The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still a relative newbie to track days, running in one of novice,intermediate groups. I have the base suspension with the Ad07's. The event coordinators don't really want anyone to go out side of the OE setup until they get in the advanced run groups. So I was just curious how many here still do their track days on the Ad07's...Jeff.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
brgm100 said:
I'm still a relative newbie to track days, running in one of novice,intermediate groups. I have the base suspension with the Ad07's. The event coordinators don't really want anyone to go out side of the OE setup until they get in the advanced run groups. So I was just curious how many here still do their track days on the Ad07's...Jeff.
Me.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Me 2

·
Registered
778 Posts
AD07's fro track use

I have done multiple track events on 07's (as well as with 48's and Hoosier's). You will do just fine at track events and will probably no even notice a difference between 07's and 48's until you have done 4 or 5 events and have a feel for the car's balance in corners and start to explore the limits of braking and adhesion. On a shorter circuit, the 48's will only be worth a second or less in lap times, much less than the difference with true race tires. The 07's are much more durable and are a better choice because of this until you are very experienced. In the wet or damp
they are reportedly superior to 48's although I cannot personally speak to this. Much more important than tires is good instuction. Find someone who knows the Elise to act as you instructor when you start out, people who are experienced in track days but not the Elise can get you into serious trouble. Do a search for the Elise
crash at Road America last year....

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As I improve and move up (hopefully), I would probably start to look for solutions outside of the A048/Lss Lotus setup.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm still on AD07s... There's nothing wrong with street tires, save that they have a lower maximum grip level. But they last longer, and are typically more progressive in their breakaway, and telegraph that breakaway better (more squeal). I want to switch to R-comps this year, but only because I want to see how they affect lap times. If the change is dramatic, I'll probably stick with R-Comps. It's like I really "need" to go to R-comps, because I'm certainly not taxing the AD07s for all their grip.

The Skip Barber formula cars, in the amatuer series at least, use street tires. And I believe One Lap of America still requires street tires.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
12 track days on mine..... 7600 miles and still half tread left !

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
me 8 (or there abouts). If I ever get to where I can out drive the AD07s, then I'll consider different shoes.

·
Long-term Lotus Fanatic
983 Posts
kestrel74 said:
12 track days on mine..... 7600 miles and still half tread left !
I think I got to around 15 days before I had to replace my rear tires... I think I'm up to ~20 now, and I've still got decent tread left on the fronts.

I love these tires! Maybe I don't have all that grip - but a little sliding's fun too!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had standard setup the first year I owned the car (around 10 track days) and have now switched to the LSS wheels and suspension. The grip is much better on R compound, everything is better about the r compound in every way except tire life. The shocks are noticable but not by much. I switched to the r compound for a long 1 day event before installing the LSS susp and the body roll was slightly less w/ LSS but it was still there. Regardless I had fun with both setups and would recommend the tires are the first to go if you get the track bug.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitately have the track addiction :), and love the Ad07's as well. I might decide just to stick with them.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I've done a couple track days on AD07. I've found that since I don't really push it hard on the track, they take quite a while to heat up (long enough that in the early sessions of the day, they never really did reach temperature). It's really bizarre though, when they reach some temperature, the handling starts to change and the car just feels *different* in the corners. Enough so that the first time I experienced this, I pulled into the pits to check out the car. It's hard to describe, but what I think I felt was a slight imbalance as tires reached temp one by one with noticeable increases in grip as each did so. So, until they were all up to temp (which was really quick, less than a lap after first noticing something odd), the balance of the car was slightly off. I know this might sound insane, but another Elise driver noticed the same thing with his AD07 so I don't think I'm imaging this!

·
Registered
413 Posts
The way I see it, I'm not really competing with anyone except myself. What matters to me is how well I communicate with my car, and how hard I can push the limit. This would be true for 7s or 48s or whatevers. Its not 'can I go faster with 48s?', it's 'what's the fastest I can go?'.

That being said, I'm investing my money into things that improve me, and my interface to the car - better seating, better pedal placement, etc. On the second tier, I'd like to invest in tunability - adjustable sway bar, adjustable suspension.

From my tires, I want predictability more than I need performance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
20+

20 or more track days on ad07's they work great wear very evenly, and last over 10k miles for me, i am on my 2nd set and I am exploring their limits at this point, I run in the advanced groups all day long with the stock rubber. AO48's are atleast 2 seconds a lap faster, but for my needs they are fine until i have the stock tires/wheels/suspension fully understood.

·
Registered
772 Posts
kohete said:
The way I see it, I'm not really competing with anyone except myself.

You hit the nail right on the head my friend. When I'm out there I'm competing with myself, don't really care about others except to let them pass or me pass them only on the straights.

I had a guy last year that totalled his car ('98 or so honda accord) because he was not paying attention to the next turn but rather looking at me in his rear view mirrors (I can see his eye staring back at me). The guy stepped on his break way too late, over shot his turn, fishtailed and crashed into the tire wall across the field 50 ft off the track.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info elise_storm. To this day, I've only seen 1 Elise w the Ad07's in the advanced run group, and I think the next event they upgraded.

·
Registered
263 Posts
kohete said:
From my tires, I want predictability more than I need performance.
The 48's are much more predictable than 07, I think everyone would agree? Like I said, R compound is better in every way they just dont last for near as long.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I ran AD07's on the track for quite a while...

I think they are great tires, always worked well for me, however...

elise_storm said:
AO48's are atleast 2 seconds a lap faster...
That was my experience too e.g. 1:16 laps to 1:14 with the 48's. At my level of ability and experience I don't think I am near the limit of either tire's capabilities, but I did find it easier to go faster on the 48's.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Jefft said:
The 48's are much more predictable than 07, I think everyone would agree? Like I said, R compound is better in every way they just dont last for near as long.
Ah. You see, that would be a strong reason for me to upgrade, at least for off-roading.

Y'all care to elaborate?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts