The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember when I bought a Miata in 1990, the first model year, it was touted as "a modern British roadster with Japanese quality." This brought visions of nostalgic adventurers with driving caps and thick cigars traversing curvaceous roads nationwide, and for the first five or so years, that's what transpired.

Unfortunately, the Miata has evolved to have become known as "a ladies" car...along the lines of the New Beetle, the PT Cruiser, and Cabrio. Not only was this mentioned last week on a national talk-radio show, but I've seen it contended with firsthand by a male coworker in his mid-20's having to continuously defend his manhood (not that being a vegetarian helps his case either).

A recent Elise article took a preemptive shot at the Chrome Orange Mafia...calling the color "tangerine" and for "lifestyle's best left unmentioned" to the article's author. Now I don't agree with the author, but I see this preemptive media strike being a sign of what Elise owners will have to deal with in the future.

Regardless of its aggressive stance, I see the diminutive size of the Elise (not to mention its calming name), lending to it too being transformed from an adrenaline-pumping "purest sports car in the world" to "the cute car your wife and girlfriend drives to work" if we're not vigilant.

That being said...what can we do to help keep the Elise from going the way of the Miata??? Just something fun to ponder...

All that being said...I'm just multitasking while watching Hannity and Colmes this evening...playing devil's advocate...have a great one, one and all...we're a day closer to Elisedom!

Dave

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
In the United States, big car == big penis. So, I suppose small car == tiny penis.

Maybe Lotus should simply have an ad campaign, calling it "Instead of a penis reduction surgery..."

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I dont think it will ever be a ladies car. Women, except for the few of us on this board, will find this car too quirky, difficult to handle, and not very comfy. And you cant get in and out of it in a skirt, and forget wearing heels on those pedals. I hate to admit it, but Anita probably does speak the voice of many women out there. Even the select few who like sports cars would probably rather have a miata.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by agent.5
In the United States, big car == big penis. So, I suppose small car == tiny penis.
actually, that's backwards.

Men who buy big trucks, suvs, slap on lift kits display complexes that compensate for their smaller deficiencies. Therefore, drivers of Minis and Elises have the opposite display of complexes. The men who drive the smallest cars are well-endowed.

Psychology tip of the day

Oh, and by the way, the Elise will never, never, ever, ever be considered a chick car. Seeing gals drive this car will be very sexy IMHO, however. :D

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Therefore, drivers of Minis and Elises have the opposite display of complexes. The men who drive the smallest cars are well-endowed.
That's why you may need to consider reduction surgery.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Is it seen as a 'ladies' car in Europe? Nope.

Also, I could care less. If you are driving it for the image, then I think you are missing the entire point of the car.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
originally posted by agent.5
That's why you may need to consider reduction surgery.
No way! I don't believe in plastic surgery anyway. LOL

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I don't think it will be considered a "chick car" because it's too spartan and has the performance to make it a serious sports car.

But, I think the general public will consider it no more than a toy. I won't be surprise if some jeaous @#$# in an SUV or pickup truck deliberately cuts me off, tail gates, or tries to intimedate me because of the Elise's size.

I'm also anticipating the comments, "oh, it's like a Miata" and my response will be "Yes, asides from the fact it can accelerate like a Corvette and out handle Ferraris and Porsche, it's like a Miata." :)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
No debate here, very few Elise are owned by females in the UK. You can expect a similar trend here.

A ladies' cars would be more along the line of the Audi TT, SLK, Crossfire and Boxster. All are comfy and have space for a handbag.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think the extreme difficulty of getting in and out of the Elise in a skirt or dress will keep that from happening quickly.

BTW, Miata has evolved into a ladies car? I thought those comments started right when the first ones hit the magazines? At least that what most of the comments I've heard said, way back when it was introduced.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If TRONDUDE is going to be seen driving an Elise in costume...this may be more cause for rumour.

In any case, wearing tights will ease the entry/exit maneuver.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Somebody needs to photoshop TronDude in an Elise.

Alternatively, cover the Elise in a Tron look.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I agree the Elise will not that reputation (unfairly painted on the Miata) because it is too spartan and not really a secretaries car.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Why should I care how the car is perceived? :confused:

I don't believe there's any truth to the Miata being a "ladies" car, anyway. I can't even think of any female Miata owners I know. I very briefly drove a Mazdaspeed Miata the other day, and it felt like a great car. The Mini is kind of a "cute" car, but I wouldn't have a problem driving one of those either. I like them.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well its survived in Europe for 7 years without getting that reputation, and we all think the miata is a chicks car too. I don't think you'll have a problem to be honest.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,638 Posts
what can we do to help keep the Elise from going the way of the Miata???[/B]

There is nothing that can be done. No amount of reasoning can get through to the ignorant. Let them drive around in their SUVs or riced out Civics thinking that they're manly men driving real performance machines.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
When the M100 Elan hit the streest about 13 years ago I was looking for a White one on a dealer lot. The local dealer, Rothrock, had a yellow car. When I told them that I really wanted white, the sales person said "but yellow will attract more attention." It was at that point I chewed him out. Anyone buying a Lotus for attention should be shot on the spot.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
wallabyguy said:
When the M100 Elan hit the streest about 13 years ago I was looking for a White one on a dealer lot. The local dealer, Rothrock, had a yellow car. When I told them that I really wanted white, the sales person said "but yellow will attract more attention." It was at that point I chewed him out. Anyone buying a Lotus for attention should be shot on the spot.
Really? That's pretty harsh:no: I would have stopped at a flogging

Anyway, I'm not sure why small cars should be perceived as ladies cars. Formula 1 cars a pretty small, yet I don't think anyone would every dream of classing them as ladies cars.

·
Registered
314 Posts
wallabyguy said:
Anyone buying a Lotus for attention should be shot on the spot.
Robert,

AMEN!!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with most of your posts...about options, ease of entry, etc....lending the 2005 Elise to not being/becoming a "ladies" car.

However, reading threads like "Elise for the masses", etc. How long before amenties are added and modifications made making it more lady-friendly? The 2007 may have those cup holders, cell phone adapters, lipstick cubbies.... As some other writers have atoned, we're very lucky to be getting the 2005 Elise! :)

I'm also in agreement with you "who cares what people think" folks...I drive what I want, when I want. I remember when I first owned my 90' Miata some biker dude came up beside me on the interstate and flipped me off for no apparent reason and sputtered away. Not sure why...

As for the Elise not becoming a ladies car in Europe...with the exception of the Brits...are European men really men anyway? (Joking here...)

It's May the 6th...only about three more weeks until one of you tells us about driving your Elise home! ;)

Dave

1 - 20 of 49 Posts