The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of the cars I'm looking at don't have a hardtop. I'd really like a hard top but would like to avoid having to pay $3000 for a new one from Lotus Garage.

Are there any places to get a "used" hardtop or a cheaper alternative for a new one?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Keep your eyes open in the "Parts for Sale " forum. One will turn up. They go for about $1000, although I bought one for much less. You can try to wait for one in your exact color, or grab any one on the market. Painting will cost a few hundred. In reality, many people rarely/never use their hard tops. I'm one of them... I've probably driven with it twice in the past year. But my car is just a weekend fun car.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
+1

Used tops seem to turn up about once a month between LT and eBay.

The only thing about buying a used one is having to wait around to get one.

I bought my Elise in 2009 and while I was waiting for delivery I guess I got anxious and actually bought two hardtops.

Two hardtops and no car! My wife was puzzled to say the least.

I kept one and sold off the other.

·
Premium Member
2,961 Posts
I bought my Elise in 2009 and while I was waiting for delivery I guess I got anxious and actually bought two hardtops.

Two hardtops and no car! My wife was puzzled to say the least.
I bought a Racing Beat Miata front sway bar before I found a Miata to buy. My wife just shrugged.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
It took me over a year to get the top I wanted. If you're in a rush I would buy any color and paint it yourself. Automovtivetouchup.com I bought 7 cans for interrior work and they matched perfectly. Cans are $20 each. Tops are around $1300 with shipping.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you watch they show up now and then for about a grand. Most tracks here require them.
Didn't think that most tracks require them, any way if you get the wrong color you could always get a vinyl cf wrap, cheaper than paint and goes really good with the lines of the car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I prefer my car with the hardtop on. I don't take it off. If I want an open top experience I drive the Miata.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a hardtop on my '05 Elise, chrome orange. I've probably used it 3 times since I had the car.

Shameless plug - my car (and hardtop) are for sale on eBay, reserve met, and closing in 2 hours. :(

·
Premium Member
6,190 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts