The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm selling my 4runner and went to the smog station... FAILED :sad:

I pulled my battery connector off yesterday to remove my stereo... and I guess the ECU needs a couple days to re-learn (I haven't driven it since)

Anyone know how long it should take to re-learn? :wallbang:

Thanks in advance!!!

Another possibility is the engine wasn't fully warm when tested...

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
What year is the car? I'm assuming it's OBD-II?

Going off of the OBD-II assumption...

Your car WILL fail emissions if the ECU was recently reset because the computer has to be in "I/M ready" mode. They do this to make sure people don't eliminate codes right before going to the testing stations.

I would guess 8-10 cold starts -> full warm up is plenty sufficient to allow the computer time to be ready for emissions testing. Driving with a steady throttle ~50 mph will speed up the process. I was able to reset a code on my MKIV Supra and get it tested the next day after several starts and some low speed cruising. I shut it on and off probably 15 times just to make sure.

Always make sure your car is fully warmed up before taking it to the emissions station. This is less critical on OBD-II cars but the ECU still may not release the readiness code if the engine is below operating temperature.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bane, my concern was the CAT wasn't up to full heat yet which would hurt the tests too. We'll see tomorrow!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts