The Lotus Cars Community banner

how does the toybox sequential shifter work?

4120 29
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
It's pretty straightforward, if maybe a bit complicated to execute. I have a loose grasp of it. Let's see if I can make any sense of this...

So imagine the transmission consists of a couple main components. You have the transmission proper with all the gears and synchros and all that. That part is the same for both a regular manual transmission as well as a sequential manual. Then you have the part that moves the shift forks in the right patterns such that the right gears get engaged when you move the lever. It's only in that component where a normal tranny and a sequential tranny differ.

Our current system uses specific amounts of push and pull on the two shift cables (back and forth on one, side to side on the other) to manipulate the trans shift mechanism and thus the shift forks so you end up in the gear that you've chosen.

The Toybox takes the only front and back motion of the lever to move (my guess) a racheting grooved drum that manipulates the shift cables the same way as the standard shifter would so the transmission 'sees' the same input of pushes and pulls. Each individual position on the drum corresponds to one unique combination of shift cable positions. It just translates one type of motion into another.

Hell. I gotta go look for pictures.

·
Banned
6,934 Posts
Well...it just converts upshifts (pull back) into the associated cable motions needed to hit the next gear. Same for downshifts. So to hit 2nd from 1st, only one cable moves...for 2-3 two cables...3-4 one cable. Reverse is selected using the "extra" lever. At the other end of the cables, the gearbox sees the same basic cable motions it is used to encountering. True sequential boxes will shift faster, and will sometimes do other things such as rev matching throttle blips.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Stan said:
True sequential boxes will shift faster, and will sometimes do other things such as rev matching throttle blips.
Well I think this shifter makes this package functionally a true sequential in the old school sense (motorcycles and etc.). It's only recently that the term 'sequential' has been appropriated to mean an electro-hydraulically controlled transmission with added computer throttle control.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
They actually have quite a few applications, and their prices range from 900 to 1,386 bucks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
They also have some good pix and videos to get a better idea.

Actually, this tall shifter assembly would probably fit into the Elise fairly well. A new console might be needed, however.

-J

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
But their shifters are engine specific and 2zz is not under their applications.
I dont see why the toyobox one is almost 3 times more expensive though... if the price was more along the lines of Ikeya shifters, I would be in!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,686 Posts
Jimbo said:
I'm just wondering if all that ratcheting would be a pain for street driving.
No, it is very easy. I tried one of first prototypes. It is very intuitive. KMSElise has spent a bunch of seat time in a newer version in various conditions. Mountain roads, expressway and stop and go traffic. He was very pleased with how easily it operated. He was most excited about how FUN it was. :up: Needless to say he has one on order. We're hoping to get our first batch in early Dec.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Shinoo,
If you could get the price between $1,500 and $2,000 you would have a much larger audience. I am very interested, but $3,000 -eek-
I'm sure pricing is controlled by the manufacturer though.
Can we do a group purchase that would give you a fair profit margin and give the mfg a larger production run??
Looks really trick :clap:

·
purveyor of lightness
4,278 Posts
shinoo said:
No, it is very easy. I tried one of first prototypes. It is very intuitive. KMSElise has spent a bunch of seat time in a newer version in various conditions. Mountain roads, expressway and stop and go traffic. He was very pleased with how easily it operated. He was most excited about how FUN it was. :up: Needless to say he has one on order. We're hoping to get our first batch in early Dec.
Shinoo, is there some sort of lockout to prevent you from downshifting too far? For example if you're running at the track at 100mph in 5th gear and accidently downshift twice... it would prevent you from engaging 3rd (lockout) since you'd be way over 8500rpm?

Just wondering about safety... driving the regular H-pattern you're constantly aware of what gear you're in... I'm not sure that the single digit LED display would provide enough insurance.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I can answer that one.
No, if you do something stupid like downshifting twice you will reap the fruits of your mistake. If you want electronic safeguards get an Audi A3 DSG. The problem is sometimes you want the braking of the engine and those systems won't allow you to be confident of their actions. It has been my experience that the electronic managed gearboxes are generally a huge dissapointment in high performance driving conditions. :huh:
I drove a friends 360 Modena F1 at the track and it was a crap shoot as far as what gear the trans would let you select while diving into corners. This can be very unnerving, frustrating, and uninspiring to say the least. :eek:
Don't forget that the true beauty of our cars is their simple and elegant design :clap: .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.