The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be traveling to manchester on and off the month of september... how far is the Lotus plant from there..... anyone??? :) I would like to stop by and play!!
thanks

·
Registered
640 Posts
It's a couple of hundred miles at most. The hard part is getting across East to Norwich, as there are no motorways that run West to East. I would recommend M62, M1 to Nottingham or Leicester and then cut across East on either the A52/A17 (Nottm) or A47 (Leicester). Depending on traffic it may take 3 to 4 hrs. I've been out of the UK for a while so maybe some of my fellow Brits from the other side of the pond could recommend a more direct route.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
trains?

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
http://www.thetrainline.com

or

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk

This site will help you book a journey by train and shows you all of the times and changes you need to make.

It is very good:)

Timetable result: Manchester to Norwich
Here are the trains that best match your requested journey. Some places may have more than one station. View details to check the actual departure and arrival stations.

Outward journey
Tuesday 27 July 2004

Depart 13:16
Arrive 18:00
Changes 3
Duration 4:44

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
jeff8875 said:
I am going to be traveling to manchester on and off the month of september... how far is the Lotus plant from there..... anyone??? :) I would like to stop by and play!!
thanks
Factory tours are usually Wednesday and you need to call first and make a booking:)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
And while Norwich may be the closest big city, it's certainly not right around the corner. A Taxi ride from the train station to Hethel and back will be quite expensive.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
And while Norwich may be the closest big city, it's certainly not right around the corner. A Taxi ride from the train station to Hethel and back will be quite expensive.
You may be able to take a bus, you could ask Lotus when you make the booking.

I am going to fly from Manchester to Hethel. My friend that is doing the AME with me has his own plane:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi first post,

A taxi ride from Norwich to the factory will not cost the earth, at a guess about £10/£12 each way.

If you have a car on order I would not be surprised if they picked you up from Norwich train station and drive you to Hethel in a UK spec car (dont forget how important the US market is to Lotus).

If not call a local cab company from Norwich station

455555 (fivestar cabs)
666333 (bestway cabs)

If you use one of the black hackney cabs at the station it will double the cost.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
welcome, L7

·
Registered
27 Posts
I live in Manchester and have made this journey a few times.

It's around 180miles and you can do it in under 4 hours no problems if you don't hit traffic. It depends on what time of day your going, it may be easier to go by train if your gonna hit rush hour.

>This< is one of the best journey planning tools in the UK. Just type in Manchester and Norwich.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jeff, driving not too bad just depends what part of Manchester your are in, once you pick up the M1 southbound, get off at junc 18 and go east on the A14, all fast roads (dual carriageway), take the road all the way to the A11 and then go north on the A11, the road to Norwich, Lotus Cars are signed from the A11 after the Snetterton turn off (race circuit). Approx 2 1/2 to 3 hours, depending on how fast you drive.

If going by train drop Claire Stasiak an e-mail to she if she can help getting to and from the station, depends what else is happening on the day you visit as to whether they have any spare cars knocking around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts