The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably being overly cautious here, but I don't have a lot of experience with a "brand new" car (e.g. one that hadn't been sitting on the lot for at least a few months before I bought it).

I've been told different time frames by several people, so I'd like to see what the general idea is here.

How long after receiving a car with "fresh paint" should I wait before applying a full coat of wax?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
technically yes but he asked how long for a car with fresh paint. I usually wait a month anyway becasue it may not of seen much sun if any and was probably covered up for most of it's life. It's probably overkill to wait but if you keep it in the garage it won't hurt.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Sort of a myth IMO.

Factory paints are heat treated and this process tends to cure the paint rather quickly. Usually the paint has already cured before it leaves the factory and whatever solvents that are going to evaporate have done so. Consider that many manufactuers take a rotary buffer to your brand new paint with a mild polish before shipping.

Now, I say sort of a myth, because a repaint by your local shop usually cures by chemicals, over a period of time, and not by being baked like at a factory. Any paint popping that could occur, because solvents were not able to escape, usually occurs within the first few hours. However, being cautious, painters will usually recommend not waxing because that is just an additional topping layer of risk. In this case, you should really avoid sealants like Zaino and Klasse, and just top it with some superficial layer of glaze like Meguiars #7. Modern urethane paints cure much faster than the old lacquers that would keep outgassing for longer periods of time. The paint is pretty hard after a few days.

I'm not sure which method Lotus uses, being the small company they are. However, by the time your car actually gets to the port, it has cured anyway. You can even look up your build date if you wish. I believe one method was by checking the install date of the alarm.

Wax away...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Stediecam's visit to the factory supports Vantage's assessment and also my contention that the paint is cured long before we receive it.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6684

"This paint is much more environmentally friendly, but a little harder to work with. There are six layers in the painting process. The first two layers are a primer. Each layer of primer gets cooked in the oven for 40 minutes! After those primer layers are done, then comes the actual paint. Again, two layers are used, but this time each layer is sent into the oven for 80 minutes per layer! Next comes the gloss. Two layers of gloss as well, each layer going back into the oven for 40 minutes this time. A huge amount of time is spent painting the cars. In fact, 26 man hours are used for the painting. This equates to almost 1/4 of the cars’ build time! Since this takes so long, they have the panels painted two days ahead of the production line"

He also mentions that the panels are waxed as well.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
In the case of the Elise, go ahead and wax it as soon as you get it. The paint on the car has already cured for more than 30 days by the time you get it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts