotus hyper fan boy would ever pay $65K for an Evora there are much better options out there for that price range.

P.S. Stop it folks I'm not hating on Lotus but the facts are out there just google it, plus I love my Elise!!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I think the largest difference is that Macs can PERFORM and meet their price range target. However, the Evora is a Large flop when placed against other cars in it's similar price range for performance. Because of this one major flaw, that is the reason why the Evora has not been as successful as Lotus had hoped.

So really, Mac believes in putting out a product that is HIGH performance for HIGH looks and Price tag. Lotus believes in putting out a product that is weak in power performance, but great in handling performance, in a price market that is to high. I view an evora as an overpriced Lexus "sports car," only in terms of performance. In terms of handling, it is miles ahead of many...however for our world Power numbers sell before the driving experience. Because the numbers are what get people in the show room, and then the drive.

My 2 cents. (Sorry if I offended any Evora owners. But it is what I think.)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
P.S. Stop it folks I'm not hating on Lotus but the facts are out there just google it, plus I love my Elise!!
I am also completely with Render on this one.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
The Evora just makes me smile.

The McLaren gives me wood.

There's the difference. :)

Then again, ask Choatie88 - he's got an Exige and a McL MP4

·
Registered
4,879 Posts

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I think the largest difference is that Macs can PERFORM and meet their price range target. However, the Evora is a Large flop when placed against other cars in it's similar price range for performance. Because of this one major flaw, that is the reason why the Evora has not been as successful as Lotus had hoped.

So really, Mac believes in putting out a product that is HIGH performance for HIGH looks and Price tag. Lotus believes in putting out a product that is weak in power performance, but great in handling performance, in a price market that is to high. I view an evora as an overpriced Lexus "sports car," only in terms of performance. In terms of handling, it is miles ahead of many...however for our world Power numbers sell before the driving experience. Because the numbers are what get people in the show room, and then the drive.

My 2 cents. (Sorry if I offended any Evora owners. But it is what I think.)
I agree with most everything you say here. I was rather underwhelmed by the car (Evora) in my test drive. I felt like I was driving a sporty toyota. (Lexus might be a better comparison but im not as familiar driving them) The car was quiet, seamless, handled and stopped great, but I wanted more power from an 85k dollar sportscar.
That said, I think its a great car in its own right. It seems most cars come from the factory with at least 50hp and a gob of torque shy where I think it should be.

I think Lotus was trying to steal customers away from Porsche, and most loyal Porsche customers buy those cars for various reasons and one of them is fit and finish. The evora I drove didnt have that same degree of refinement as far as fit and finish. (In fact my test car had an issue with the dash board) Im sure most porsche buyers would find the Evora quick enough, but I think some of the QC issues is why its hard to get Porsche owners to jump ship.

That said, I think a convertible version of the Evora could only help sales not hurt it. Again, most folks dont care to have the fastest car as long as its quick enough, but they DO like semi exotic convertible sportscars, even enough to overlook some other flaws.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
You forgot about the 170k dollar difference too!
Nah, it's actually more than that.

Todd told me he'd sell me an Evora for like $13K :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Much better funding. McLaren racing is owned by a group of billionairs, they formed mclaren automotive and raised a whole bunch of money from some middle east bank (kuwait or saudia arabia) that they are using to build the 12C.

They are a brand new car company. You cant really count the 100 F1s that they built over 8 years as a car company. They were a racing team that was slapping license plates on a few race cars.

Also, they have only been selling cars for 9 months. Lets, see what the long term sustaiability looks like. Lotus looked like they were doing pretty well after 9 months of selling the Elise over here. Then people stopped buying new ones.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The Evora just makes me smile.

The McLaren gives me wood.

There's the difference. :)

Then again, ask Choatie88 - he's got an Exige and a McL MP4
The evora makes me smile.

The Mclaren gives me wood.

But SwingLo makes me smile while giving me wood

what were we talking about again?

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
I bet that McLaren is selling many more Mp4-12C's than Lotus is selling cars! That helps development a bit!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
There is a simple answer....It all started with a pizza " better ingredients, better pizza" place any 2012 Kia next to a 2012 Exige and tell me wich one is better built, a Kia costs $12K the Exige $70K. No one in the right mind outside a Lotus hyper fan boy would ever pay $65K for an Evora there are much better options out there for that price range.

This is mostly all true - but there isnt a really good "value" out there in exotics or high end cars. They are all too expensive for what you get. Its not a value thing. Value is for your daily runabout. The Kia is probably built better than most sports/exotics, especially English & Italian ones :D

The Lotus is a mainly emotional purchase. Logic, value, & amenities get pushed aside. That being said, Lotus SHOULD be screwing these cars together better than they apparently are. They outta know better at this stage in the game. This is where a parent company with some bucks and tools can smooth everything out and control the production. I again refer to the great relationship between Audi and Lambo. Look whats that done for Lambo - No more "Look but dont touch or drive" cars that rarely see the road. They are allowed to do what they please with Audi covering them on the boring detail stuff. Perfect way for a high-end exotic car mfger to operate. Lotus needs this. :drool:

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

Wait, its the KIA right? I am still not sure there is a compelling reason to buy an Evora over a Cayman S/R. At least for my values.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts