The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't pointed to any one vendor but it's a general question.

I see aftermarket tuners offering high performance parts such as intakes with an increase of 10 to 20 hp. How realistic is that? The supercharger in the Evora S is a 69 hp increase for the N/A version. So, can an air filter really provide almost 1/3 the difference of a supercharger?

Also, I've been told short of a turbo or supercharger, you'd have a hard time really increasing power. Butt dynos are also influenced by the placebo effective - especially based on the money spent.

I'm not knocking tuners but I'm asking because I'm considering a CAI for the Evora. I just don't see too many before and after dyno runs. And.....

How accurate are dyno tests? I've also heard the tests can be ran in ways to give favorable numbers. Though I'm not sure exactly how.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Short answer is yes simple things like an air intake can give you some power. For various reasons (e.g., noise, emissions, mpg) manufacturers will do things that limit the power output. The Evora is super quiet with a bunch of cats and silencers. I don't know but the RADIUM CAI could cause a failed CARB inspection. An ecu tune will add to that as well. You have to realize though that 15 hp really isn't a ton though.

·
Such Administrating
6,897 Posts
This isn't pointed to any one vendor but it's a general question.

I see aftermarket tuners offering high performance parts such as intakes with an increase of 10 to 20 hp. How realistic is that?
Unrealistic most of the time.

Also, I've been told short of a turbo or supercharger, you'd have a hard time really increasing power. Butt dynos are also influenced by the placebo effective - especially based on the money spent.
True and untrue. Tons of people will install an exhaust and say "damn I can feel my car pull way harder on the highway." Thats the butt dyno talking. Now, maybe if we are talking intake, exhaust, and tune, that may end up being a noticeable difference. All depends on the car/mods.

I'm not knocking tuners but I'm asking because I'm considering a CAI for the Evora. I just don't see too many before and after dyno runs. And.....

How accurate are dyno tests? I've also heard the tests can be ran in ways to give favorable numbers. Though I'm not sure exactly how.
On my other cars and back in the day, I never found a CAI to be worth it. Usually around $300, I didn't think the minimal gains were worth the money. Now on an evora, thats a good question, I've never seen dyno charts for intakes.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
if its anything like the elise/exige a CAI is worthless unless tuned. if you throw a CAI on a elise/exige the ecu will just relearn and compensate so you lose the gains. if thats the same sort of tune the evora has just keep your money in your pocket.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, about 12 years ago, I had a intake and bored out throttle body on my 1999 Boxster. Those were the only mods I've ever done to a car.

The intake (a "PowerFlow") made the low and mid range more robust but took away the top end rush. I assumed they intake did away with the air box value that opened up at high rpms. I did make a really since suction noise though. After about 10,000 miles, it caused a CEL and I had to put it back to stock for the dealer to fix it under warranty. As for the throttle body, I recall that after 5,000 miles or so, modulating the gas pedal because really difficult. I mentioned it to the dealer (thinking it was a cable adjustment) and they ended up replacing that throttle body under warranty. :mad:

So, another factor I'm concerned about is longevity. Looks like Lotus offers a supercharge kit for the Elise/Exige. Perhaps they'll do the same with the Evora.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
the most you get from an intake or exhaust is between 3 to 5 Hp at best, that 15 to 20 HP like we say in Montana is Horse sh!t!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not sure how the Evora is set up, but isn't the Elige already a cold air intake through the driver side scoop?

I'm a huge fan of mightycarmods :]
They did a series of tests with cold air intakes:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
the most you get from an intake or exhaust is between 3 to 5 Hp at best, that 15 to 20 HP like we say in Montana is Horse sh!t!!
I doubt you'd get 5hp just from an intake. If anything, the noise from a good intake is the best benefit.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Here are REAL before and after Dyno numbers, on the SAME dyno corrected for temperature and humidity, for the 2bular Header-Downpipe-Metallic Cat installed on a NA Evora.

See Post #31 at:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/2bular-na-evora-exhaust-system-117564/index2.html

The 13.26 Wheel HP increase is NOT Montana HS. If everyone would do similar testing, we ALL could see what the HP and Torque gains are for various
aftermarket components.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Most people do exhaust mods for better sound.. Gains like weight reduction and power are usually nominal and any perceivable difference is the butt dyno talking. Not that it's a bad thing. But at the end of the day what matters is how you feel about your car. I see it like buying a new jacket or getting a hair cut.. You come away feeling great about it.

For power gains to matter, where to look should be where the rubber meets the road, not on some dyno or out of your arse. Did that exhaust or CAI upgrade kill any time off your launch time? Or, more practically, passing times?

It is what it is. Some people just like to do mods as part of their enjoyment of the car. For instance, do I really need to add a catch can? Most cars don't have them or need them. Cars are designed to be robust enough to handle that extra crap that goes back into the engine just fine. But I do it anyway. We think we're doing something good for the car, and in my case I think it is. But I don't mind having to empty it out every now and then.

Anyway, the other side of the argument is trying to measure price per performance. I can tell you for a 10-15HP gain on a full exhaust upgrade it's not a winning argument. For most people, that's not the be-all-end-all measurement for a mod's worthiness. Some people have the money and don't care. Maybe it's worth it to them. They see other gains not just HP that justifies their expense.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
On Evora (go to that site for your answers BTW), the Radium CAI is extremely effective.
All the guys that have done them are getting 12-14HP!! The stock airbox was VERY restrictive for Euro sound regs. It completely transforms the car!! NO sh!t.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
You'd be wrong on this one BMW.....
The ECU's are different as they don't unlearn like our 2ZZ based Eliges. The intake and exhausts were heavily restricted! All the guys/gals doing CAI's, resonator pipes, exhausts headers, etc in their various combinations are getting huge HP gains. 25 hp is very easily gained and car is VERY noticeably faster!! We are seeing multiple 310-320 HP reports with tunes and post break in testing!
Go look at all the dyno numbers appearing as guys do these mods, drive them, and then get tested. It's not the add 5 today, lose 4.9 tomorrow syndrome the Eliges experienced.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are REAL before and after Dyno numbers, on the SAME dyno corrected for temperature and humidity, for the 2bular Header-Downpipe-Metallic Cat installed on a NA Evora.

See Post #31 at:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/2bular-na-evora-exhaust-system-117564/index2.html

The 13.26 Wheel HP increase is NOT Montana HS. If everyone would do similar testing, we ALL could see what the HP and Torque gains are for various
aftermarket components.
Dumb question, are you using and aftermarket exhaust?

The Evora will be my daily driver and I do like the sound of the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, I hope my not throwing fuel in a fire but I've heard some CAI increase power by making the ECU think the car is running lean. Any long term issues with that?

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Please take this to the Evora site. Do some research on the fuel trims that Radium has produced with their CAI.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You'd be wrong on this one BMW.....
The ECU's are different as they don't unlearn like our 2ZZ based Eliges. The intake and exhausts were heavily restricted! All the guys/gals doing CAI's, resonator pipes, exhausts headers, etc in their various combinations are getting huge HP gains. 25 hp is very easily gained and car is VERY noticeably faster!! We are seeing multiple 310-320 HP reports with tunes and post break in testing!
Go look at all the dyno numbers appearing as guys do these mods, drive them, and then get tested. It's not the add 5 today, lose 4.9 tomorrow syndrome the Eliges experienced.
Could you explain the Elige thing? Just curious about it

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Dumb question, are you using and aftermarket exhaust?

The Evora will be my daily driver and I do like the sound of the stock exhaust.
Yes, the 2bular exhaust system is an aftermarket system, using the Lotus sport Muffler.

Read this thread, from the start if you like. It has photos of the entire install.

All the "mods", except the Lotus Sport Muffler, are aftermarket. The Sport muffler has little or no HP or Torque gains by itself, and adds a slightly more robust exhaust note, but NOT as much as with the aftermarket Headers-Downtube-Metallic Cat with the Sport Muffler.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts

See Post #31 at:

aftermarket components.
PO you heard the man, go out and spend all the money, Dyno and post the numbers, BTW I'm not inMontana lol. So you spent $3K and gained 15 HP? I'd feel embarrassed to tell my S2K friends about those kinds of numbers, they get 100 HP out of their K20 any day (penny on the dollar) and still bitch is not enough... :wallbang:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts