The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going through the Elise I just bought. It had a stereo put in it at one point. The installation is a total hack job. The most infuriating part is that they completely compromised the fitment of the passenger airbag cover.

I know that the cover is supposed to be held on by four clips designed to break and be replaced any time the cover is removed. The question is, what part of what is pictured here is factory, and what part of it has been added by whatever idiot installed the stereo? My guess is that everything but the strip of velcro along the lower edge is factory. It should just be held on by the four clips alone and then have that white flap just setting there, no velcro or anything, right?

Seriously, the jackass had the top edge of the airbag cover hot glued to the dash. HOT #@%&ING GLUE!! :mad: So now I get to clean all that off. Why do people do such awful work to such nice cars?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
The four little black plastic discs on the cover in The corners are the part that gets replaced .

those will unscrew out with a pair of pliers.

you'll also see for little disks on the actual dash in the same areas, that's the other half of the thing that you got a remove and replace. They just push into the dash n fall out.

the long sticky crooked Velcro and all the glue is what they added and u need goo b gone'

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
I believe those four round holes at the left and right edge (two each side), line up with the four holes in the dash. The fasteners are sacrificial plastic parts that break when the bag deploys (or a technician pulls the panel free). Replace the four plastic clips.

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
Text Font Auto part Subcompact car Vehicle

The left side is the part that screws into the actual cover the right side is the side that clicks into the dash.
you can see the breaking point right in the center to install it just screw all your Clips in and then press the cover back on

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I understand the principle of the clips and where they are located, I just wasn't sure what all was factory and what was added in my car. It sounds like the velcro should come off, but the white plastic flap that it's stuck to is factory.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
eek, was this a fully upholstered dash? You're doing the right thing bringer her back, do a before/after shoot!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The cover is supposed to "hang" when it is not attached. It is annoying when working in that area. If you buy some if those clips do yourself a favor and buy 8 or 12. Because once you see how easy it is to remove you will probably do it again at some point in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going through the Elise I just bought. It had a stereo put in it at one point. The installation is a total hack job. The most infuriating part is that they completely compromised the fitment of the passenger airbag cover.

I know that the cover is supposed to be held on by four clips designed to break and be replaced any time the cover is removed. The question is, what part of what is pictured here is factory, and what part of it has been added by whatever idiot installed the stereo? My guess is that everything but the strip of velcro along the lower edge is factory. It should just be held on by the four clips alone and then have that white flap just setting there, no velcro or anything, right?

Seriously, the jackass had the top edge of the airbag cover hot glued to the dash. HOT #@%&ING GLUE!! :mad: So now I get to clean all that off. Why do people do such awful work to such nice cars?

Thanks in advance.
I had the same issue, had a new stereo put in the car and the guy opened up the airbag cover and now its ajar. I see in the replies someone mentioned those clips are break away. do you know where to get new ones? ill need to replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
View attachment 237449

The left side is the part that screws into the actual cover the right side is the side that clicks into the dash.
you can see the breaking point right in the center to install it just screw all your Clips in and then press the cover back on

do you know where I can pick up those clips you posted a picture about? I have the same problem as OP. Do I need to take any precautions when messing with this flap and opening it? Im just worried about accidental airbag detonation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ran into a similar thing when redoing my Elise dash (evicting mice)... GRP has clips for sale. I ended up just 3M double sided taping mine until the parts came in. They truly are one time use, so be strategic when installing them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts