The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally bought my 05 elise withe the intention of enjoying it for a year then moving on.

I enjoyed cars when i was in my younger years but did not have time while in the Navy. So i did not see the sense on spending money on something that i would not be able enjoy fully.

Well, September was my 1 year mark and I still cannot find the heart to move on. I do not daily drive my car as i do not see the sense to drive it on freeways just cruising. so it is mostly used on spirited drives on my local back roads.

Im curious as how long have people kept their lotus. and what motivates them to keep it..

For me, i think is the pure excitement of my spirited drives.
I considered a motorcycle for that purpose but figured i was to much of chicken (to risky to start learning at 46) to push a motorcycle hard.

So how long have you owned you lotus and what kind is it. (élan, esprit, elise. etc.)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
bought my 05 Elise 9 months ago bone stock. Winter is destroying my soul.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I am home 3 to 6 months a year and not always when it warm out, so I will be going on 6 years, 50,000 miles, 2 SC systems, 2 engines and no idea how many rear sets of tires. (lots)

Vroom!!!

I have fond memories of it completely stock and NA.

Who am I kidding, damn terrifying to drive really fast back then...

If I had to do it again, I would build it bolt by bolt exactly how it is today

Well, maybe add the Sector race uprights, full telemetry and video system and.........

·
Registered
282 Posts
2.5 years also and look at it every day. I drive it on days when weather permits.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Coming up on 5 years

·
Registered
959 Posts
A little over a year. I started a new job in the Bay Area, but the car is still in LA so I only see it about once every two weeks. It sucks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just 6 months and 1,400 miles - not giving her up anytime soon

·
Registered
129 Posts
Actually getting ready to take the top OFF for the winter!! Sorry for you guys that live up north. We moved down here from Cleveland 3+ years ago....never going back where it snows

·
Registered
182 Posts
7 years with my 06 Elise....7K miles on it and it is a keeper. Promised my son it will be his wedding gift. Luckily, he is only 15 so I can enjoy for a while more.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
coming up on seven years with my Elise

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've had mine a little over a year now and its been fun. I started motorcycling early and never really got into the car scene as most are just too expensive. I mean 100k plus for a car, and then maintaining the car, insuring it.. Just seems too expensive.

Motorcycles offer supercar acceleration for dirt cheap, the handling feel and being connected to the machine feeling keep me coming back for more. I thought the Elise would offer some of those things while being a fairly inexpensive vehicle. So far it has, but I do find myself wanted another sportbike in the stable.

I do mostly top down driving probably to make it feel more like a motorcycle, and it ever so slightly does. But unlike the motorcycle it offers creature comforts and a more enjoyable ride when 2 up :p

Well I'll probably never get rid of mine, its the most fun driving in 4 wheels I've ever had, and something about it seems collectable and exotic. I mean to me on paper this car seems to be a no brainer. You can buy one for 20-30k, throw 10-20k into and put out close to 400 HP while weighing in under 1900 lbs. For a car what can you spend your $40,000 on and do better, and ending up with something that looks as good as the Elise. Ariel atom maybe.. The only car I can think of is a Caterham SL 300.. Which probably will cost you more like 50k. You also don't get a roof over your head.

Actually getting ready to take the top OFF for the winter!! Sorry for you guys that live up north. We moved down here from Cleveland 3+ years ago....never going back where it snows
Screw you ramy w .. I'm in Cleveland area and my car is in pieces. Hahha I'm soo jealous.

7 years with my 06 Elise....7K miles on it and it is a keeper. Promised my son it will be his wedding gift. Luckily, he is only 15 so I can enjoy for a while more.
What if he gets married at 18, maybe then you'll have to buy another one :nanner:

·
Registered
782 Posts
Forty years and seven months (Europa Special...see avatar.) Elise for 13 years (Series One) and 9 years (Fed Elise). Still going strong. Would have a new one if we could get the Exige V6.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts