The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i blew my alt a few weeks ago.

not sure why, but i have placed new heat shielding around the new one....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Exarkun, Do you have pictures of the heat shield installed? I have to change my alternator soon and might try to do this. As I'm sure even the Spyder would benefit from having less heat.

Perry, I don't blame you for supporting your shop. I do all my own work so finding cheap parts is always a plus for me.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Perry's car is downright RIDICULOUS...It's quite an experience....everything is multiplied by a 100 times....violent braking...violent acceleration...violent grip...but this car pretty damn harsh on a summer day in Livermore. It felt like you were sitting in a oven and I only drove it a couple miles....Perry is way more hardcore than I will ever be.:clap:

·
Registered
584 Posts
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DnCzv79WHRA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DnCzv79WHRA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Perry's car is downright RIDICULOUS...It's quite an experience....everything is multiplied by a 100 times....violent braking...violent acceleration...violent grip...but this car pretty damn harsh on a summer day in Livermore. It felt like you were sitting in a oven and I only drove it a couple miles....Perry is way more hardcore than I will ever be.:clap:
The car IS a bit difficult to drive on a VERY HOT day. The front radiator dumps plenty of "warmed" air into the cockpit. On a cool foggy day in the SF Bay Area(berkeley hills) it is surprisingly nice and cozy though..
Casey told me that when he saw the cop he hit the brakes hard and his eyeballs almost fell out onto his cheeks. rotfl
A few days ago I nailed it HARD to pass a couple of cars on the freeway approach(hadn't done it for a while driving it around town and on the freeway), It accelerated so violently that they were back about 1/4 of a mile before I could react.:drool::eek:;)
The other thing is that you had better be pointed in the direction you want to go if you hit it hard otherwise you better start counter steering in anticipation of thing to come just before you hit the gas:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Casey, Nice video!:clap:
Is little that puff of smoke on acceleration OK??
I basically broke my car in at Infineon Raceway. It had about 600 miles on it when I took it to the track the first time.
I put Mobil1 0-40 in it as soon as I got back from that first event at Infineon. The car has always used quite a bit of oil. Probably a quart every 1,000 miles or so. Part of the problem is that it doeas have a stubborn oil leak at the RH front corner of the head but not enough to use that much oil. Do you think I should use higher viscosity Mobil1. I always used 0-40 since that is what my dealer puts in the p-cars(and yes I have to buy it like every one else)

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Casey, do you have any way of measuring acceleration? I am curious what the car does the 0-60 sprint in??

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
yeah it works on the original iphone.
OK, I'm in... I guess I need to go to the Apple store(I am useless when it comes to working with my phone on my Apple at home, can't figure it out:wallbang:).. I need a new phone case anyway..

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Here is my fix for the Alternator failure issue. I am told that they seem to suffer from excesssive heat buildup in the Supercharged cars so I came up with this fix. Cold air is ducted from the right front wheel house to the alternator. I still need to install an inline fan assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Here is my fix for the Alternator failure issue. I am told that they seem to suffer from excesssive heat buildup in the Supercharged cars so I came up with this fix. Cold air is ducted from the right front wheel house to the alternator. I still need to install an inline fan assembly.
How much does it weigh -eek-

I have never seen you add weight to your car.

It is a slippery slope...

When do the TVs go in to the back of the headrests ;)

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

You know I hate to add weight :wallbang:but.... I also ordered an inline 175cfm fan to help get the flow going. It has a plastic housing though so it shouldn't be too bad. You know that when it arrives if it seems too heavy it won't go in the car.... :D

Like the time I ordered xenons for the car.. When they arrived I just couldn't put them in since the ballasts were so darn heavy. A few years later the ballasts got WAY lighter so I installed a set but had to remove my highbeams to offset the added weight..:panic:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

PATRICO,
What does your royal 211:up: weigh??(in lbs) I love the 211 of course that is really why I did what I did to my car. Sort of a street legal 211.....;)

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
perry, i can't see nor remember the layout of the alternator, the main failure is the internal regulator so you'd want to cool that off either with a giant heatsink or airflow, a giant heatsink with vanes and airflow would be the ticket.
i'd get some fancy copper block with heat pipes cpu heatsink from frys and use that, then its not so heavy.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
perry, i can't see nor remember the layout of the alternator, the main failure is the internal regulator so you'd want to cool that off either with a giant heatsink or airflow, a giant heatsink with vanes and airflow would be the ticket.
i'd get some fancy copper block with heat pipes cpu heatsink from frys and use that, then its not so heavy.
Is the regulator the little module attached to the back of it where the wiring connects??

21 - 40 of 57 Posts