The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering not that there are quite a few people who own an Elise here now, what thier thoughts of the single windshield wiper were. I was sondering if at high speeds it is adequate, and if it follows the curves of the windsheild very well. Just curious guys. Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Works surprisingly well. The windshield washers are another thing entirely - pretty pathetic.

I'm a little worried about where I might find a replacement wiper.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think the one wiper works very well. One of my nozzles sprays a little high though, is there a way to adjust it?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Look's great, work's great. Great for the driver's view.
Hate the wiper's on the S2000 because of the view

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
There is a tool that is like one of those extendable attenna/pointers where one end goes into the nozzle jet and the other extends to indicate a reference to where it would hit (of course it won't actually hit it since the trajectory is subject to gravity). Or...you can use a pin :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ah.. Adjusting the nozzles...

Take your time and work in tiny, tiny, tiny movements.. It takes a lot of tries and fiddling, but it can be done :)

The water is sprayed at a very narrow angle across the windscreen, so any adjustment quickly moves the 'target' a huge distance.

I usually try to aim them a little over 1/2 the height of the windscreen.

Because they are so low and close to the windscreen you may even notice that (unlike other cars) the water doesn't go that much lower at speed. Actually it may 'overshoot' the window as the air that rushes along the glass carries the droplets away..

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I made a modification to my car where I used spray bars from a Peugeot 405 which attach pipes to the wiper arm and then spray directly onto the windshield from the wiper arm as it sweeps. This was great until I tried a high speed run in Germany and it blew off at a bit over 140mph.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Mean TT said:
I was wondering not that there are quite a few people who own an Elise here now, what thier thoughts of the single windshield wiper were. I was sondering if at high speeds it is adequate, and if it follows the curves of the windsheild very well. Just curious guys. Thanks :cool:
Just got home from my first serious downpour while driving the Elise. The wiper is good enough in everything but the most extreme thunderstorm. Just to be on the safe side, I'm putting rain-x on as soon as the weather gets better. Today, the single wiper, on it's fastest speed, just didn't work at all.

I snapped a picture of the windshield with my camera phone while crawling along in 1st gear. As you can see...you can't see a thing!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Au111 said:
Works surprisingly well. The windshield washers are another thing entirely - pretty pathetic.

I'm a little worried about where I might find a replacement wiper.
My memory isn't what it was, but I believe that the blade is 18 inches. I couldn't find a frame+blade replacement that used the same method to attach to the arm so I just threw away the new frame and threaded the blade into the stock frame. Much better. The stock blade mostly left smeary rubber deposits everywhere. The new one works fine. Rain-X makes it even better.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Good point on the wax. :D Defintely get some rain-x, Zaino, Rejex, Klasse, Platinum, P21S, or whatever on your windshield.

Water just rushes off with Zaino on the windshield, and you don't have to use as high of a wiper setting. That's my experience, but I haven't been in a monsoon or anything...

- J

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Drove home through a thunderstorm a couple weeks ago with a RainX'd windshield - the wiper had good coverage - I was pleasantly surprised, in fact.

ed

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
With Rain-x I don't ever run wipers at night. During the day the glare gets you, though. The one wiper system seem to work as well as other two wiper systems I've had, which is not perfect but adequate.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
MiamiLotus said:
I replaced the OEM Lotus wiper with a Valeo. A much better wiper, and it's lighter too! :up:
Where can I buy such a wiper blade? And which blade fits the Elise?

Neil

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Little Bastard said:
Where can I buy such a wiper blade? And which blade fits the Elise?

Neil
I bought mine on ebay. For info and more pictures, check out www.tirerack.com.

The 20" is a little long, I had to cut around 2" off one end, The 18" is probably a perfect fit. The main spine of the wiper is made of spring steel and fits the curve of the Elise's windshield perfectly. Tested the wiper in Miami's recent torrential rains and it worked great. Another great benefit is the low profile, not doubt it is more aerodynamic.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
MiamiLotus said:
I bought mine on ebay. For info and more pictures, check out www.tirerack.com.

The 20" is a little long, I had to cut around 2" off one end, The 18" is probably a perfect fit. The main spine of the wiper is made of spring steel and fits the curve of the Elise's windshield perfectly. Tested the wiper in Miami's recent torrential rains and it worked great. Another great benefit is the low profile, not doubt it is more aerodynamic.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Plus the single wiper just LOOKS COOL!

Mike

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
andykeck said:
I couldn't find a frame+blade replacement that used the same method to attach to the arm so I just threw away the new frame and threaded the blade into the stock frame.
Why not just buy a wiper blade refill in the first place? :confused: I never buy a replacement frame, just the blade refills for any of my cars...

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
TimMullen said:
Why not just buy a wiper blade refill in the first place? :confused: I never buy a replacement frame, just the blade refills for any of my cars...
The craptastic auto parts place I went to didn't have any refill-only options in the 18" size. And I wanted a new blade right then since it was raining lightly and I was done with the smeary rubber effect of the old blade.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
andykeck said:
I wanted a new blade right then since it was raining lightly and I was done with the smeary rubber effect of the old blade.
Okay, that makes sense - desperation...;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts