The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know they are illegal to drive on the street, but some still have them for track use...

curious if any owners have contemplated using some of the several loopholes available to actually street register the vehicle....?

i have registered several "illegal to drive on street" vehicles using some "kit car" or "special build" laws that apply to NHTSA/DOT rules... i know the VIN of the Exige v6 decodes as "off road only" but there is a clear way around that too.

has anyone ever considered this? obviously the pitfalls would be seize/crush orders from NHTSA (been there, had that on the Ariel Atom)... but other than that......

-riley

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Well, you can always buy a V6 and 2ZZ Exige in the same color and swap the plates. I don't think the insurance company would be very happy if you got into an accident, though :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
you should ask the guy that drives (drove?:p) the cup 260 on the street. basically he said they didn't ask if it was for road use, so he didn't tell them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not sure about US, but I know for fact that you can import one in Canada and legally drive it if you have a temporary residency status (student, temporary work visa, diplomat mission). As soon as you become a permanent resident or citizen, you have to ship the car back to the place it was originally coming from.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Federal Exige V6...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you should ask the guy that drives (drove?:p) the cup 260 on the street. basically he said they didn't ask if it was for road use, so he didn't tell them.
well some states do not ask, they issue registration thats somewhat ambiguous in said state but works perfectly elsewhere..

as far as insurance, you can either self insure w/ a bond.. or there are collector car insurance companies that do not care and issue a price based on value and actually give you more than vehicles value for every 6 months w/o incident (what i had on my ariel atom) the only downside is a 6k/year mileage cap.. generally its 2500-3000 a year but they will extend it out if requested and if you "travel for shows"

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Insurance not covering the car if it ends up in a wreck would be a downer for sure, but I'm sure several of the people who could afford to buy one and took the risk of driving it on the street could also afford to lose it should that scenario come to pass. To me, the greater risk is what would happen should you actually seriously injure - worse yet, kill - SOMEONE ELSE while operating it illegally. I'm not a lawyer, but the terms "willful" or "gross negligence" come to mind, and crossing the line from involuntary manslaughter to something worse.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Insurance not covering the car if it ends up in a wreck would be a downer for sure, but I'm sure several of the people who could afford to buy one and took the risk of driving it on the street could also afford to lose it should that scenario come to pass. To me, the greater risk is what would happen should you actually seriously injure - worse yet, kill - SOMEONE ELSE while operating it illegally. I'm not a lawyer, but the terms "willful" or "gross negligence" come to mind, and crossing the line from involuntary manslaughter to something worse.
as i said, very simple to self insure with a bond, my insurance on atom was 1mil/3mil/1mil. and not very expensive.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Did you have your Atom registered in FL? I remember meeting someone in Ft Lauderdale who was going down the road when I was on a road rally, and he followed us to our stop at a park. The car didnt have windshield wipers either but it had Florida plates and was registered as a kit car. A guy with a cup 260 used to drive his on the street, but he used a regular license plate that was switched from one of his other cars. If he ever got stopped, he would have been in trouble.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you have your Atom registered in FL? I remember meeting someone in Ft Lauderdale who was going down the road when I was on a road rally, and he followed us to our stop at a park. The car didnt have windshield wipers either but it had Florida plates and was registered as a kit car. A guy with a cup 260 used to drive his on the street, but he used a regular license plate that was switched from one of his other cars. If he ever got stopped, he would have been in trouble.
i did but i had a white one out of tampa.

no joke, if u buy a squeegee and have in the car it opts you out of windshield wiper requirement.. lol.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I've seen several S1s on the street here, the most recent being 2 or 3 weeks ago. If I had the means, I'd definitely try to slip a V6 through. I definitely would keep a low profile and drive accordingly though. I wonder if a general umbrella policy would be enough to protect you in the worst case scenario.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It's not just the ultimate dollar amount that could be the issue. I'm thinking of criminal liability. Even if you had a big umbrella policy to cover a lawsuit (I do), that won't keep you out of jail if you are convicted of a felony. Again, I'm not a lawyer and I haven't read my paperwork, but I'm not sure a normal policy will still cover you if what you did is considered a serious criminal offense.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Also, you can get your car through the local DMV, but the Feds can still seize the car and crush it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts