The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
A handful of S1 and S2's in the US (none street legal), not sure how many have been sold in Europe and the rest of the world.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
My best guess is ~2500. Since dealers are being "hush hush" about their waiting lists, we can't know for sure. I think it was probably as high as 3000, but that when called to order, many people have fallen off the lists.

·
Registered
143 Posts
nxm150 said:
I believe approx 1170 orders have been placed (39*30).
Everything I've ever read has said that the entire 1st years production (2400 cars) has already been ordered. I think your numbers are low, and many dealers have 60+ cars ordered, some dealers with higher allocation have 200+ ordered.

Steve

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
slacy said:
Everything I've ever read has said that the entire 1st years production (2400 cars) has already been ordered. I think your numbers are low, and many dealers have 60+ cars ordered, some dealers with higher allocation have 200+ ordered.

Steve
you're talking about deposits, not orders.

·
Registered
670 Posts
slacy said:

Steve
Where have you read this ? Everything I've seen indicates only spots 1-30 at each dealer have placed real orders. Are you confusing deposit lists with orders, or have I missed some big events ?

Steve

·
Registered
670 Posts
nxm150 said:
I believe approx 1170 orders have been placed (39*30).
Assuming the 2200 to 2400 cars we expect, then half the US production is on order, by virtue of cars 1-30 being ordered at every dealer. Then it stands to reason that if you are higher than #60 on a list you won't see a car before June 2005, and it likely won't be a 2005 model year when it comes.

Steve

·
Registered
157 Posts
I sure hope it doesn't work that way:(

I think some low volume dealers will get 25-30 cars by the end of the year and other high volume dealers will get 80-90 cars by the end of the year. At least I hope...:)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
excerpts from Automotive News 4/12/04

"Lotus expects to sell about 2,200 Elises
in the fiscal year that began 4/1, even though the car won't arrive at dealerships until June."
"Lotus' 39 U.S. dealers are holding deposits that more than account for the entire first year's production."
"Fox Valley (Chicago, Ill.) has more than 200 customers lined up, making Chicago the top selling market. Atlanta rates as #2."
"A customer who puts down a deposit now can expect to wait about two years for a car, said Fox Valley President Bill Nuccio."
Seems as if 67 cars can be expected at Fox Valley by Dec., and 33 more from
Dec. to Next April. This is based off their
President stating expectations of 100 cars per year for Fox Valley.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well it's going to be rather odd then how cars are built and delivered if indeed different dealers get different allocations.

Prevailing knowledge is that right at this moment 30 cars are ordered at each dealer, regardless of the dealers sales volume. Lets assume my dealer (Steve Harris) is one of the lowest volume, which he probably is. Lets assume Fox Valley is the highest, which it probably is

According to the theory of different delivery rates based on Esprit sales, cars that are ordered now at low volume dealers will possibly, or probably be built and delivered after cars that are not ordered yet at high volume dealers.

I am #25 at Steve Harris and put in my order for options and color 6 weeks ago. My deposit is now non refundable. My car will then NOT be built because orders from Fox Valley that have not been submitted yet will get priority ?

I'm having a hard time believing this is how it will play out.

Steve

·
Registered
493 Posts
Remember, just because a dealer takes your order does not mean that it has been submitted to the factory, and even if it has been submitted it doesn't mean it's been accepted.

My dealer has only taken the orders for the first 20 cars, and they have a deposit list of over 100.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
sownman--

dealers have received their allocation through August from Lotus.

The fact is that different dealers are indeed getting more and some are getting less than others.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
To illustrate the allocation issue as others have outlined. I am the #1 position at my dealer. I ordered Lazer Blue and from what I understand am the first to do so(in position and chronologically) nationally. I have the 4th Lazer blue car to be built however because other dealers allocation have priorty over mine. That means that if #4 at Fox wants Lazer Blue, because their deposit is at a larger dealer, their car will be built before mine. A couple of weeks is not an issue for me but if I were #39 at my dealer and told I wasn't geting my car until January 2005 and #75 at Fox was getting theirs in September 2004, I might be pissed. What would really get me wiffed is if a new dealer opens next month and gets their clients cars within weeks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I dont think the new dealers get much priority. You know... cuz of the esprit factor and all. Being number 87 on the list, I hope I will get my car by the end of the year. LOA seems to be the big dawg of the lot, so if the biggest dealer is to get 90 cars by the end of the year, I should be good, right?

-Whit

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Since this thread has been hijacked and turned into an discussion about allocation, when will dealers find out about allocation past August?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well of course this whole topic is idle speculation. The concept
of radically different allocations to different dealers based on past sales is idle speculation as well. AFAIK there has been no official
policy set that ties Elise allocation to Esprit sales. There have been rumors and hints along those lines, but I've not seen a statement of policy.

As outlined in my prior post, my order has gone forward to Lotus, not just the dealer. I find it hard to believe Lotus intends to build cars not yet ordered in preference to those that are currently in their hands. That would really put me off. If Lotus does/did have a plan that includes vastly different allocations from dealer to dealer it only makes sense that they would have asked for orders
in a manner that matches that allocation. If there is a plan to give large dealer 80 cars by year end and small dealer 25, it only makes sense they would have asked for orders in a manner that matches this, not orders 1-10 then 11-30 from every dealer.

BTW my dealer has been told cars 1-8 will arrive between now and August. There is no mention of numbers beyond then.

Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts