The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! My 2011 Evora is in the shop for a bunch of things, including warping of the passenger airbag cover and the corresponding panel on the driver's side. My dealer is quoting around $900 in labor to replace those panels. Now my best friend, my girlfriend, and I are all MIT-trained engineers (software, but close enough) so I'm wondering if it's not something we can't do at least half as well as the dealer in twice the time, and save the money for a Larini exhaust. I've seen the stereo replacement threads, but I haven't seen reports of a full DIY dash removal, which it seems like is required. Has anybody done this, and on a scale of "you'd be an idiot not to" to "if you attempt it you'll end up fighting off sharks" how hard was it? Thanks!

·
Illegal Alien
5,258 Posts
Of course none of this is rocket science, however some "simple" tasks are better handled by a midget with octopus arms, fingers of a monkey with eyeball in the tips. Review the Service Notes recently posted by a member to get some idea roadblocks.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have an incredibly annoying dash rattle coming from somewhere in the lower left vicinity of the steering wheel column. It has been plaguing me ever since my original dash was replaced under warranty a year ago for a bubble in the leather. My dealer says they won't address it as it would take them too long to diagnose the issue. This seems like a bunk excuse to me, but unfortunately I don't really have much recourse.

I tried the foam insert thing that somebody suggested in a youtube video, which helped slightly, but not entirely. Would be great if somebody did a DIY pictorial on removing the dash, because the rattle is driving me insane at times.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Taking the dash apart may be a DIY job given some patience and the proper tools, but dealing with the air bag (e.g., disconnecting and re-setting) will probably require access to the controller via exclusive Lotus/dealer software.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,931 Posts
Taking the dash apart may be a DIY job given some patience and the proper tools, but dealing with the air bag (e.g., disconnecting and re-setting) will probably require access to the controller via exclusive Lotus/dealer software.
Not if the battery is left disconnected while doing so.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Not hard at all !!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I once had to do a similar job on an old non-lotus car. I used Craigslist and interviewed (by phone) 3-4 mechanics out work, found one with the right experience and paid him $20/hr to do it side by side with me. Was worth every cent.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
My dealer toly me Lotus estimates something like 5 hours work time to remove the dash, reinstallation the same. So, doing it yourself without experience doulbe that figure at least.

All the Service Notes tell you it the sequence of steps, but not really how to do the steps themselves.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Just have a few beers and have at it. Please have someone video the project.

·
Illegal Alien
5,258 Posts
The Service Notes description is more comprehensive on removal than I would have expected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice everyone! Parts have been ordered, hopefully I'll be able to do the install next weekend. I'll be sure to take lots of photos and post the results.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Lotus is charging you labor time because of their faulty dash? I hope I'm misinterpreting you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the car used, and it's now out of warranty. The previous owner got a bunch of stuff fixed under warranty (including a new clutch), but not this.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a rattle too on the left side of the dashboard. As they fixed my "wrong" tachymeter and pulled this thing out, I thought that this noise can be eliminated via the tachymeter whole. But it is to far inside.
Anyhow, it is not a big work to get the techymeter out, but as alwyas: you need to know which screw has to be taken out first etc.
Agust 23rd the board will be taken out and this silly noise will finally be eliminated. Then I could say, where and how the board has to be handled.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The airbag cover panels are on galactic backorder, are you sure you'll get it?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I bought the car used, and it's now out of warranty. The previous owner got a bunch of stuff fixed under warranty (including a new clutch), but not this.
I could be mistaken, but I thought I had read on this forum of an owner out of warranty having the dash replaced on the factory's dime. It's obvious from the experiences shared here that the dash in terms of materials is of inferior quality, before or after the warranty period.

And, yes, I know, it's a Lotus, get out your tools and suck it up. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,978 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
5,258 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
I had a really annoying dashboard rattle from somewhere near the left A pillar. The dealer had to replace the instrument cluster so they fixed the rattle at the same time, by inserting or replacing some kind of clip or bracket. This was either a known problem or there was an actual TSB on it. Can't quite remember at this point.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts