The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally get my first Elise, an ‘05, base. It’s winter in Maine. The unheated garage is single digits. There will be no maintenance until April and no driving until late May. Luckily, dreaming and shopping are still in season. So, like an expectant parent, I purchase everything I might need; oil, brake fluid, new exhaust, toe links, splitter, HID kit, back up camera, interior trim upgrades, hard top, that all is understandable, isn’t it?

My problem is wheels and tires. It’s a base. I read great reviews about LTS2 AD07s. So I buy a set, assuring they are shipped before the cold snap hits. I get an extra set of base wheels and powder coat them gold, going for the green/gold thing. The old, original wheels will serve as winter jack stands.

I really like the look and weight of the forged LSS wheels so I track down a set and prepare to have them painted gold.

Then I see Shinoo putting a gold Monoite order in. My better half gives me the purchase order.

Now I will have three sets of varying width wheels and no tires for the LSS or Monolites.

Is there any reason to keep the base wheels and AD07s or should I sell them and their gold wheels to fund the next tire purchase?

I would love to feel the difference between the heavier wheels and the Monolites, but don’t know that justifies keeping them.

Also, without stirring up a long debate, can someone cut through R888 vs AO52 and optimal front/rear tire size for street driving?

Thanks for your advice.
Kirk

·
Registered
428 Posts
Congrats on the new car, condolences on being months away from driving it. You know that saying about opinions, so I would say just read the various threads (what else is there to do in winter?) and pick what is right for you.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Think engineered tyre temps, most summers only go to 45degrees. Morning etc temps below that are dangerous.

·
Registered
917 Posts
More than one is too many!
I have:
  • 1 set of the Original with old Toyo R888, in storage since few years
  • 1 set of RE11 on 15x7 and 17x8 on Dynamics, for sale, eventualy
  • 1 set of Hoosier Wet on Ethos, 15x7 and 17x9 (current set-up)
  • 1 set of Hoosier R7 on XXR527, 15x8 and 17x9.75 (current set-up)
  • 1 set of Toyo R1R on XXR527, 15x8 and 17x9.75 (current set-up)
  • I think I have 6 others wheels... but I am confused... 2x Dynamics15x7 (with used R7) and 2x 17x8 (Rim), and 2 Ethos 17x9 (with used R7). And also 2 other wheels to put on recycle bin.

Still, more than one set is too many.

Reactions: SS Lotus Elise

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I have two sets of Lotus Cup wheels plus the original anodized sport package set that came on the car, all of which I'm keeping. I'm the wrong guy to ask!

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
Women collect shoes, men collect wheels and tires. Our Elise currently has three sets, but I have sold a couple of sets.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I finally get my first Elise, an ‘05, base. It’s winter in Maine. The unheated garage is single digits. There will be no maintenance until April and no driving until late May. Luckily, dreaming and shopping are still in season. So, like an expectant parent, I purchase everything I might need; oil, brake fluid, new exhaust, toe links, splitter, HID kit, back up camera, interior trim upgrades, hard top, that all is understandable, isn’t it?

My problem is wheels and tires. It’s a base. I read great reviews about LTS2 AD07s. So I buy a set, assuring they are shipped before the cold snap hits. I get an extra set of base wheels and powder coat them gold, going for the green/gold thing. The old, original wheels will serve as winter jack stands.

I really like the look and weight of the forged LSS wheels so I track down a set and prepare to have them painted gold.

Then I see Shinoo putting a gold Monoite order in. My better half gives me the purchase order.

Now I will have three sets of varying width wheels and no tires for the LSS or Monolites.

Is there any reason to keep the base wheels and AD07s or should I sell them and their gold wheels to fund the next tire purchase?

I would love to feel the difference between the heavier wheels and the Monolites, but don’t know that justifies keeping them.

Also, without stirring up a long debate, can someone cut through R888 vs AO52 and optimal front/rear tire size for street driving?

Thanks for your advice.
Kirk
Tough call, do you want that many sets? There is not much of a market for the base wheels and you have already invested in powder coating them.

I have base wheels too, while I like the feel of the AD07 tires I hate the look of the wheels. By May I will have 3 sets of wheels and I'm planning on keeping the base wheels just because I know they are not worth much and could sell either of the other 2 sets in a blink.

Since you have a brand new set of AD07s unmounted you could put those on the LSS wheels. You can also put the front 175/55 AD07 on a 16x7. I'm waiting for a used set of Ethos wheels to try that.

I'd go with the A052 in stock sizes over the R888r. I'm going to be using the A052 on one of my new sets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
When I was actively doing 20+ track days a year I had three full sets of monolite wheels. One set had street tires, one set had slicks and one set was spares as Shinoo rarely had them in stock.

Now I just have two sets of LSS wheels as I no longer track my car. Why two sets? Where I live in the NE there are lots of potholes and you need to be very careful unless you know the roads well. If you were to bend or crack a wheel beyond repair, most wheels aren’t even available anymore from Lotus and you would be stuck searching the used market which would take your car off the road.

·
Registered
7,240 Posts

·
Administrator
3,147 Posts
LSS with Coni DWS-06 for year round able to use in cold and for the monsoon season
15/16 track setup with R888R
15/17 6UL yet to try out
sold the original base wheels to Miata owner for space.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Shoes collect dust in a closet. Tires are uber useful.....rationalizing is fun with ladies this way.

·
Premium Member
11,985 Posts
Note that many grippier tires cannot even be stored below 20 F. They often have little grip <50 f.

·
He's on fire!
3,345 Posts
Unless you're turning lap times its going to be best value to use the AD07's. If they are mounted use them on whatever wheels they are on, even if the base ones. If they are already mounted on the base wheels, dismount after they're done and sell just the wheels.

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
Note that many grippier tires cannot even be stored below 20 F. They often have little grip <50 f.
Hang my head, often this time of year I step into the garage for something and realize it’s the warmest part of the whole house, due to the dutiful heaters.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts