The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i`m not mistaking I read ( more then onces ) that the elise ( mines a 06 ) has a learning ECU...my question is really how smart is this thing? I want to get a exhaust and a intake, but that would lean it right out. so i`m thinking maybe just exhaust till I get a turbo setup this winter with a tunable ecu. Is the ecu smart enough to compensate the A/F for a exhaust? I don`t want this thing backfiring everytime I back off. and would it eventually learn it enough that I could get a cold air on there to and still have a decent A/F ?

thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
you can run a CAi and exhaust or header with no problem as long as you use parts that were designed to work with and not get adjusted by the ECU. The weapon r header i have tested over and over and their intake was also designed in order to not get corrected by the ecu and combined they have made over 10whp gains that stay and dont get tuned out by the ECU. I have seen other intakes get corrected by the ecu and the power gains lost slightly over time due to the design of them. The weapon r intake is different and actually holds that power over time.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Plus Lotus offers a stage II exhaust themselves. Can't argue with that, unless they're trying to sell you snake oil...

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Plus Lotus offers a stage II exhaust themselves. Can't argue with that, unless they're trying to sell you snake oil...
They are selling you sound.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Is the exhaust something that can also be learnt? I thought changing exhaust losses wouldnt effect fuel mix?

Can someone list the CAI and (exhaust systems?) that from a ECU learning perspective arent a complete waste of time and money??

I was just reading about

ITG Air Box Induction System - Carbon Fibre Air Box - Elise MK1 : Hangar 111: Lotus Performance Parts for the Lotus Elise Exige & 340R

is this snake oil or one that doesnt get unlearnt?

What about this one? HKS RACING SUCTION INTAKE SYSTEM Elise EXIGE

....snake oil?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
exhausts are usually fine.

CAI's are a mixed bag, even when they do work its not much power, they're mostly noisemakers.

CAI's cause problems if the bore is changed, the distance from the maf to the throttle body is too close (6 inches as a ball park), or the airflow is changed where its read.

·
Registered
184 Posts
hey Charlie!

I overnited you an ecu yesterday (06 Exige needs Katana tune). Hopefully it can be turned quickly , let me know if I need to send you more $ to get it expedited. I forgot to mention (if it makes a difference to your tuning) that the car has header, no cat and a Arqray dual muffler and also has larger injectors and a cai.

thanks,
Clint

SIC inc.

·
Registered
184 Posts
ok cool , when you get a second will you shoot me a pm and let me know an eta (and if I need to send you money for a quicker eta :) !)

thank you

·
Registered
170 Posts
exhausts are usually fine.

CAI's are a mixed bag, even when they do work its not much power, they're mostly noisemakers.

CAI's cause problems if the bore is changed, the distance from the maf to the throttle body is too close (6 inches as a ball park), or the airflow is changed where its read.
thanks charlie.

my cars noisy enough and im not into bling so Ill save the money and spend it on loose women and alcohol :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All right thanks for the info guys.

I`d like to put a exhaust on the car now, but since i`m planning on adding a turbo this winter, and don`t want to have to buy another exhaust what would be your recommendation? something that the ecu could handle for now would be nice...but still something big enough to add a turbo to.

I know I`m going to have to chop up the exhaust to add a turbo and thats fine, I just don`t want to have to build a custom muffler setup if I don`t have to.

any suggestion? should I just wait for the turbo to put a exhaust on?

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Wait for the turbo.

You want 3" goodness to not hold back any power from you, and the 2.5" exhaust diameter more suited for NA will hurt you, unless you'd like to drive around with a 50 state legal exhaust like the Lotus stage II or something.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Wait for the turbo.

You want 3" goodness to not hold back any power from you, and the 2.5" exhaust diameter more suited for NA will hurt you, unless you'd like to drive around with a 50 state legal exhaust like the Lotus stage II or something.
Stage II is actually stamped Track Use Only (so its zero state legal :D)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts