The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently live in suburbia and have been backing in and out of a lot of driveways. Nothing too steep, nothing I'd expect to scape my nose on but twice in the last week as I back out I hear that cringe inducing sound and I have a new scrape. There was one today that was especially bad, I can see a crack along the license plate plinth line underneath the nose. I think the very foremost part of the aluminum might be a little bent too.

I guess I should watch where I drive a little closer but man these driveways look more than flat enough. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Scrape the nose of your car?

Go slowly -- and sideways in and out of driveways especially at gas stations!

Also SEARCH for threads regarding strips of plastic you can put under the nose of the car to protect it!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
rarely but on each side the chin has road rash. from letting someone drive the car ONCE! grrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Maybe 10. The ramp into the garage at work is steep and it intersects a hill so the approach angle is weird. I go slow and angle it, but I touch down with regularity. I've coated the rough spots (no cracks, just abrasion) with West Marine epoxy with a little filler to make the resin stiff. Doesn't look great from below, but who but me ever sees that anyway?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
1 scrape in 2 years. Happened the first month I had the car. Hasn't happened again.
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Zero - haven't scraped in 3 years of ownership. I got to know all the bad driveways with the previous car.

FWIW, I thought this was a personal hygiene thread at first glance.

ed

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I've had the car a year, and haven't scraped it yet. :nanner2:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Bought it in August '04 - never scraped it.

I do however scrape the front air dam on my R package Miata... :shrug:

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Twice. Both while someone was directing me out of a driveway (as in watching the front to assure no scraping). They are just like razor burn. Can barely notice them if you look hard enough but really hurt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess it's not the nose that was scraped but either side of the chin. Definite road rash there but only visible from underneath (just barely). The plastic scrape protection would have been great a week ago. Not so useful now that it's scraped but if I ever get this little bit of road rash fixed, I will look into the plastic protection.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts