The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I had a clam hinge installed on my Exige and the battery was relocated. I’ve always hated the new location because it is so hard to access. Every time I changed my battery I had to tilt the clam. And to tilt the Exige clam is not as easy as an Elise.
Recently my battery died and of course I have to tilt my clam to change it. So I brainstormed a different location for my battery. After a few weekends, I found a perfect spot for it.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the old location for my battery. It is hidden behind the air duct. I hated this location so much

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First step was to remove my OEM glass windshield. I then used it as a pattern to cut my own using a panel of carbon fiber.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also decided to ditch the OEM air duct that feeds the intercooler. So I decided to make my own for the intercooler.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,403 Posts
Thanks for posting this, I've been looking to relocate my battery and I like that idea better than other options. What did you bolt the CF plate to? It looks like you used bolts vs. just normal window adhesive.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for posting this, I've been looking to relocate my battery and I like that idea better than other options. What did you bolt the CF plate to? It looks like you used bolts vs. just normal window adhesive.
Correct. So the OEM glass windshield is bonded to the fiberglass body. I installed rivnuts into the fiberglass and used M5 bolts to secure the windshield. I also lined the areas where the windshield would normally bond to the fiberglass with self adhesive weather stripping. This way there’s nothing leaking into the cabin. And the best part is my windshield is removable.
If you really want to do this project just shoot me a pm. I can provide you with all the vendors that I used for parts.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Wow, great work!

·
2006 Exige
727 Posts
Very nice! Good to see a new idea.

How hard was it to get the old rear window out? What tool(s) did you use? It sounds like you got it out in 1 piece!?!?

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice! Good to see a new idea.

How hard was it to get the old rear window out? What tool(s) did you use? It sounds like you got it out in 1 piece!?!?
Honestly it was a bitch. It took me 3 hours. It was my first time ever removing a windshield. I just looked it up on YouTube and I bought this tool.

the tool worked well for the top part of the windshield but it didn’t fit on the bottom part. So I made my own tool. Luckily I had a long piece of rectangular steel that was about 1 inch in width and about 3mm thick; I sharpened one end of it into a blade like tool and used it like a chisel. I hammered it into the adhesive with a rubber mallet making sure to press the angle blade against the glass.

Three hours later I got it out in one piece and used it as a stencil for my carbon fiber piece. I feel like I can do it in half the time now because I have the experience. The three hours also included tilting the clam.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,160 Posts
20 minutes with a Dremel Multimax with the Flexible scraper blade... cut right through the adhesive like a hot knife through butter. Used it for the front windshield too!

Replaced it with a "flat" sheet of Optic Armor coated Lexan - trace templated and jigsaw cut... saved 1.87 lbs. :)

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
It's such a clean installation. My OCD is jealous and proud. Even the different carbon pieces have the grain aligned. Please accept my sincere congratulations for your work. Very nicely done!

San

1 - 20 of 38 Posts