The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The great thing about absurdly long conference calls is the opportunity they provide for intellectual multitasking. So: counting all the cars available for sale, new only, at all the dealers listed on Lotus USA, for all years, gives the following approximate totals: Elise - 35; Exige - 27; and, Evora - 149. No wonder there are great deals on the Evora.

As we all know, dealer website inventory is a little like Russian roulette, and sometimes I saw used cars listed in the new section, and vice versa, and also, it's not uncommon to "hide" new ones until the old ones get sold, so there may be more '12 Evoras out there than show up. You might also find a "used" car that has 500 demo miles, let's say and it was only driven by the owner (= the owner's son, flat out, every day -eek-) and some might consider that "new." YMMV

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've been monitoring the inventory as well. I won't know if I'm buying until fall of 2012, so this is of concern to me. What are you using to search? The problem with online searching is inventories aren't always timely updated.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I did was look at every dealer's website. I agree that's a bit of a crapshoot. Some of these cars may well be sold, but there may also be new cars "hiding" so as to make it look like inventory is scarce. If you have a bunch of '10's and '11's on your lot, you're probably not going to advertise the '12's that just came in. But, almost every site that offered pricing was offering substantial discounts on Evoras. The sites I like the best are the ones that say "Internet Special Pricing!" and then list the MSRP.

It seems there are no more '09 Eliges out there, or at least being advertised, but certainly '10's and '11's, and there are '10, '11 and '12 Evoras available, S's and IPS's too.

Good dealers are in business to make money by satisfying their customers, and I don't begrudge mine a fair profit. I bought mine new from my local dealer. They are a pleasure to deal with, give me fair prices on parts, and of course as my car is still under warrantly, never argue anything. But I know they're not all the same. But then, what is?

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
All I did was look at every dealer's website. I agree that's a bit of a crapshoot. Some of these cars may well be sold, but there may also be new cars "hiding" so as to make it look like inventory is scarce. If you have a bunch of '10's and '11's on your lot, you're probably not going to advertise the '12's that just came in.
I don't know that this is how it works. If the dealer has accepted a car into its inventory, it's got money in that car in the form of carrying charges, floor planning, finance, insurance, etc. While they may be anxious to get rid of 10's and 11's, I doubt a dealer would withhold inventory in which it's already invested in case someone who IS looking for a '12, has the cash and is ready to pull the trigger, checks his website, doesn't see one, then moves on.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't mean this in a nefarious way, but I have seen it happen. In the fall, I was in the market for more of a DD, and visited several domestic and foreign car dealers. If you go on a Sunday, and walk around the back or remote lots especially - where permitted - you may see new cars not on their website yet. In final negotiations with some dealers, new '12's mysteriously would show up when it was clear I wasn't interested in '11's. Again, happened at both domestic and foreign, though this was just when the 12's were generally coming out. I'm talking mainly about large franchises, where the impact of one car is not as great as it might be at a typical Lotus dealer. Plus, if they keep selling the 12's for example, the 11's are only getting older. But, I agree with you if you walk in with cash and want a '12, you will get it at MSRP.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
honestly , i am quite suprised there are any new Elises left. I bet they are all gone by this time next year.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
It used to be that if a Lotus dealer placed a vehicle in the system as demo, Lotus would kick back a small amount of money to the dealer however this would start the clock on warranty also referred to as " warranty punched". The fact that Lotus no longer offers incentives to place a vehicle into demo status, dealer sometimes may refer to a vehicle as a demo but with the warranty still intact. If I go into the Lotus system I can see how many "un-punched" vehicles are still in inventory and thus far, this is how it looks:

MY10 - Elise
MY11 - Elise
MY11 - Elise220
MY11 - Evora 2+0
MY11 - Evora 2+2
MY11 - Evora S 2+0
MY11 - Evora S 2+2
MY12 - Evora IPS 2+0
MY12 - Evora IPS 2+2
MY12 - Evora S 2+0
MY12 - Evora S 2+2
MY10 - Exige S240
MY11 - Exige S240
MY11 -Exige S260
  • System doesn't pull anything but I believe there's 10 total floating around.

There are no MY12 - Evora S IPS until MY13 and currently I do not see any MY12 - Evora NA in a manual transmission yet which puts it at a total of 150 vehicles for the US market and with the number of US dealers, that puts it at an average of roughly 3 cars per dealership, not many.

There are also a few (not a lot tho, MY11 - Evora in both 2+0 & 2+2 that were placed in a super demo program)

Hope this helps.

Abe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Abe: You numbers don't show any new 2011 Exige S260's being available. For example, I believe Fox Valley's website shows 2 2011 S260's. I recall recently seeing others also available at other dealers.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Abe: You numbers don't show any new 2011 Exige S260's being available. For example, I believe Fox Valley's website shows 2 2011 S260's. I recall recently seeing others also available at other dealers.
Oops!, sorry, I knew I forgot something :eek:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I want to count them all... IN MY GARAGE!!!
But I don't have that kind of juice....and it would be selfish.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Ok, revised numbers to include Exige...still didn't make a whole lot of difference.

·
Registered
837 Posts
2012 IPS EVora

MY12 - Evora IPS 2+0
MY12 - Evora IPS 2+2
There are no MY12 - Evora S IPS until MY13 and currently I do not see any MY12 - Evora NA in a manual transmission yet which puts it at a total of 150 vehicles for the US market and with the number of US dealers, that puts it at an average of roughly 3 cars per dealership, not many.

There are also a few (not a lot tho, MY11 - Evora in both 2+0 & 2+2 that were placed in a super demo program)

Hope this helps.

Abe[/QUOTE]

Abe,

Does this mean I'm out of luck regarding the deposit I made last May on an Evora IPS 2+0? This sounds like I'll be waiting even more until the 2013 models are available?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, to continue my informal survey, using my completely unreliable and manifestly ludicrous statistical techniques, it would seem that the recent heavy discounting was wildly successful. All of the 2010 Evora's and a very substantial number of 2011 cars have apparently been sold, with reported (by LT members and by stated prices on several dealer sites) discounts in the 18%-22% range. A number of the Elise's and Exige's also seem to be gone, so although I did not see any obvious discounting (unlike website actual quotes on the Evora), I can only assume there has been additional discounting going on (would you pay $60k list for a new SC Elise when you can get a new Evora for $61? Yes, I know the answer for some is of course, because they are so different, but still.)

So, with '12's now appearing, will prices hold up? It's a question all manufacturers have to deal with of course, but with so few cars in general, and with a few 2011's still out there, and with the 12's perhaps not being wildly different, can you sell one car at $80k msrp, while its sister is on the block in the low '$60s?

And, to add more fun to this useless analysis, the market for the Evora - or for Lotus more broadly - is only so large. If you've just put 100+ cars into the market, how many more can be absorbed? Of course, there are no Elises or Exiges, so they only need to sell Evoras, but if they are now $80k-$90k and up, that would seem to further limit the space.

Seems like they really need to get a lower-priced car back in the market soon. If they are going to revise their launch schedule (if there is one), I'd vote to move up the Elise/Exige replacement.

Donning flame suit now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gentlemen,
I was sort of told, or shall we say it was strongly implied, that I got the last 2010 Elise! So now my curiosity is up, where can I find this inventory listed again?

·
Registered
837 Posts
2012s

I was told a couple of days ago there are a total of 14 2012 Evoras imported so far, and that Lotus is severely backlogged with orders, which is good news for Lotus. At least after 11 months I was given an actual VIN number so I am now hopeful.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts