The Lotus Cars Community banner

How good of a driver are you?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I seem to see a lot of posts where folks ask for more power for their Elise or Exige. Some go to the extend (like someone in one of the threads) to call the 06 Exige a POS just because it is N/A.
That's where I started to ask my self the question how many people on here really think they have exhausted all their limits on a N/A car and need to go SC or turbo charged.
I found myself playing with the idea of adding a super charger.
But then I started thinking about how good of a driver I really am.
I have a N/A 06 Elise. I grew up in Germany and I'm used to driving at high speeds, and I did that often.
I'm also tracking my Elise, and I think I am a decent driver - on the road as well as at my (intermediate) level at the track.
But after all I came to the conclusion that the limits of my Elise with the power it has are way higher than than what I need with my current skills, and it will be a long time before I feel like I exhausted all the limits of my N/A Elise and need to upgrade.
I think the limits of this car are way beyond of what I can handle at the moment.
So I thought I start a little poll to see how people feel about themselves and their driving capabilities.
Ok folks, pants down....:D

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Just because the limits of the car are above my driving capabilities on the track doesn't mean I don't want more power because I do. The car is crazy fun through the turns but on the 1 or 2 straights on a track I wish I had a little more "go" in it. I hope I can make it again to the track this year if only for the Black Hawk Farms event like last year. Maybe I can get a supercharger before them.... hmmm.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i don't care about thrust on the straight much at all - if i find my self back off too much in the esses right now ...i don't need any more power. but i mean - yeah, no one complains about having more power though - but for me right now, not needed.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
90 percent of the driving skill of driving a great lap go toward utilizing the last 10 percent of the available performance potential of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Just because the limits of the car are above my driving capabilities on the track doesn't mean I don't want more power...
I agree, Chuck.
There are so many car forums that seem to have this automatic response to any suggestion that more power could be useful. "What, have you really explored the full capabilities of the car"?

Let's say I'm a novice skeet shooter and I've been using a firearm provided with a package of lessons I bought. The lessons are done and I decide to buy a gun and start practicing to shoot competitively. I could get one of the used rentals from the range, but just because it leaves me with room to improve doesn't mean I wouldn't do better and learn faster with a better gun.

The point being, a craftsman or sportsman will make more of his potential with more capable tools or equipment. (Provided, of course, that he has the fundamental skills and judgement to control them safely. Everything has limits; a novice doesn't start with pro-tuned gear).

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, Chuck.
There are so many car forums that seem to have this automatic response to any suggestion that more power could be useful. "What, have you really explored the full capabilities of the car"?

Let's say I'm a novice skeet shooter and I've been using a firearm provided with a package of lessons I bought. The lessons are done and I decide to buy a gun and start practicing to shoot competitively. I could get one of the used rentals from the range, but just because it leaves me with room to improve doesn't mean I wouldn't do better and learn faster with a better gun.

The point being, a craftsman or sportsman will make more of his potential with more capable tools or equipment. (Provided, of course, that he has the fundamental skills and judgement to control them safely. Everything has limits; a novice doesn't start with pro-tuned gear).
I see your point and I totally understand it.
But I usually take a different approach.
I'd probably be the one buying the used gun and use it until I feel that I need something more sophisticated in order to improve my skills...
By gaining experience with the used gun I'd have a better idea of what kind of high end gun I want to spend big bucks on at the end.
But that's just my approach....

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
even at track days i might do 6 and 1/2 tenths of the car. though for about 4 laps of my last lime rock event i was pretty close to 8.... though it was followed closely by lift over steer and three full 360 spins down the middle of the front straight... at 110mph

because i was in some zone and really should not have been driving that fast! must say for those 5-6 mins... wow what a [email protected]#$ ing rush!

now with the s/cer, i find myself drive a bit slower on the highways and a bit calmer around town...

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Over time, as manufacturers discover more efficient ways to give us more power, arguments like this become moot. If we can extract more power without sacrificing too much weight, bring it on! :)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I think that most drivers fall into a "I can use 92% of the car's capabilities" or 90% or 95% or whatever.

If you increase the capability of the car, you're probably going to be faster, even if you weren't at the limits of the car before the upgrade.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Doesn't take skill to go fast in a straight line. Which is the reason for more power.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think that most drivers fall into a "I can use 92% of the car's capabilities" or 90% or 95% or whatever.

If you increase the capability of the car, you're probably going to be faster, even if you weren't at the limits of the car before the upgrade.
This makes sense.

I've also heard the statement, "I keep getting passed in the straights." when I've asked people why they are upgrading or buying new w/ more power. Does that really reflect on the capacity of the driver? Seems like one could bang through the gears perfectly on the straights and still loose all the gains made in the turns on other less agile but more powerful cars.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Until I have trouble putting power down coming out of corners, or unless burying the throttle in a straight line causes the back to waggle, I could use more...

I had no issue safely using all 220 in my super 7, all 240 in an Exige 240 I drove recently or all 193ish in the elise/exiges I have had.

In the context of the question, I'd say I'm above average, maybe even well above avearage, but having never competed beyond the local level, It's hard to say for sure.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Until I have trouble putting power down coming out of corners, or unless burying the throttle in a straight line causes the back to waggle, I could use more...
Agreed.

The question posed in this poll is pertinent to those of us who have to decide whether we track a 600cc or a 1000cc motorcycle. However, as geezer says, I don't think too many of us are overwhelmed by the power of the Lotus.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts