The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
20 minutes with a Dremel Multimax with the Flexible scraper blade... cut right through the adhesive like a hot knife through butter. Used it for the front windshield too!

View attachment 1265468 View attachment 1265469 View attachment 1265470

Replaced it with a "flat" sheet of Optic Armor coated Lexan - trace templated and jigsaw cut... saved 1.87 lbs. :)
Wow. Nice. I wish I knew about this beforehand, but it was a good learning experience for me. Btw, your car is one of my favorites on this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's such a clean installation. My OCD is jealous and proud. Even the different carbon pieces have the grain aligned. Please accept my sincere congratulations for your work. Very nicely done!

San
Thanks San. That means a lot coming from you.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
An old trick I learned from a wrecking yard on removing windshields was to use a strand from an emergency/parking brake cable. It'll slide through the adhesive and then you use it like a two handed saw. I had never removed a windshield and I was able to do one without breaking it by myself. Of course, back then, the tool that David used was not available. I've see the tool cut hard plastic like it was butter. Everyone should have one of those in their tool box.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Very cool mod. How close is your new vent/scoop/tube to your head? Any concern with the weight of the battery up so high mounted the way it is? Looks really secure and the carbon panel won't flex, just curious on thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Very cool mod. How close is your new vent/scoop/tube to your head? Any concern with the weight of the battery up so high mounted the way it is? Looks really secure and the carbon panel won't flex, just curious on thoughts.
Thanks mate. Honestly when I’m driving I can’t even see the air scoop in my peripheral vision so it’s no where in the way of my head. The carbon panel is 3mm thick. It’s extremely stiff. I had to buy special carbide drill bits to drill into it. And the Shorai battery weighs only 4.5 lbs. the battery came with self adhesive foam. I used the foam to line my bracket so there is absolutely no movement in the battery. It’s very secured.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,478 Posts
The adhesive-backed foam Shorai provides is great, and they give you a lot of it. It's great for projects.

San

·
7,478 Posts
I’m saving mine as well for the future San. They were very generous with that foam.
Yes, they were. I have two large Ziploc bags full of it and I like it so much I'm stingy with it, in that I only use as much as I need. That's how much I like it.

Another nice thing about you battery location is that it's easily accessible for the charger port. Did you buy the Shorai charger?
San

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yes, they were. I have two large Ziploc bags full of it and I like it so much I'm stingy with it, in that I only use as much as I need. That's how much I like it.

Another nice thing about you battery location is that it's easily accessible for the charger port. Did you buy the Shorai charger?
San
Yes, I followed your advice in a separate thread and bought their charger. How long do I have to go without driving until I should plug it in? I no longer have an alarm or immobilizer that can potentially drain the battery.

·
7,478 Posts
Yes, I followed your advice in a separate thread and bought their charger. How long do I have to go without driving until I should plug it in? I no longer have an alarm or immobilizer that can potentially drain the battery.
If you don't have any parasitic drains, it should be able to sit for a long time. I'd put it in Storage mode every month or so just for grins. Storage mode conditions the individual cells. I have a Shorai in my R1M and V4S and I've never connected the charger to them, as getting under the seat is a hassle, they don't really have substantial drains and I didn't buy the extension connectors. I know I've gone months without starting one and they've been fine. It will also depend on how often you drive the Exige. I rarely drive mine as I have to move three bikes out of the garage just to pull the Exige out.

San

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've used this with great success for removing glass:
You can get it for $80 on sale/signing up for e-mail.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts