The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how much longer the current Elise/Exige is gonna be produced? Has there been any declaration of production termination? I wonder if it's gonna be the next Esprit.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think it was until 2011

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get 'em while you can! :D

There will NEVER be another car like this one on the road...
Mmmmm,...I think I will.:nanner2:

Lotus pulled a nice one considering dodging certain U.S. structural crash-standard loop-holing allowing us to have such an amazing plastic toy. I'm certain that future versions will have to succumb to large bumpers and weight penalties. Let's hope that they never put a Yaris or GM Cobalt engine in any of their chassis'.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts

Lotus pulled a nice one considering dodging certain U.S. structural crash-standard loop-holing allowing us to have such an amazing plastic toy. I'm certain that future versions will have to succumb to large bumpers and weight penalties. Let's hope that they never put a Yaris or GM Cobalt engine in any of their chassis'.
Lotus did not dodge any structural crash test requirements. It had to pass all of them. For a couple years it received a waiver for the bumper regulations, which has nothing to do with safety, and the headlight requirements. Current models meet all requirements.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(sigh..) By 'dodging' I was referring to the waiver, which in a sense, is like receiving a privilege when others have to conform. I knew I was gonna get a response like this; I remember a saying referring to arguing on the internet is like arguing in the Special Olympics....:wallbang:

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts

I just can't believe that these Lotus cars are legal for sale.

They are so amazing on the road.

Phenomenal. :D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I believe Roger Becker mentioned at the LA Auto Show that there will be a new model of the car to replace the existing one. I assume like the S2 replaced the S1.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
(sigh..) By 'dodging' I was referring to the waiver, which in a sense, is like receiving a privilege when others have to conform. I knew I was gonna get a response like this; I remember a saying referring to arguing on the internet is like arguing in the Special Olympics....:wallbang:
Nice.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I think Lotus will always make an Elise type car. It is true to their heritage and is a great stepping stone to the other vehicles they are planning on making.

As long as they can pilfer drivetrains from other cars, they can simply use the same VVA underpinnings to build the smaller, more focused Elise type car.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
There were Lotus folks from Hethel at the Lotus track day at PIR in April, and I asked them the same question.
Their answer was that there are currently no plans in place for an Elise / Exige replacement.
But on the other hand there was also no Exige coming to the US at some point...-poke-
Go figure :huh:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think Lotus will always make an Elise type car. It is true to their heritage and is a great stepping stone to the other vehicles they are planning on making.

As long as they can pilfer drivetrains from other cars, they can simply use the same VVA underpinnings to build the smaller, more focused Elise type car.
haha, thats kind of funny if you think they had to dilute the 111R to make it federal (not having a go at what you said, just a chuckle at the situation)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Lotus did not dodge any structural crash test requirements. It had to pass all of them. For a couple years it received a waiver for the bumper regulations, which has nothing to do with safety, and the headlight requirements. Current models meet all requirements.
It is true that the Elise has always passed the crash test requirements (heck it greatly exceeds the requirements).

But they did pull a "fast one" on the bumpers. The original cars had a waiver. The requirement was that the car had to withstand a 2.5 MPH impact with out damaging anything but the bumper cover. When the waiver expired, Lotus redefined the clams to be "bumper covers", so that the only damage is to the replaceable clam - errr, bumper cover. There can still be no structural damage to the chassis or crash structure, so they did reinforce the "bumper covers" a bit, but any way you look at it they pulled a clever "fast one", dodging the bumper regulations. ;)

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
It is true that the Elise has always passed the crash test requirements (heck it greatly exceeds the requirements).

But they did pull a "fast one" on the bumpers. The original cars had a waiver. The requirement was that the car had to withstand a 2.5 MPH impact with out damaging anything but the bumper cover. When the waiver expired, Lotus redefined the clams to be "bumper covers", so that the only damage is to the replaceable clam - errr, bumper cover. There can still be no structural damage to the chassis or crash structure, so they did reinforce the "bumper covers" a bit, but any way you look at it they pulled a clever "fast one", dodging the bumper regulations. ;)

Ha. I didn't know that. That's a good one, Lotus. If we had a Lotus comedian here, that'd make for a funny joke.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Okay, but the waiver for the bumpers was not "dodging certain U.S. structural crash-standard loop-holing" as you said in your first post.

xtn

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
hell were only a few months away from knowing what 2009 will hold in store for us.

Getting older sucks. Time starts flying by. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts