The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just heard of another one the other day.

Oil starvation it appears.

:eek:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
if you could translate your question into english it would have a much better chance of being answered :confused:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
if you could translate your question into english it would have a much better chance of being answered :confused:
+1

Or at least be more specific about the failure... i.e. oil light before failure? valvetrain failure? bearing failure? datalogger equipped? N/A, S/C, or turbo?

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Babies hereabouts I'm telling you!

Schwack = To kill

The engine in question had oil starvation problems which affected the main bearings. In hard track use under high G cornering these bearings were not getting sufficient lubrication. This condition was cumulative over time leading to complete engine failure.

Cratered motor muchachos. :rolleyes:

Total engine replacement.

How many others do y'all know about?

:(

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's your standard lump....

+1

Or at least be more specific about the failure... i.e. oil light before failure? valvetrain failure? bearing failure? datalogger equipped? N/A, S/C, or turbo?
..... coming from a standard Buzzbomb! :(

Bummer.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Isn't that some sort of German weapon from WWII? I have no expertise in such things, and suspect this is the wrong forum to get a meaningful answer... :confused:
I think those were buzzbombers... they had noise makers on the bottom of the plane to induce panic :rolleyes:

so I still dont have a clue what he means by buzzbomb:shrug:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
This is what he's talking about.

Not sure of the chances of one of our cars "schwacking" (is that German?) a buzzbomb engine. Why would anyone put such a thing in a Lotus? It only got one mile to the gallon. :confused: Than again, it did make 600 lbs. of thrust, so maybe. Anyone have any experience with this swap? :shrug: I wouldn't imagine that they suffered from oil starvation issues however...I mean, imagine the kind of G's the V-1 had to have been pulling!! I think you were misinformed.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What are you people, noobs or something?

You've never heard of a small, high-strung engine being referred to as a buzzbomb? That bit of slang has been around for a long time! ;)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
How many 2ZZGEs have died while tracking the car?

...dialect aside, it's a legitimate question - for example, are extended clockwise or counterclockwise skidpad sessions dangerous?..

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You guys know exactly what he meant, no need to make a big hissy deal out of it.

I've heard buzzbomb used without any confusion on these boards for years. Isn't there even a vanity plate out there that uses it?

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Oil starvation in our buzzbomb lumps has been a common problem of this engine. That's why there are so many folks trying to prevent it with the big Moroso oil pans and accusumps. I've got the pan, but not the sump. I hope that's enough to avoid the issue, as I enjoy my track time.

So no specific number of engines that have schwacked from oil starve, but it's enough to create fear in a lot of folks--including Lotus...

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
451 Posts
A friend of mine has an mr2 spyder whose original engine died due to oil starvation. He replaced it with a 2zz, blessing in disguise?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Buzz Bomb=V1

In June 1944, the German army began the use of what would be a very unique, very deadly, and historical weapon called the V1. The 'V' stood for Vergeltungswaffe which meant "vengeance weapon." Better known to Londoners as the "Buzz Bombs" or "doodlebugs," these flying bombs made a very distinct sound as they flew overhead at low altitude, before the timing mechanisms expired, and the bomb fell to earth, and exploded.

The people of London learned to go about their normal business and walk the streets as these huge 25-foot long, cross-shaped, bombs flew overhead. However, once they heard the engine cut off, it was time to take immediate cover. This was because as they tipped over for the final descent, the imbalance cut off the fuel flow to the engine. The German High Command also initiated the later use of the V2 rocket, which was the first manmade object to reach the fringes of outer space, but the V1 was much more effective as a weapon system against England.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
What are you people, noobs or something?

You've never heard of a small, high-strung engine being referred to as a buzzbomb? That bit of slang has been around for a long time! ;)
You guys know exactly what he meant, no need to make a big hissy deal out of it.

I've heard buzzbomb used without any confusion on these boards for years. Isn't there even a vanity plate out there that uses it?
Of course we know. Dickedup likes to have some fun, so do we on occasion.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
So when it stops making noise its going to blow? :panic: so run and take cover.

I have a guess that when it stops making noise its to late:wallbang:

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Or maybe its when it makes a special noise :eek::crazyeyes and then it goes quiet:wallbang::wallbang:then:thwack:

·
Registered
852 Posts
So when it stops making noise its going to blow? :panic: so run and take cover.

I have a guess that when it stops making noise its to late:wallbang:
So as long as I still have that ticking nose from the third valve, I'm safe, right? I think I'm starting to understand...

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
1 - 20 of 66 Posts