The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info from people who have recently tracked their Eliges and used a set of RE71R tires from start to finish.

In your experience, how many heat cycles did they last before they cycled out and went hard on you? Or did the tread wear out before they cycled out?

Trying to work out my tire budget for the season. My Exige will see around 15-20 track days this year, but only maybe 2-3 sessions each day on average since I'm usually strapped with instructor duties.

How many RE71R's do you guys go through in a season?

Thanks.

·
Recreational Mechanic
833 Posts
Bump. I'm curious about this too as I just put a set on my Elise. 205/16 and 245/17 on Ethos wheels. Camber at -2.2 front and -2.7 rear.

·
Registered
570 Posts
So to add a bit of (somewhat relevant) info...

A friend of mine runs a BRZ in STX class (I think) for autoX, and he didn't get a whole season in on a set of RE71Rs. Granted, that's a heavier car. Also, the autoX location around here is at an airport, on the pad in front of the hangars. It's pretty rough aggregate filled concrete, so it's really harsh on tires.
Not sure if that helps, but there you go.

I'm planning on getting a set (same size as Nickshu) and running the whole autoX season this year (8-10 events). Hopefully they hold up based on lower weight compared to my friend's Subaru.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I never had a noticeable decrease in performance as they got old.

Further you could get the whole season out of one set if you are driving 80%, at 100% (sliding the car max, spinning tires slightly etc) you will need two sets, based on my experience. (i was getting 20 hours out of a set, then I got faster and it went down to 10).

·
Recreational Mechanic
833 Posts
Guys at my local speed shop who race BMWs say they get half a season out of a set, which isn't bad especially on a heavier car. Honestly my new A048s were trashed after half a season last year but I just kept driving on them for the rest of the year...it was good practice at recovering oversteer LOL.

They also mentioned that the life is significantly shortened on RE-71r's if you overheat the compound, but that is probably unlikely on a lightweight car like the Elise/Exige.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Went back to Streets of Willow again yesterday and my RE71Rs might be on the way out.

Before yesterday, they had done three events, a CCW Streets day where I ran 3 sessions, a LCOSC Streets day where I ran about 4 sessions, but mostly just for student ridealongs, and a POC Streets day where I ran 4 sessions and really pushed the crap out of the tires (by that, I mean the tires looked like this all day: https://www.instagram.com/p/BeCZ8Kdj_7f/?taken-by=last111_lotus). I ran a 1:26 at the POC day and could basically run a 1:27 anytime I wanted to with these tires.

Yesterday, my best time was a low 1:28, though I did do a 1:28 with a passenger in the car and I'm usually about 2 seconds slower with a passenger. The tires did seem noticeably more slippery than before. I ran in the bonus session at the end of the day, and when the sun went down the tires became like ice (I did sit in the pits for two minutes waiting for my friend to come around though).

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think wear depends not only on how hard that you drive them but also the track. I had more wear during one day on one track than I did on two full weekends at another that was smoother. I got over a season on the RE71R's rears and the fronts still going at about 20 days and street driving (though the tread is getting pretty low).

·
Registered
579 Posts
Some data from my Exige 350 (TVS1900 ~400whp)
Front: 215/40R17, Rear: 285/30R18

Did 3 dry trackdays and 1 wet trackday (amazing grip in the wet) with no noticeable performance loss. Tread worn down by about half.
Had the tyres rotated left-right and the next dry trackday was very very hot. Around Sydney Motorsport Park I noticed I could do 1:47 laps all session, or I could push for a 1:43-44 once and then all the grip disappeared.

Did a 5th dry trackday this week and found that the grip never degraded provided I alternate hot lap / cooldown lap:
clip (2019-12-31 at 11.18.21).jpg

Very happy with these tyres and will hang on to them while I try out the AD08R.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts