The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of purchasing an Evora but it would be a weekend car for me. The only thing I am concerned about is that I occasionally have stretches where I am out of town for around (2) weeks at a time. Of course I live in an apartment where a battery tender isn't an option.

I feel like I've read some threads where dead batteries really mess these cars up, so just wanted to check in on something like this.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It depends on the state of the battery and how charged it is when you stop driving the car but based on my experience with my Evora 400 2 weeks is about the point where things start to deteriorate. If an external charger really isn't possible I would get a lithium battery starter and have that as a back up to get the car going if necessary. I have had no issues disconnecting and reconnecting the battery if I am careful to let the car sit with the ignition off for 30 mins beforehand so I don't see any reason to be concerned about that. Of course if you have the car parked in a public place and want an alarm system on it that would introduce additional considerations.
If you can go with an external charger I would recommend this:
There are several threads here with options for installing it.

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
Letting the batterey be discharged for 2 weeks has potential concerns. First, the battery won't last that long. Second, some of the pesky lights you may get can only be cleared with dealer readers such as airbags....unless you spring for some of the new higher end units you see folks talk about here. I'd suggest if you are away for 2wks, you find a suitable place where you can, securely, keep the battery charged. In the long run you have just eliminated the single biggest problem most folks experience with the Lotus.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks so much for the replies! How do these cars hold after say a week of sitting?
During this pandemic I have regularly left it for a week (usually daily driver). I could tell that It was not liking it though. Cranks slower.
Usually if I know it’s going to sit for a few days I put it on the tender.

You could always have an extra battery or two that you threw in the trunk? If you’re worried about Airbag light coming on by disconnecting. Give you twice as much time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had the same challenge as the OP. With my 1997 Porsche I can get away with disconnecting the negative terminal and reconnecting it. However, would that practice pose a problem for an Evora? Issues with alarm, locks or computer codes?

On late model 911's 991-992 they talk about having to 'reprogram' the computer or something or set it to that specific battery's amps if it gets disconnected. A little unclear but basically a 'go to the dealer' fix was needed.

I've always been able to clear codes with a basic OBDII reader on my older 911. Not sure yet about the Lotus.

Now my new EVORA :love: it is stored in a place with no outlets. What I was able to do was use a light bulb socket as a source for power to the trickle charger. It managed to sit for a little over a month and not go dead until I figured out this trickle charger arrangement.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I have had the same challenge as the OP. With my 1997 Porsche I can get away with disconnecting the negative terminal and reconnecting it. However, would that practice pose a problem for an Evora? Issues with alarm, locks or computer codes?
It wouldn't pose a problem, as long as you give the engine management systems time to properly shut down after you turn the car off. The owners handbook and service notes say to wait at least 30 minutes after switching off the ignition before disconnecting the battery. You'll also need to re-index your windows every time you reconnect the battery, in addition to setting clocks, radio presets & security codes, etc.

The 400 handbook states that approximately 18 days of sitting is when starting difficulties may be encountered, but that all depends on battery condition, ambient temps, etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
As I said, my Evora 400 can go about 2 weeks and still start. You could go the tried and tested route of a battery disconnect-but then the alarm won't be on and you have to reset the clock. The airbag is only on when the ignition is on. So disconnecting the battery after leaving the ignition off for the requisite 30 mins won't do anything to the airbag. But turning the ignition on with the airbags disconnected will trigger a fault and perhaps if the battery is discharged when you turn the ignition that could do something similar. I am not aware of any "cloned" versions of the Lotus Techcentre software and you would still need the vehicle communications interface so if something does go wrong there are limited options to reset it. I don't have any experience with these aftermarket scan tools for resetting codes/fault lights on the Evora.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was using Battery tender maintainers and the 1.25 amp was not enough for long term to keep my Evora to start in winter storage starting..
Went and purchased a Schumacher SC 1359 that is a 15amp /3amp maintainer and it starts like a new battery every start using this charger.

Now I have a question and wonder if any one is using a 3 amp battery maintainer using cigarette plug inside the car ..
I would rather do this than pop engine hood to unplug the charger ????

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Now I have a question and wonder if any one is using a 3 amp battery maintainer using cigarette plug inside the car ..
I believe the interior accessory outlets are all ignition-switched. The one in the trunk isn't though, and it could be used to trickle charge. But if you've got to open the trunk to do that, you might as well hook up to the battery directly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was travelling quite a bit the last years and experienced a lot of dead batteries .... Since I can't add a battery tender to my car, I've added a battery kill switch to the battery ;-)

A battery kill switch costs about 10 USD and needs to be manually operated. Important point with that is to keep access to the battery. That's why I close the boot lid also manually by just pushing the lever into the locked position and then you can close the lid accordingly.

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
BINGO. That was my other thought for the 2 wk issue!

·
Loves to talk
1,058 Posts
I was using Battery tender maintainers and the 1.25 amp was not enough for long term to keep my Evora to start in winter storage starting..
Went and purchased a Schumacher SC 1359 that is a 15amp /3amp maintainer and it starts like a new battery every start using this charger.

I would rather do this than pop engine hood to unplug the charger ????

I use a Cetek which amounts to about the same voltage as the BTs do and it holds just fine which leads me to believe your battery is already soft. I just shut the lid on the lead from the charger (to turn off the light) and no harm has come to any of the rubber seals. They bounce right back undistorted. The biggest issue for me is driving off while it's still plugged in which has been discussed at length in another thread somewhere around here.

My battery is not particularly confidence inspiring though and never has been. I have a theory about why this seems to be the case for a lot of the cars: the OEM battery is tortured from the start by the car sitting on a lot until somebody buys it. This has been the case for many of the 2017s which took lots of time for dealers to shift out of inventory. Spec built Evoras tend to sit on lots before they are sold.

So you often start off on a bad foot to being with. I have no issues with the battery per se except that I know it's probably not optimal. . I think I'm a Shorai customer in the making.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have several Ctek chargers and use one of these with the evora instead of the battery tender that came with the car. Ctek model numbers are confusing. I suggest something like their MXS 5.0 model. I also suggest installing an external charger port. The Hethelsport kit discussed elsewhere here is excellent. The magnetic connector sorts out the driving away while charging issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts