The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lowered my Esprit, but haven't gotten it aligned yet. I brought the ride height down so there is a 1 finger gap between the top of the tire and the fender. I love the way it looks, and I haven't had any rubbing issues. I adjusted the rear camber visually in the meantime, but the rear tires look to be toed in. I see that there are shims that can be purchased for adjusting the rear toe. I'm just curious how much toe can be corrected.

Anyone know about roughly how much the toe can be corrected?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
In the front or rear, you will effect toe immediately as you lower the car...

Up to three 1 mm shim washers may be fitted on the pivot bolt between the radius arm and the mounting outer snubber washer.
Spacer plates may be fitted between the radius arm mounting and the chassis.
For rear toe, spacer plates are available in thicknesses of 0.9mm, 1.5mm, and 6.0mm, or split V8 spacer plates of 0.9mm, 1.6mm, and 2.5mm.
As a rough guide, the addition of 1mm shim thickness at the radius arm mounting will reduce toe-in by approximately 0.35mm (0.04”; 0°3’).

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
So when you lower the rear, will you need more or less spacer plates?

I plan to lower a half inch in the rear of my V8 to level off the car, and I can see there are a number of plates already in the rear, so it would be nice to know that I don't need to order more before I go into the alignment shop.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if an adjustable lower link would be able bring the toe back into spec without having to shim the front long arm. would make adjustments alot easier! either that or use an accentuated bolt at the inboard lower control arm mounting location.....that is how alot of other cars adjust their rear toe.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
yeas, there are some people who have made adjustable lower links, and the race cars did use them. Sometimes you can find them for around $350...

How did you adjust your rear camber? The SE did not have adjustable camber from stock. I modified my rear upper links to adjust the camber to correct the tire wear you see above, when I went to V8 wheels.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Travis,

I purchased a set on ebay last month that came off a burned up esprit. I got them for about $60. They looked like bunk, but I cleaned them..... Sandblasted them.... And then painted them.

1 as purchased & 1 freshly sandblasted:

Finished and Painted:

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
That was my car in 2003...

My friend Johan sold me his V8 AWI wheels and used tires for $900. He was going to Kinesis wheels with 335mm rear tires.

The tires were pretty worn, but even tread, and in about 1000 miles they wore as above. So that is when I decided that I needed to be able to adjust my camber. The extra width of the 18"x10" wide V8 wheels and extra inset, induced extra negative camber on my 89SE.

So I modified my original non-adjustable rear upper links and made them adjustable.
https://picasaweb.google.com/116113253735518541549/LotusSuspension

I've gone through a few (6) sets of tires in the past 12 years... and the car has been off the road more than 4 years.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
amazing how poor the welds are that lotus performed when making the control arms. They look like they were done by total amateurs. The factory welds on Travis' control arms look very "cold." Your tig welds look fine though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your new stance looks awesome. Do you have spacers?

I like those wheels and wheel/tire ratio but I can't fit them over my big brake kit in the front.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks.

I currently have 35mm spacers in the rear and should have a set of 20mm spacers for the front.....I think they arrive today.

I had a company in Nevada make them. billet aluminum....bolts to the hub with original lotus wheel bolts and then the spacers uses 14mm studs for securing the wheels. they are hub centric to the hubs and to the wheels.

I'll be switching to the S4 wheels shortly. Just waiting for them to get back from being widened.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
The S4 wheels always look horribly inset... You will need your spacers for those.

You can see that I get a little rubbing from the V8 wheels.

and I rubbed a lot in the front at this height

The V8 AWI's fit nice and flush with the SE body

And this is the final height that I ended up to prevent rubbing. Parked on an incline so it looks a bit weird.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
How do you widen a one piece wheel? :confused:
Back when I had an Impala SS (the good one), club members were doing that to the 1 piece 17" rims.

I guess they cut the rim in half and weld in a section, or just add another half of a rim that adds the width. If it's done right, there shouldn't be an issue. I have seen plenty of 2 piece wheels that are welded that way from the factory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts