The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the recent news of allocation numbers and the distinct possibility that the first batch of 10 cars won't even be completely
delivered until August or so, I sense a dampened enthusiasm around here. I feel it myself, and I'm certainly not alone.

Consensus now seems to be 2-3 cars per month per dealer, a far cry from 6-8 or the 10 that some dealers were promising. In my own case I'm 25 on a list. at two or three cars per month, that means 9-12 more months of waiting AFTER we get car 1 in May/June. I won't get the car for this summer, and if anything goes awry maybe not next summer either. How does it feel to be #65 on a list ? 2006 or 2007 delivery ? There's mention of a "ramp up". Ramp up to what, double, or 4 cars a month, big deal.

I'm giving serious thought to going back to my plan A which was a "classic" Brit sports car. Maybe a Tiger or TR250 or Elan.

Anybody think that maybe Lotus has already shot themselves in the foot ? It's a great car alright, but announcing introduction
of a new vehicle when you are not remotely prepared for the demand is a mistake in my mind.

Steve

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'll wait as long as it takes - maybe buy a Harley to play with in the mean time - the Elise is a toy and I'm in no hurry but am definitely into instant grtification if possible. It'll be worth any wait.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
There's only two real choices for a raw sports car here in america right now. Well, at my pricepoint, anyways. A Seven or an Elise. I'm anticipating a couple more relocations within the next year, so I lack the stable location to build a Seven... which leaves me waiting... And I think the Elise is going to get here before I have the chance to settle down and stop this nomadic craziness.

I've waited since 2001, so I suppose I can wait a little longer. But it IS getting painful.

Cade

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I think it sucked compared to the "hey a month or two to go before I get my car" scenario. But I'll tough it out. Just means I have a little more money to invest in the mean time. A small part of me kinda hoped that the reviews would be bad. Comments like "This is the worst car Lotus has ever made" or "Handles like a 74 Cadillac" would have gone a long way to save me some money. But no, everyone loved it.

And now we wait:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I know how you feel Sownman; however, all this talk about arrival dates is nothing but rumor. I think we all need to look objectively at the discussion of arrival time and realize that we don't know a thing.

I've waited for 2 years... what's a few more months. Don't get discouraged....when your car does arrive, you will be so pleased with it and so happy that you had the patience to see it through.

Hang in there man!

:)

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Originally they said the cars woudl be coming on 4/4/04
However, like a builder telling you your house will be ready in 9 months, I figured it would take a little longer.

Then I thought the first 10 were all coming together, now it turns out each dealer will only get a few each month.

Why is Lotus closing down for 2 weeks for vacation right when production is starting? You would have thought they would have done it right after they finished the last Esprit. Most companies in the US have blackout periods when you cant go on vacation. I have never heard of H&R Block closing for two weeks in the middle of April.I just wish the politicians here would stop campaigning here the first two weeks of November.

Or does Europe have some customs where the entire country shuts down at the same time each year? No wonder the US is so productive, we are working 40-50 hour weeks and only get 2 weeks off. Maybe they should move produstion over to the US- We probably could make twice as many cars in the same amount of time.

Too bad I'm not in a foreign country, I could take a seista and have 3 hours for lunch.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Don't be too pessimistic. Large dealerships may get 30 cars by August/September, so the wait may not be that bad.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well, they said they were ramping up production. And the first ~350 cars will come in the first few months, but if they stick to their year long goals, they will have ~2000 cars to get here within a year after they start making the first cars. That would mean they were be coming at a faster rate than we had originally anticipated to make up for lost time. And, if they keep that rate up, there will be more than 2400 for next year's production. So, as long as they were serious about getting ~2300-2400 cars to us within a year, then this is actually a blessing in disguise because next year we'll be getting more.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
As for them taking two weeks off, I do not begrudge them that. I work for a US-based, British-owned company, and I can testify that the British work ethic is right up there with the American and Japanese work ethic. Also, I do not believe that my British counterparts all do a two-week shutdown a la Lotus, but now I'm curious, so it's time to do some fact-finding. I thought the "nationwide holiday" thing was just for the *rest* of Europe.

As for the wait, it does portend to be unbearably long, and for me, the April/May test drive will be my final determiner. Once I get some seat time in the car, I'll make the call on waiting another ungodly length of time, or buying something else immediately.

Hopefully, for the dedicated Elisers out there (the people absolutely committed to purchase), other deposit holder are taking my tack. You might find that come April/May test drives, the lists positions begin collapsing rather rapidly.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
As for them taking two weeks off, I do not begrudge them that. I work for a US-based, British-owned company, and I can testify that the British work ethic is right up there with the American and Japanese work ethic. Also, I do not believe that my British counterparts all do a two-week shutdown a la Lotus, but now I'm curious, so it's time to do some fact-finding. I thought the "nationwide holiday" thing was just for the *rest* of Europe.

As for the wait, it does portend to be unbearably long, and for me, the April/May test drive will be my final determiner. Once I get some seat time in the car, I'll make the call on waiting another ungodly length of time, or buying something else immediately.

Hopefully, for the dedicated Elisers out there (the people absolutely committed to purchase), other deposit holder are taking my tack. You might find that come April/May test drives, the lists positions begin collapsing rather rapidly.
Our study is completed and it has been determined that the acceptable waiting period should not exceed infinity.....unless something is found to be a longer period of time than that. We await scientific results regarding the discovery of 'post infinity'.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I'm looking for a steal on an older Miata to track this summer. That should keep me until my #36 spot comes up.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Wait a minute?! Where did we get 2 to 3 cars a month? Is this the most recent word? I been having trouble following along, since there are so many rumors flying around.

As for how long is too long, the longer I'm waiting, the more my concerns grow that the Elise may be just too small for Phoenix, Az (lots of pickups and SUVs and little exotic cars). Not to mention my Boxster's lease ends in July.

So, are we sure we're looking at 2 to 3 cars per month? I'm number 15 and that's about a 5 month wait (delivery in September).

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Wait a minute?! Where did we get 2 to 3 cars a month? Is this the most recent word? I been having trouble following along, since there are so many rumors flying around.

As for how long is too long, the longer I'm waiting, the more my concerns grow that the Elise may be just too small for Phoenix, Az (lots of pickups and SUVs and little exotic cars). Not to mention my Boxster's lease ends in July.

So, are we sure we're looking at 2 to 3 cars per month? I'm number 15 and that's about a 5 month wait (delivery in September).
call your dealer. They heard from Lotus what their allocation through August will be. The average seems to be 10-12 for the 3 month period (June-Jul-Aug)

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:

In the past week or so, the slew of breaking information from various dealers definitely confirms that June-August deliveries will be slower than what some of us expected. Some dealers are reporting 3 cars per month for first three months; others are reporting 5 for the first three months, backing up conventional wisdom that not all dealers are created equal. Apparently, my dealer (Silicon Valley Auto Group; pretty large and successful) says it will get 5 a month.

FWIW, I have dropped my size concern. Miatas seem to co-habitate just as well as any other car in America, and let's face facts, SUVs have taken over EVERY urban center. The Elise is probably safer than a Miata in an accident, but more at-risk in a parking lot, what with its lower height.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
not to fly the miata flag, but..... :)

Miatas are actually quite safe. They were engineered/designed working with the insurance companies and the NTSB because Mazda knew that the car would appeal to younger drivers and if they couldnt afford insurance they wouldnt buy the car. Even flipped miatas hold up quite well. The only scenario I can think of for a miata or Elise where I wouldnt want to be in the car would be a hard side impact.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Miatas are actually quite safe. They were engineered/designed working with the insurance companies and the NTSB because Mazda knew that the car would appeal to younger drivers and if they couldnt afford insurance they wouldnt buy the car. Even flipped miatas hold up quite well. The only scenario I can think of for a miata or Elise where I wouldnt want to be in the car would be a hard side impact.
I agree, more or less... I'm no expert on the relative safety of the two cars; just based my words on all the glowing reviews of the Elise's front-impact testing. As for bad-case scenarios, I'll add submarining underneath monster trucks to the side-impact scenario, but also point out that most cars will be creamed by SUVs in side-impact accidents. Still, I think the increased active-safety fostered by the Elise and Miata help off-set the two vehicles small size. Again, the problems occur when we're not *in* the cars, controlling where they go, and what's around them.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Guys,
The 3 or 5 a month is for the first few months until they get the line fully functioning with all problems worked out. They still plan to bring 2300 or so cars over. This ramp up was all in the plans and going exactly as it was expected.

I put money down in Jany 2002, so when my car gets here in June I'll have waited over two and a half years, some have waited longer than I. How long is the right time to wait? As long as you're willing to wait.

Sorry but I can't be sympathy to someone who puts his money down today and has his car in a year (that's not that long a wait):)

That said, I AM glad my car will be about the first car rolling into LOA. And my a** is up there within a few hours of it's arrival.
CHris

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
How long is too long, I put my deposit down in November of 2001, and am still waiting and if the car shows up in June great that will be 32 months of waiting and well worth it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read these notes and I have to laugh at some of the things I've been hearing. I talked to Charlie at Lotus of Atlanta just this week and he indicated that they have already placed 108 orders with Lotus and all are anticipated to come in before the end of the year. He did state that any new orders would not be delivered untill at least next spring. How can this dealer tell people that they will have 108 cars delivered by the end of the year when, by all accounts, the dealers typically will have a max of perhaps 80 units this year (based on 5 units/month x 8 months)?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts