The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several people who have visted the factory have mentioned that each car has a build order. This describes the car and the options that are to be installed.

How does build order get determined? When LotusUK got the orders from LotusUSA which in turn got orders from the dealers, how do they figure out how its done and in what order.

Do all orders from dealer A get built first? We know it is not by depositor date order, since Lotus UK doesnt have a record of this. Did all dealers give their orders for the first 10 cars and then Lotus picked them out of a hat? Or did they do car order#1 for dealer A, car order #1 for dealer B and so on and then go to the second car ordered at each dealership?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
A lot of the actual build-order simply depends on the parts that Lotus have received from their suppliers.

If they happened to have received a new batch of cloth seats and running low on leather ones then they'll 'pick and choose' from the immediate queue of orders all the cars that were specced with cloth interior and start building them.

In my case they did have a 'pre-build' order queue at the factory which usually covers about 2 weeks worth of cars.

At this time the order is 'final' and is basically the way the car will be built.

If any parts have delays (in my case the lightning yellow paint was held back as there were problems) then orders affected will be put on 'hold' and won't be entered into the production order-queue until the problems are resolved.

Usually they do try to grab a whole batch of 'held' orders when such a hold-up/problem has been resolved.

For the fed-ELise I suspect that LCU does the initial queue-ordering for USA orders and the factory simply works it's way down the list with the possible changes I described above.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
xxxotic said:
Several people who have visted the factory have mentioned that each car has a build order. This describes the car and the options that are to be installed.

How does build order get determined? When LotusUK got the orders from LotusUSA which in turn got orders from the dealers, how do they figure out how its done and in what order.

Do all orders from dealer A get built first? We know it is not by depositor date order, since Lotus UK doesnt have a record of this. Did all dealers give their orders for the first 10 cars and then Lotus picked them out of a hat? Or did they do car order#1 for dealer A, car order #1 for dealer B and so on and then go to the second car ordered at each dealership?
I have heard several rumors for how build order is decided. Here are five of the most likely methods:

1. Divining rod.
2. Ouji Board.
3. Ground hog.
4. Tea leaf reading.
5. Magic 8 Ball.
6. DOOMED... My bad:D

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Arno said:

For the fed-ELise I suspect that LCU does the initial queue-ordering for USA orders and the factory simply works it's way down the list with the possible changes I described above.

Bye, Arno.
Agreed. And it is supposed to be in the order as given to them by the dealer. Number one is number one, with some adjustment for paint and problems as you noted.

How they determine what all the number ones, from all the dealers, get prioritized, I have no idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts