The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$39k, only 133lb ft of torque and the real horsepower all the way up at 7500rpm and beyond. I would guess that there will be many dissappointed owners.

They *should* know what the car is all about before they buy, but I will imagine lots of people pissed that they spent $39k on a car that will most likely drive like a miata in traffic, and is smaller than almost anything on the road.

The elise will make an S2000 seem like an overweight boat.

·
Registered
302 Posts
msp282 said:
$39k, only 133lb ft of torque and the real horsepower all the way up at 7500rpm and beyond. I would guess that there will be many dissappointed owners.

They *should* know what the car is all about before they buy, but I will imagine lots of people pissed that they spent $39k on a car that will most likely drive like a miata in traffic, and is smaller than almost anything on the road.

The elise will make an S2000 seem like an overweight boat.
Yup, that's why I'm buying it. Of course, there's always the chance for disappointment in that I've never owned one before, and a car is total package, not a collection of statistics or cool parts. The real question is the quality of the driving experience. That's what I'm counting on when putting money down.

This car is quite unlike my current ride - a 3300 lb. Supra with alot of horsepower. It drives like a much lighter car set up as a Street Mod car for SCCA, and I feel like I'm in a no-lose situation. If the Elise is not everything I expect, I'll just sell her and have no regrets. On the other hand, if the Elise is what I'm expecting, I'll most likely sell the Supra, although I'm still coming up with justifications for keeping both cars.

We'll all have our questions answered before too long.

Jeff

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wonder also. Will some people get sick of the ingress/egress difficulties, pedals so close together, little trunk space, etc. and want to sell soon after they have to live with it for a couple of months? I also wonder if I could relieve someone's problems by buying it from them at a low price? Might be a good way to get one.

Hard to figure what the resale values will be.

Jack

·
Registered
529 Posts
I currently drive a Defender 90, which has power nothing, wieghs over 4000 lbs., and handles like a bread truck...

But...

In it's element, a muddy trail, it's perfect. And that more than makes up for it's "on road" quirks.

I suspect that the Elise will be the same. It won't be the most quiet, or best build quality, or smoothest ride, but for those that use it as it was intended (thrashing around many a corner), I think that will overshadow it's shortfalls.

Soccer Moms and guys who buy it to look good will miss the point altogether and will not like the car (which will bode well for picking up a nice used one).

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You may get some people who are disappointed from the practicality of the Elise. The performance is outstanding though, even the 0-60 is far better than most . I think anyone that loves to drive, will not want to part with this car once they drive it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: Re: How many new owners will quickly be disappointed?

Tripledigits said:
a car is total package, not a collection of statistics or cool parts. The real question is the quality of the driving experience. That's what I'm counting on when putting money down.Jeff
Well said:D

The people who know the history of Lotus and what they build will likely be happy (even those who want it even lighter and less user friendly). The people who buy it to impress their friends will hate it. I can't wait for mine, but I suspect there will be used cars on the market in not too long because of the ingress/egress, lack of prestige (what your car only has 190 HP, my -fill in the blank- has more than that), lack of room and amenities, etc.

So the tribe will be happy and the poseurs will be separated out:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot about the little tiny trunk and hard to get in/out things. That will hopefully make my quest for a slightly used $33k Elise even better. :D

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If my S2000 had all the little problems that my Exige has I would be pissed. I'd probably get on a plane and fly to Japan and tell some people off. But, most of the little problems with the Exige don't even register, because once you get behind the wheel you forget all of those things.

It's all about the driving experience and the experience of dealing with a British car. They have their own personalities and that's part of the fun.

I think some people don't really know what they are in for with this car - especially those that want to daily drive it or have it for their only car. I mean you can't even take a woman out if she is wearing a skirt, because they can't get in/out of the car with any sort of grace.

For those people I think there will be some turnover. But, I don't think the price will fall as there are many "enthusiasts" that want this car.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Sadly,
I think a number of buyers will be disappointed primarily because of the long wait for the car and some threads building the car up to be Viper/Corvette/Lambo beating super car. Really not the case. But oh what a fun car!
Chris

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
RacingDynamcs said:
you have a 2000 LB car..

disappointment does NOT exist!:mad:
It will for the bling bling crowd when they realize they can't fit 24" spinners on the car and there is no room for 4 5000W amps and 20 40" subwoofers.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
MIke,
Personally, I'm looking forward to Spike TVs super 2uner twins or the H-Rev tuners shows to see what they do with it.

I'm guessing the nitrous bottle will be strapped into the passenger seat next to the DVD/gameboy,

Oh and about the airbag suspension?? and hydraulic lifters?

Chris
Who says you can't put 24" spinners on this car?

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
RacingDynamcs said:
it should be illigal to sell the elise to people who are lookin for bling bling because it will result in hidous mutilation of an amazing car.
I hate to say it, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying it...

Most of these cars are going to end up in the hands of people who had never heard of a Lotus before (besides possibly in pretty woman). This means the bling bling crowd and many other groups of ignorant people.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Hey,
Look at it this way, regardless of who buys the car, the more they sell the better, it insures a pipeline of cool cars down the road!! 'cause Lotus will have some $$$ to R&D stuff.
Chris

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Hey,
Look at it this way, regardless of who buys the car, the more they sell the better, it insures a pipeline of cool cars down the road!! 'cause Lotus will have some $$$ to R&D stuff.
Chris
I do agree with you on that...

Also, more morons driving them = more cars ending up in the junkyard due to lack of driving skills posessed by said morons = cheaper parts should we need them.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
I do agree with you on that...

Also, more morons driving them = more cars ending up in the junkyard due to lack of driving skills posessed by said morons = cheaper parts should we need them.
=higher insurance cost to us :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
yeah the more they sell they more they are going to put into R&D for the next version of the lotus. They only have until MY06 for the bumper exemption so after that the car can change an aweful lot.

-jeremy

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Hi Everybody
Well I couldn't tell you the reason why I would be disappointed. I try not to think about.

But I can tell you why I'm buying one. This is simply put a drivers car. You don't buy it for the raw horsepower nor do you buy it for it's torque. It's all about the driving position, the near perfect balance, the excitement of sometimes early apexing and still coming out of curb faster than a most Ferraris. Every person I know that has driven an Elise has come out with a big smile on there face. And yet they can't always explain why. It's just simply a special automobile. The only car that even comes close to being like an Elise is the Vauxhall VX220 Turbo, and we all know who designed this car.

Sorry for the long opinion.
Neil

1 - 20 of 37 Posts