The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people on this forum also race go-karts? I had my first experience yesterday. Wild fun and it seems to teach valuable lessons.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
In addition to cars, I own and race an F125 shifter kart. Great fun. Blinding speed (o-60 in under 4 seconds)... incredible grip.

It's fun being scared again :)

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
125cc

I, too used to race a 125cc shifter. 40 horsepower... incredible! Probably the reason that I am aching to get an Elise!

Thomas

·
Registered
148 Posts
used to own a 100 cc non-shifter Tony Kart. Was fun but for me, nothing beats real cars.... Never tried the shifters. I'd assume that a 125 shifter might have changed my opinion!

Jose Soriano

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
F1

The 125 shifter was like a Formula 1 car! If you ever, ever get the chance... don't pass it up.

Truthfully, it scared the begeezes out of me! My hands were shaking when I would pull off of the track. And the silly, stupid grin lasted literally four hours! So fast, so easy to power-slide... incredible!

Thomas

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
There's a 125 shifter in the garage next to the M3. I really should take it out to the track again soon...

Alright Randy you running the night event or the SCNAX Cup in the kart? I don't want to run the BP RX-7 Turbo at Norton this close to Nationals, but I'll bring the kart if there's someone there I think I can beat :)

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Robert, I keep thinking about which events to do. I have some business things that are pressing right now. And I am still tired from last weekend's race in Utah. That kicked my old butt.

I have to help organize the race in San Diego on the 3rd which includes setup the night of the 2nd, so the night event is not going to work for me. :(

But I might do the SCNAX CUP. Not sure if I want to do a day or the whole weekend. Argh....

And I need to fix the jetting issue on the kart. But thanks for the smack talk. I need some motivation. heh :)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
sorry to hijack this thread, but yeah, Utah was a bit of a drain. Between having the power steering break on the RX-7 for my Sunday runs, and then driving straight back to Irvine. I'm still catching up on my sleep and positive outlook.

If you're only doing one day fo the scnax cup, try to make it Sunday, just 'cuz that's better for me :)

And by no means should you fix the kart, you might beat me then...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Karting is really a blast, I highly recommend it. It's a great way to get into racing for a relatively small amount of $$$ and to learn a lot about car control and driving at (and over !) the limit.

I don't have a kart of my own yet but have done several "arrive and drive" days and some time in a friends' kart. Haven't yet tried the shifter kart, the centrifugal clutch karts are the best way to start for the average "mere mortal". The shifters are very quick, though, and something to work up to. I plan to buy a kart of my own in the future, hopefully not too far down the road.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The guys at Newport seemed fine, although it didn't sound to me like a deposit with them came with a firm committment as to MSRP, or what that price would be (I may be wrong about this, as I didn't really grill them on it because I plan on sticking with Symbolic). The receipt for my deposit at Symbolic states that they intend to sell the car at the MSRP, which as far as they know was and is still $38,500. So that's what I'd be looking for from any other dealer, as well. Obviously the benefit of a deposit at Newport would be a better position in the list...which is important as well.

BTW, have you taken your kart to Amago raceway, in NE San Diego County ? That's where I've done most of my karting, it's a nice little track.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any recommendations on buying my first kart?

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Lots. I got to run to a meeting, will post later.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What kind of kart do you suggest I start out on and where should I go to purchase it? So far I have investigated Dave's high performance in Temecula. He was a nice guy and offered a 100cc 2003 Birel package for about $3500. This was a non-shifter of course. This kart runs one of the lower end classes, so I don't think the learning curve would be as extreme as the others. I found it odd that they only have one rear rotor on the rear axel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS: Randy, I realized that any e-mail I received from you was being filtered out as junk mail. I have fixed that problem.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Why not get a shifter though? It should not take you long to get a good feel for it and I and others would be happy to help you out. Then we could do some track days. :)

However, if you want to do wheel to wheel, then a 100cc Rotax class may be a better idea. Non-shifters are indeed easier to drive. One less thing to think about it... and it's a major thing. That price is right also.

I might have a lead on a good shifter for under $4000. I will know more by tonight.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Wow. I had no idea Karts were that fast. So, they make approx 40 hp. How much do they typically weight?

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
My kart weighs right around 210 pounds. It puts down about 42hp. Redlines at way over 10,000rpms.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts