The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is an odd quirky factory option, the seat lumbar adjustment. How many cars out there have it? It is basically a bulb (much like on a blood pressure cuff), which you pump up to inflate the lumbar portion of your seat, and a valve to let the pressure off (once again like a blood pressure cuff). My car has it on the driver and passenger side. I saw another Elise that had it, on the driver side only.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The lumbar bladder was standard on all federal 2005s. I think if you found one that didn't then it was removed or the seat had been swapped. The probax seats available in 2006 and beyond don't have them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My '05 has it on both sides. The driver's side is worthless though - air pressure doesn't hold. I slid a block of 1/2 inch wood in there and support is consistently firm.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
The black seats which I believe to be original had bulbs both sides. The biscuit seats I bought used to replace them have bulbs both sides. They all worked fine.

Wouldn't want to go without this feature.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
My 89 Esprit seats have the same bulb lumbar adjustment with a knob to close them off or release pressure, I bought 2005 Elise seats to replace the Esprit seats, and those have the squeeze bulb adjustment too. The Elise seats just have a button to release pressure.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Boony - this can usually be repaired easily. The plastic tubing gets brittle over time and develops a leak. You can cut out the part that's leaking and then use vacuum line to splice it back together. This is how I repaired mine - instructions exist on LT if you search. If the bladder is ruptured, you may be screwed...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts