The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it completely necessary? I saw the spec sheet for what they do, I have changed the oil out already. From looking at the spec sheet it looks like they just check some bolts and I do not feel like driving 300 miles round trip for that.

Opinions?

Cost?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
you will have a very difficult time explaining that to a future buyer, that of course in addition to the fact that it will probably void your warranty altogether. worth it alone just for that fact. i drive 150 miles round trip. oh and an ECU dump is mandatory for 05 cars at that service interval. for warranty purposes

expect to spend between 300-400 bucks. (varies on location)

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Is it completely necessary? I saw the spec sheet for what they do, I have changed the oil out already. From looking at the spec sheet it looks like they just check some bolts and I do not feel like driving 300 miles round trip for that.

Opinions?

Cost?
Everything Z said, plus, being a new owner you should be aware that "checking some bolts" on this car isn't something to brush off, especially if you expect to drive it as intended. Get it inspected.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet thanks guys, ill schedule for the end of the week.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
I'd have thought the 1k service should have been done already due to time rather than miles on an 05?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know, is there a specific time for the 1K service, I thought it was just between 1-1.5 K miles ?

·
Registered
873 Posts
No, it is not time but milege that dictates the 1k service. Yes, it is costly, but it is a good idea and from this point on you can handle all the service yourself aside from warranty issues of course.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Just an FYI, I got denied a warranty claim from Lotus Corp. because previous owner didn't keep a record of the 1k service. Both he and the Lotus sales guy say it was done, but no record of it at the dealership (long story) or by the owner.

The 1 year brake flushes can go the same way.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
I don't know, is there a specific time for the 1K service, I thought it was just between 1-1.5 K miles ?
The schedule for the 1k service interval for my Elise (2002 - not Fed Elise) was the first of either 1k or 12 months. All following services follow that pattern (mileage or time, whichever is first) at maximum 12 month intervals (so my car has never had a specific mileage related service - it just gets annual ones).

A minimum schedule of an annual service is pretty normal.

·
Registered
398 Posts
wheew can someone answer me this one then...

I have 704 miles on an exige located in NYC that I am picking up tomorrow and driving it back to mi... I expect 650-800 miles on the car from pick up to taking it to the dealer here in michigan...

will I void the warranty doing this????

·
Registered
259 Posts
you will have a very difficult time explaining that to a future buyer, that of course in addition to the fact that it will probably void your warranty altogether. worth it alone just for that fact. i drive 150 miles round trip. oh and an ECU dump is mandatory for 05 cars at that service interval. for warranty purposes

expect to spend between 300-400 bucks. (varies on location)
I have an owner’s manual and a shop manual. I have never seen a statement that the 1K check must be performed by a dealer to maintain warranty. Lotus of Greenwich never mentioned it when I bought the car. The ECU was re-flashed at another dealer and they never mentioned it either.
What am I missing?

Thanks,

2006 Elise Sport

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
BobaFettm, I would check with your local dealer. It "shouldn't" be a problem, but always nice to talk to your local service manager.

Vinsta, I'm not sure if it is actually required, but I got denied a failed brake caliper due to no record of the 1k being done, or more specifically the brake fluid not being changed out at the 1 year interval. The part that got me was the car was sitting on the same dealer's lot when the 1 year came due. But Lotus corp. (not the dealer I want to stress) still denied my claim. A good $500-600 or so out of pocket on that one...

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
wheew can someone answer me this one then...

I have 704 miles on an exige located in NYC that I am picking up tomorrow and driving it back to mi... I expect 650-800 miles on the car from pick up to taking it to the dealer here in michigan...

will I void the warranty doing this????
I take it you are not getting it from a Lotus dealer and that the 1k service has not yet been carried out? When was the car first registered?

You may be able to drive by a Lotus dealer on your trip and have the ECU dump carried out if nothing else (shouldn't take them long) which would allow you to get home with confidence.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I got my 1k service done two weeks ago at HRM.
Found out that Lotus doesn't have ECU programs for Windows Vista out yet... so they couldn't perform download/ECU dump or whatever you call it. :shrug:
Sherman told me pretty much all '08 cars are out of luck... :shrug:
So just oild change and torquing toe link bolts were all... :shrug:
What the hell...:shrug:
Any '08 owners had similar problem/service I had? :confused:

p.s.
How much engine oil do you put in?... they put 5qts in and it was over the top indication on the dip stick so I had to go through trouble pumping some oil out...
No, I wasn't too happy about it. :mad:

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Some folks really need to read and / or refer to their owner's manuals...

The 1k service (also called the After Sales Service) is required between 1,000 and 1,500 miles. BobaFettm, I'd have the service completed as soon as you can when you get home.

EpRAnGia, engine oil should be 4.7 U.S. qt (4.4 litre) including amount used to fill the filter. If the front oil coolers are drained (not normally drained on standard oil change) you must add 3.7 U.S. qt (3.5 litre) in addition to the normal amount.

·
Registered
744 Posts
BobaFettm, I would check with your local dealer. It "shouldn't" be a problem, but always nice to talk to your local service manager.

Vinsta, I'm not sure if it is actually required, but I got denied a failed brake caliper due to no record of the 1k being done, or more specifically the brake fluid not being changed out at the 1 year interval. The part that got me was the car was sitting on the same dealer's lot when the 1 year came due. But Lotus corp. (not the dealer I want to stress) still denied my claim. A good $500-600 or so out of pocket on that one...

A Businessperson's Guide to Federal Warranty Law

Given the Magnuson-Moss Act, I do not see how it is legal for Lotus or any dealer in the US to void a warranty due to a second, but unrelated warranty issue. If you did not complete the 1000 mile checkup how does this impact the warranty on a short-lived caliper???

Seems fishy. At least based on US law. :shrug:

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have the Cleveland Lotus dealer number in my phone so ill just call them tomorrow morning and see if they can fit me in Wed. when I would be going through Cleveland anyways... it sounds like an oil change... ECU dump and a few things to look over!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I have an owner’s manual and a shop manual. I have never seen a statement that the 1K check must be performed by a dealer to maintain warranty. Lotus of Greenwich never mentioned it when I bought the car. The ECU was re-flashed at another dealer and they never mentioned it either.
What am I missing?

Thanks,

2006 Elise Sport
Its only necessary on the 2005 cars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got my 1k service done two weeks ago at HRM.
Found out that Lotus doesn't have ECU programs for Windows Vista out yet... so they couldn't perform download/ECU dump or whatever you call it. :shrug:
Sherman told me pretty much all '08 cars are out of luck... :shrug:
So just oild change and torquing toe link bolts were all... :shrug:
What the hell...:shrug:
Any '08 owners had similar problem/service I had? :confused:

p.s.
How much engine oil do you put in?... they put 5qts in and it was over the top indication on the dip stick so I had to go through trouble pumping some oil out...
No, I wasn't too happy about it. :mad:
Yep my dealer couldn't do the ECU dump yet either on my 2008 Exige S 240. Likely the same reason.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts