The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's the company doing? I saw some recent news that cash flow is getting tight and suppliers aren't being paid.

I ask because I'm still undecided between a new 981S or a used Evora S. Fortunately, I still have 3 months to decide.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I have never regretted buying my Elise. Lotus though seems to always be hanging on by a thread.

If you buy the Evora, at least you have a Toyota engine and transmission.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I came on board in 2003 when things look really bright with the Elise finally coming to the states. Not sure how things got bungled (except for the constant price hikes on the Elise). ;)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Doesn't really matter. Think of it like buying any popular vintage car - parts will always be harder to come by, etc.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
danny buried Lotus with 300mil or so of debt. no way they can pay it back, and no way they can earn that revenue - so they are broke and not building cars.

only fix is for someone to sink even more cash in.... or for the banks to write off the debt... or for lotus to go insolvent and have someone pick up the pieces...

DRB has been trying to make option #2 happen (to avoid option #3), without success it seems. doubt anyone will put money in now that they are unable to manufacture cars for sale.

Danny ef'd Lotus up bad.

so get your Evora while you can :)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
DRB Hicom signed an agreement with Honda today. The agreement is more for Proton than any benefit to Lotus specifically. Things are getting worse for Lotus on a daily basis. There are a back log of customers who put a deposit down on the new V6 Exige S - not a single one has been delivered and they seem to get strung along with some new excuse every day. Bottom line is suppliers haven't been paid and DRB is asking to postpone their taxes. Make of that what you will but it doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
246 Posts
article in current Automobile magazine. Basically suggesting that they get out of the business of building cars as the only way to survive. Apparently Audi took a look, but no go. Not sure it is worse than previously, but they can't sell enough cars for the current enthusiasts to actually make any money. It will be interesting to see what plan they come up with, but it sure sounds pretty shaky at this point.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
actually Lotus has proven they can sell enough cars to be profitable, but what they can not do now, is sell enough cars to put a dent in the debt they have recently been put under. thats the mega problem.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is there any actual evidence that Lotus has made any money on their car business in the past several years? I don't have any facts to the contrary, but I was under the impression that the engineering business was profitable and offset the car losses, but overall they were not making money for many years. Hard to imagine that you can sell a few hundred cars/year in the US and make any money. Again, I want this to be different, but the small volume cars (pagani, bugatti, etc) sell for big $$$ to make any money. I can't imagine that you can sell a similar volume of cars for under $100k and be profitable. Maybe I am missing something, but very skeptical at this point. I think some company has to see the value of the overall business and commit to making a lot more cars to have a ligitimate business case.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hard to imagine that you can sell a few hundred cars/year in the US and make any money.
The US isn't the entire world, nor the world's total car market. Many brands make a profit without selling a single car in the US!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
246 Posts
Agree. So how many cars worldwide? Does that Change the point? If you only sell a few hundred cars or even a few thousand then you better be able to charge a fortune for them to make a profit and the margins need to be fabulous. Otherwise, you need to sell multiple thousands. Not a huge Porsche fan, but how did they become a success? They leverage systems across a broad range, did an SUV, etc. same switches, gauges, steering wheel, etc no matter what you buy from them. I don't like it, but to stay in business you have to make money-- we'll duh! I have bought 4 Lotus cars and love them, but every time I feel Iike I am partially making a donation.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Oh, BTW, which car companies sell only a few hundred cars outside the US and make a profit?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Oh, BTW, which car companies sell only a few hundred cars outside the US and make a profit?
You said a few hundred in the US and implied that meant zero in the ROTW. I was saying there are companies that sell zero or tiny amounts in the US and sell a lot elsewhere. Peugeot Citroen; Alfa Romeo; Proton; until the new 500, Fiat...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts