The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pull out the car this sunday that will end a 3.5 month slumber and the drive to florida will begin. Not thinking of doing 150 all the way there but considering the layoff how long before I should start flooring it again? I was thinking of just burning out the first full tank before I did any real acceleration.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sounds like a solid plan to me. The only other thing I could think of, other than possibly the sediment in the fuel, would be the tires having some minor flat spots, but those should go away rather quickly. Maybe check the pressures to make sure they didn't lose any air in storage.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brand new tires and wheel were put on a couple weeks ago. I have also moved the car a foot or so forward since the new wheels were put on so that it wouldnt sit in the same spot. Stabil was also added to the gas tank at the time of storage. I know many say store with a full tank but it was store with less than a quarter tank. Ill burn that up, refill then head to florida. And after I burn out that full tank Ill have a little fun.

·
Premium Member
11,995 Posts
Note that a 2zz expert here said to wait 10 minutes AFTER engine reached operating temperature to go "on the cam".

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Note that a 2zz expert here said to wait 10 minutes AFTER engine reached operating temperature to go "on the cam".
It will be around 300 miles before I go on cam since I will burn out a full tank. So about 4.5 hours.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Oil Change?
It's been a wicked 3 mos around here----extreme temp swings from one day to the next and condensation buildup is a sure-thing. Plus FL is, what...50,000 miles away (or, it would seem so, temp wise)...seems like an ideal time to change the oil is BEFORE a long drive like that.

Best of luck in FLA.

john m. /ML1

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't go over 44mph and avoid corners lol -- geez. 10-15 minutes of light driving then do what you want, its a Lotus not fine China.
rotfl

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil Change?
It's been a wicked 3 mos around here----extreme temp swings from one day to the next and condensation buildup is a sure-thing. Plus FL is, what...50,000 miles away (or, it would seem so, temp wise)...seems like an ideal time to change the oil is BEFORE a long drive like that.

Best of luck in FLA.

john m. /ML1
Hmmmmmm.... I know its been a good layoff but the oil was changed probably around 1500 miles ago. Not saying your wrong and I shouldnt but I would definitely like to hear other opinions on this.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd say an oil change couldn't hurt. It's not that hard or expensive if you do it yourself.

Lotus recommends changing the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage. I changed it before I put it away for the winter and I'm going to change it right after I take it out again.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
I'd fill the tank to dilute the old fuel - allow it to warm up for 10 mins - then nail it :)

An oil change won't hurt - but if you have a good synthetic oil in there anyway that isn't essential.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
It is better to be safe than sorry. Go slowly in the left lane the entire way. Leave the blinker on. Wear a hat.rotfl

·
Registered
391 Posts
Back cautiously out of the driveway being careful not to exceed 60 mph in reverse. ('cause you're so damn happy to have the car back on the road again) Put the car in first gear and accelerate at max half throttle (shift as required). At the earliest opportunity fill the tank with the highest octane go juice availible. At that point and after the engine has reached full operating temp for 10 min. do an oil change, brake fluid & clutch fluid swap. Burn off the full tank, refill with more high octane go juice and go baby go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts