The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was this a factory option, or aftermarket?
The bracket was rattling against the floor, super annoying. Took me a while to unscrew the Front Right bolt, very difficult access, barely any room between the seat and the car frame.
Now my Elise is even lighter! Lol.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
It’s an aftermarket option from Sector 111. I have the same one but in red. The rattling is annoying but you can put some padding under the bracket to reduce the rattling.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
It’s an aftermarket option from Sector 111. I have the same one but in red. The rattling is annoying but you can put some padding under the bracket to reduce the rattling.
Yes, the rattling is easy to fix.

No, I am not driving around without the extinguisher.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,405 Posts
I used padding and some Velcro, doesn't rattle now.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
We have the same bracket in stock. Add some soft Velcro or rubber bumpers and you stop the rattling.

A fire extinguisher is a smart safety item to carry in a sports car. Fires are more common in cars than you may realize. You have one of the nicest kits on the market...

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I don't know how common or uncommon it is to wire a 20A fan directly through the control knob, but you can feel the fan speed knob get quite warm after a short while. I was in some rain once that caused the fan to short, and the knob itself caught on fire. My wife freaked out, but I just yanked it out and blew it out. Ever since, she has been wanting a fire extinguisher in the car, haha. I don't think it has happened to anyone else, but when looking at the wiring it is obvious that it is a risk.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have one of Shinoo's mounts as well. Always safe to keep one on board.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,277 Posts
Fire Extinguisher Mount

I think I have one of the nicest Fire Extinguisher mounts "not on the market".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
That fiberglass bodywork doesn't get along well with flames. Extinguisher is a smart idea. Are you going to sell your mount?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a friend that likes to tell me I'm going to end up "upside down and on fire" every time I mention the Lotus.

Good thing I have a fire extinguisher, because there's no way I'm going to be able to get out of an upside down car in a hurry!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,191 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Is that where you really keep it? That’s a tough area to access. I assume you’re joking.
Kept mine there. Realized that wasn't best. Bought Shinoo's kit.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Carrying TWO---one in cabin and one in trunk. Both are HALON. FYI, Dry chemical (your typical A-B-C type) usually contains powders that are highly corrosive --- it can save your car from burning, but the residue can EAT the electrics and aluminum. Halon and Halatron are tough to come by nowadays. CO2 types might be an option as well.

m1

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That fiberglass bodywork doesn't gvet along well with flames. Extinguisher is a smart idea. Are you going to sell your mount?
I wasn't planning on selling it, just removed it for a thorough cleaning under the seat and looked into why it was rattling. I will reinstall it.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I don't know how common or uncommon it is to wire a 20A fan directly through the control knob, but you can feel the fan speed knob get quite warm after a short while. I was in some rain once that caused the fan to short, and the knob itself caught on fire. My wife freaked out, but I just yanked it out and blew it out. Ever since, she has been wanting a fire extinguisher in the car, haha. I don't think it has happened to anyone else, but when looking at the wiring it is obvious that it is a risk.
in my extensive investigation of the AC system,

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/2007-exige-ac-heater-rework-348738/

one of my mods was a relay for the 'high' position right to the jump terminals on the Exige. Made the fan run faster=more air. Minor but so cheap it was worth doing.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Was this a factory option, or aftermarket?
The bracket was rattling against the floor, super annoying. Took me a while to unscrew the Front Right bolt, very difficult access, barely any room between the seat and the car frame.
Now my Elise is even lighter! Lol.

i have the same one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts