The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 2003 Boxster S and a 2008 Cayman S, but with Porsche's move to numb electric power steering in the '13 models it looks more and more like my next car may be an Evora S. (I'm sorry, I DO want to feel if the road is bumpy or smooth through the steering wheel.)

Are there others here who've made the same move, and what are your thoughts after having done so?

·
Registered
27 Posts
BillK,
I am not in a Lotus YET but I am trying to find one. Since 1994 Porsche has done things to dampen the steering feel in their cars like place rubber in the tie rods to absorb vibration. There are usually fixes for this. On my 993 the fix is the replace the tie rods with GT2 EVO tie rods. I am looking at an Evora as well but as a compliment not as a replacement.
If you are looking to buy new test drive a Cayman R or the Boxster Spyder. They are a bit more "raw" feeling and more than capable on the track.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Moved from a 997 C2S to my 2006 Lotus Elise....no regrets! Different animals and enjoyed my C2S, I just prefer the Lotus approach to sports cars.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
I've owned a 2003 Boxster S and a 2008 Cayman S, but with Porsche's move to numb electric power steering in the '13 models it looks more and more like my next car may be an Evora S. (I'm sorry, I DO want to feel if the road is bumpy or smooth through the steering wheel.)

Are there others here who've made the same move, and what are your thoughts after having done so?
Have you driven a 13 911? If someone did not tell you it was electric you would not know.

I own both an Exige and a Turbo Porsche. Both are great cars but if I could only have one it would be the Porsche.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I'm not in that camp, but...

There are lots of guys on this forum who a) either owned Porsches or b) currently own both a Lotus and a Porsche.

Good news is that you'll get a lot of feedback.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
I can promise you you will be treated MUCH nicer in public with a Lotus v a Porsche. Kinda like the BMW stigma v Jaguar for example. That I have experienced first hand.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Both a 1987 Porsche 911 Targa (sold) and a 1998 (last production of the air cooled engine) 911 Cabriolet.

Loving my Evora DAILY!

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Swinglo, you bring up a good point, I really did not provide a lot of feedback.

My view is that the Exige is a track car that you can drive on the street. It is one up from my motorcycle in terms of raw driving experience and I love that sometimes. That being said it's small, has a crappy stereo, odd AC/Heat and is really loud. My wife drove in the car once and will not ride in it again. IMO, the car is fantastic looking, a ton of fun, and I LOVE it at the track. No so much on the street...

The Porsche is a street car that you can track. Mine is north of 500hp and is downright scary when you push it. That being said it is four wheel drive, comfy on a road trip, has great sound, ergonomics, and versatility. I would not hesitate to take it on a long trip or to the track.

I love both cars but I'm far to anal to put-up with the idiosyncrasies of a Lotus as a DD. I looked hard at the Evora S as a DD but the poor ergonomics killed it for me. In addition I was not impressed with the performance of the car; ride and handling was A+, drivetrain was not.

I did spend some seat time in the 991s last Friday. I had forgotten all the noise about the electric steering until the drive was over. It felt like any other Porsche to me, however, I was not at the track... I loved it and it took all the self control I had to not walk out with it. It didn't help that my wife said "It's cute, lets get it and sell your other Porsche". I love her but she will bankrupt me yet!! :) (Just kidding).

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Swinglo, you bring up a good point, I really did not provide a lot of feedback.

My view is that the Exige is a track car that you can drive on the street. It is one up from my motorcycle in terms of raw driving experience and I love that sometimes. That being said it's small, has a crappy stereo, odd AC/Heat and is really loud. My wife drove in the car once and will not ride in it again. IMO, the car is fantastic looking, a ton of fun, and I LOVE it at the track. No so much on the street...

The Porsche is a street car that you can track. Mine is north of 500hp and is downright scary when you push it. That being said it is four wheel drive, comfy on a road trip, has great sound, ergonomics, and versatility. I would not hesitate to take it on a long trip or to the track.

I love both cars but I'm far to anal to put-up with the idiosyncrasies of a Lotus as a DD. I looked hard at the Evora S as a DD but the poor ergonomics killed it for me. In addition I was not impressed with the performance of the car; ride and handling was A+, drivetrain was not.

I did spend some seat time in the 991s last Friday. I had forgotten all the noise about the electric steering until the drive was over. It felt like any other Porsche to me, however, I was not at the track... I loved it and it took all the self control I had to not walk out with it. It didn't help that my wife said "It's cute, lets get it and sell your other Porsche". I love her but she will bankrupt me yet!! :) (Just kidding).

I agree with your wife - you should get the 991 as it truly is a new generation of 911. If I didn't love the way the Evora feels daily it was very high on my list as an option.

I still say that the Evora connects you to the road more than any 911 I have ever driven (not that the GT1 or GT or GT2RS won't - I just haven't driven them).

To each their own and that is why owning the car you want is what makes living life grand.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Kinda like the BMW stigma v Jaguar for example. That I have experienced first hand.
Can you elaborate? Considering a Jag as my wife's next car and would like to know your experience.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have owned many Porsches & I am not brand loyal. I took a new 911S out for a few hours during its launch in the USA. It is a great car with an upscale interior that finaly justifies the higher price. The steering was good and with the engine being more forward from previous version it felt more mid eng & less twitchy. You can’t go wrong with a P car and you will have a larger audience for resale. The P cars fit and finish is nicer. If you want something more exclusive at a much lower price the Evora/S is hard to beat. ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
I traded a 2005 Porsche 911 carerra s for a 2011 lotus evora. The evora's steering/suspension/handling/ride is much better but the Porsche has better fit and finish and other benefits you'd expect from a volume manufacturer. It all depends on what's important to you as a driver when deciding if you are ready to make the switch. For me I was very bored with my Porsche so I never looked back.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Modified 911 Cab (Suspension) for the street and a Lotus Cup for the track. Both cars are perfect for their intended use.

The new 991S is a bit more numb feeling than previous models but represents a major step up in performance. The power and torque in conjunction with the PDK is amazing Great street car overall and an excellent DD although it does feel much larger than the previous 996 and 997 versions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My daily driver is a 2005 Porsche Boxster S and my track car is a 2006 Elise. If I could only keep one, it would be the Boxster S. It is a far better street car. It is the best car I've ever driven for a combination of Sport and comfort. The Elise takes the sport side of the Boxster to another level, but it leaves all the comfort and practicality behind. With that said, I would hate to part with the Elise! I simply love driving it! I'm dying to drive the Evora! I hear it is amazing!

Put it this way, if I take my wife out in the Boxster S, we are both happy. If I taker her out in the Elise, only one of us is happy .... but very happy! :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I stumbled onto my Evora because of Porsche. I had a Cayman S and absolutely loved the car - a great performance daily driver. However, the local dealer's (Premier Porsche in Albuquerque) ability to fix issues on the car were horrible. I've never experienced such an inept service department. I also found them to be rather arrogant.

While the Evora has more quirks than the Porsche, it has equivalent performance and way more exclusivity & "WOW!" factor... and a wonderful dealer/service experience.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
When I bought my Elise I had a '97 993. Within 6 months of owning the Lotus I sold the 993 because I never drove it anymore. The Elise was much more fun to drive.......and the handling was exceptional. A year later I traded the Elise in for an Exige S and thought I missed my Porsche for daily drives.......so I bought a 997 C4S. Sold that a year later because the Lotus was a more responsive car to drive. My Exige puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Nothing handles like a Lotus. Nothing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have made the change and haven't looked back. Our last Porsche was a 09 911 it had more power than our Evora but I still would pick the Lotus. I think it is funny that people complain about build quality of Lotus vs Porsche. At least all the grills are metal and not plastic and the undercarriage is covered with aluminum panels not plastic. (dealer could not get rid of plastic squeak in the 911) Are there room for improvements.. Yes but the drive makes up for any shortcomings, like lack of cup holders.

·
Registered
198 Posts
missing the joy

Think about the early Porsche 911s. Light, powerful in a relative sense, and they handle. Sound familiar?

Mine: sub 1:47 at Laguna Seca--a mostly stock 1973.

I still own it.

Attachments

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
I used to own a few factory 914-6 Porsches. Just older and German versions of the Elise.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts