The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been more than 12 years since I put down my $2000 deposit for one of the original 2005 model year cars. Back then, Lotustalk was teaming with familiar faces -- but I never see them here anymore. Likewise, when I meet an Elise owner in real life, it turns out he's always the second or third owner of the car.

So how many "original" owners of the 2005 model still have their cars?

For what it's worth, this is the longest I've owned any car -- and I just finally passed the 35,000 mile mark. I can't imagine selling it. Yet, somehow, either through selling or crashing, it's clear that many other people have gotten out of the Elise game.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Jon, it's awesome that you've kept your car, as the original owner. It's rare to see people content with their choices and appreciating what they have. I am the third owner of my car, but could definitely see it becoming a very long-term companion. I think having a little fair-weather sports car is one of the greatest things anyone who loves driving can do.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Verichai. Frankly, if not for track days, I probably would have sold it already. My days of even occasional daily driving the car are long, long gone. Now, aside from track days, I just drive it to keep fluids running through it. But it does beg the question: Why have so many people abandoned the Elise, even as a track car? I feel like I have a piece of history -- and it's a car that will never, ever be repeated due to evolving federal regulations.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I recognize darkSol and ChrisH's handles. Maybe more original owners will come out of the woodwork (or maybe I'm just missing other 2005ers because they're responding to different threads).

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
10 years coming up on my Exige S. Though I joined in late 2003 when I found out Elise was going to be sold here. I had an order for a 06 Elise, but had to bail out when it came in due to bad timing.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'm the third owner of an 05 Elise that purchased in March 2007 - feel like an original owner. Going to keep it until either one of us is broken beyond repair - FUBAR! It only getting better. Most OG owners are on TheLotusForums.com.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm the third owner of an 05 Elise that purchased in March 2007 - feel like an original owner. Going to keep it until either one of us is broken beyond repair - FUBAR! It only getting better. Most OG owners are on TheLotusForums.com.
I may have to give TheLotusForums a second look. I think I originally ignored it because it's so clearly UK-centric. (Just look at their Trackdays section.)

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,090 Posts
3rd owner, second had it for week if that. Bought it in April of '06 and don't plan to sell it anytime soon although I may be looking for a new DD soon. Started out with 24k on her and now I'm at 98k loving every minute behind the wheel.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I've had my '05 since October 2004. Pretty much just track it at this point, but I will never sell it.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Not an 05 but I'm still the first owner of my car, which I bought new on April 1st 2006.
I'm getting close to 40k miles, but in reality my car has already traveled about twice that much.
The second half of the mileage was on a boat (Hethel -> Seattle, then Portland -> Germany, and then Germany ->Portland)

·
Premium Member
11,306 Posts
Got mine in Dec 2004 iirc.

Still have it, still love it.

Edit: Will hit 80k miles this summer. Drove to FL and back 3-4 times; 2 of those straight thru from Miami to NJ.

Surprisingly comfortable.

Aside from oil line fitting issue, really reliable.

I'd guess it is the most reliable British sports car ever.

--

I drove my hot rod Elan for 20 yrs. None of the newer cars interested me; list included Honda S2000.

Drove friend's Elise and quickly bought mine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Got mine sometime around the end of 2004/beginning of '05. Pretty much a daily driver. Either the Esprit or the Elise depending on mood, weather, or just plain random. 125,000 miles of excellence. Lots of great times and memories. More to come. My kids can figure out what to do with them when I'm gone.

Had the ex looked as good, rode as good, sounded so good, and shut up when the key was switched she would have lasted as long.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Well I purchased my first in june 06 a beautiful graphite grey Elise. Loved it and cared for it. Then in 2010 an alrecation with a minivan and a dent in the undercarraige totaled it. So what did I do? I promptley bought another 05. My orig resides in Guatemala where their not so stringent. I have done sooo many things to this one I can call it my own. I do remember Randy Chase with elisetalk and puresports car etc. always fun seeing new posts that have been covered previously. Also miss the Phil and Frank rants! Those were great times

·
Registered
511 Posts
2005 with +118,000 miles

I still have my yellow Elise. It was my daily driver from 2005 until 2012 and for a while was the highest mileage Elise the dealership had coming in for service (commuting from Baltimore to Washington DC). I retired in 2012 and drove it across country to Colorado where I drive a Jeep Wrangler in the winter and the Lotus gets used in the summer.

It's been a great and reliable vehicle - however, I just backed it out of the garage today and it started leaking coolant... so after a long time with no posts, I will be looking for some input on a new thread!

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,241 Posts
Here I am!

I can relate to Darksol as well, in that I put my deposit down over 12 years ago, sight unseen, after seeing the first Car & Driver 2 sentence article. I didn't even know if I would fit in the car but the dealer assured me the deposit would be refunded if I physically did not fit. Trailered it home from Auto Europe in March 2015. I was waiting for the weather to get nicer, but when I saw a fellow Omaha owner's Elise in the 2005 World of Wheels, I was on my way up to Michigan the next weekend!

The thought of selling it has never crossed my mind. However I still have my high school muscle car too.

We drove straight home from Michigan after stopping for a diner show in Chicago @ Medieval Times. Drove all night through after spending a couple hours after the show talking to the "knights" in the parking lot about the Elise. I remember I got sick from staying up so late, but even though I was feeling ill, as soon as we got home in the morning I had to go cruising with a huge smile on my face... and a slight fever.

Having an Elise in 2005 was the most fun you could have. It's still is a blast, but those 1st couple years before anyone knew what the car was were awesome!

I have been surprised by how many folks have sold their cars.

:up:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts