The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How low will you go?

We are finishing up redoing the front of our track Elise after an off. Sector race spec front clam, Highline splitter.

photo.jpg

She's pretty low up front, a bit lower than before. 2 1/2" in center, 2 7/8" in front of tires.

How low are you guys running?

·
Registered
591 Posts
i have the same splitter, just waiting to put it on. i currently have about a fists height prior to the lip. ps, how the **** do these mounting brackets work for the lip?

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll see if my conversion app has fists on it :scratchhead:

I did not do this install, the body shop did so I'm not familiar with how that worked. He did do a couple of things differently than their directions, including a couple screws on each side up in the wheel well.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have a different splitter and I think it's 3.5" in the front. I run it on the street. I have to go diagonally at some intersections if the grade change is abrupt enough.

Did a high center once at the top of the Karussell on the Shenandoah Circuit and gouged the center of the splitter quite nicely. Replaced it with same splitter. No clearance problems if I enter the Karussell properly or even if I drop straight into it.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
499 Posts
I am convinced that splitters are a wear item. I changed lanes on the way home from a car show, went up over a bridge and found a relatively small piece of truck tire in the middle of the road. Car to the side, no where to go. Center punched it with the splitter, which took the hit and cracked, saving the clam shell. I'll wait till it gets worse, then address it.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had to replace the whole front clam when the car came round on uneven ground (spun CCW off right on South Bend, VIR). Were it not for the splitter, the clam would probably have been fine. I surely consider them as expendables like brake pads, tires, rotors. On 211s they are plywood.

The problem is that they have to be mounted to the car very well to stay on at 130 mph.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
. On 211s they are plywood.
Front splitters are sacrificial on a track car (assuming they are truly functional). The key is to mount them in a way so that the front clam doesn't become sacrificial. This requires some custom work with the fabrication of mounting/support brackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Jack, we scratched our heads :scratchhead: for a while on that theme but could not come up with a solution. Thanks for the pictures, but I don't understand the engineering.

I believe part of my issue is that the splitter I'm using comes up the sides, if not attached to the clam there it will pull away even with slight hand pressure much less an aero force at speed. Yours looks to be totally flat.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
We are finishing up redoing the front of our track Elise after an off. Sector race spec front clam, Highline splitter.

View attachment 429185

She's pretty low up front, a bit lower than before. 2 1/2" in center, 2 7/8" in front of tires.

How low are you guys running?
Where does one buy this Highline splitter?

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Thanks. I actually found it already.

Does the Highland splitter actually cover the bottom part of the plinth? It is difficult to see in the pix.

Is there another splitter that covers up previous cone hits like this one?

Can the Highland splitter in FRP take cone hits at autocross speed?

Would carbon-fiber really be any better at cone hits?

The PO had the Lotus dealer put little whisker-canard covers over his curb damage. The right one did not survive a cone I hit on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Did a high center once at the top of the Karussell on the Shenandoah Circuit and gouged the center of the splitter quite nicely.
Ouch. Having driven that, I remember how careful I was to stay in the middle of the lane. The idea of popping out of that before the end was really scary to me. Lucky I have a stock car and pounding it in third was very manageable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts