The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$748 - woohoo, the joys of living in CA and we get to enjoy a new 9.25% sales tax ... wait a minute this is a Republican run state, I thought stuff like this isn't supposed to happen ;)

I think this has helped me decide to convert the car to track only come the 4 year smog time (2011).

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Here in CO, I pay about $320/year. On the flip side, there aren't nearly as many paved roads as in CA. Not many route options going from one place to another if you don't want to drive on dirt.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
$748 - woohoo, the joys of living in CA and we get to enjoy a new 9.25% sales tax ... wait a minute this is a Republican run state, I thought stuff like this isn't supposed to happen ;)

I think this has helped me decide to convert the car to track only come the 4 year smog time (2011).
"...wait a minute this is a Republican run state..."

I think you need to take count of the Republican versus Democrat lawmakers. The state is overwhelmingly Democratic run. Ahhnold isn't a dictator.

And, if you want to experience even more of the joys of living here, vote for props 1A & 1B (and the rest of the shell game 1x propositions). You will get to pay those rates for at least another two years after the current law runs out...probably permanently.

Californians keep complaining about the costs here and then vote for every hair-brained spending proposition that comes along...like the $45B train from LA to SF that we will have to subsidize forever to operate.:crazyeyes :wallbang: (Note: That was a general venting not aimed at you.)

·
Registered
677 Posts
hmm.. I think the Murano was about 64$ and not sure what the G37 will be..

The GTI was around the same.. 60-70$..

Texas..

How can anyone afford to live in CA anymore ?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Here in CO, I pay about $320/year. On the flip side, there aren't nearly as many paved roads as in CA. Not many route options going from one place to another if you don't want to drive on dirt.
But our lovely gas tax is supposed to pay for that. :shrug:

In my area, the roads might as well not be paved. They're terrible. :(

ChrisB said:
Californians keep complaining about the costs here and then vote for every hair-brained spending proposition that comes along...like the $45B train from LA to SF that we will have to subsidize forever to operate. (Note: That was a general venting not aimed at you.)
I don't want to get too terribly political on here, while I didn't vote for the ridiculous train, I think the expense of that is a drop in the bucket in comparison to "immigration".

Then again I'm neurotically conservative and would get rid of public schools if it were up to me.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'll be back...

Vent away :) The reality is that it doesn't matter demo/rep/indy -- they all use different methods to obtain one's money -- dems use Taxes, reps use less obvious means (fees), indies don't care.

And a $328,000+ Military photo op of Air force one -- as has been pointed out, photoshop would have cost a lot less and probably come out better :)

What's wrong with a train from LA to SF? It's a lot more efficient than flying aircraft to/from and would be faster. I5 is a horrible road given there are no laws to prevent truckers from using both lanes like there is in Europe. But I don't know how efficient a train is vs a fuel efficient car like my Prius.

Think of the energy wasted having to climb to 30,000 feet at 250-300 knots IAS and all the subsidized FAA and aircraft support system and airports, etc. etc. Air travel is by no means efficient especially when dealing with shorter hops like LA to SF. Think of the long term energy savings.

Rob

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'll be back...

What's wrong with a train from LA to SF? It's a lot more efficient than flying aircraft to/from and would be faster. I5 is a horrible road given there are no laws to prevent truckers from using both lanes like there is in Europe. But I don't know how efficient a train is vs a fuel efficient car like my Prius.

Rob

The problem is the cost associated (which will most likely be significantly more than what was originally thought), the time it will take to build, and the economic logistics of it. There is no way it will be self sufficient. It may be more 'efficient' in terms of fuel cost and energy use, but it's simply not viable and not many will put it to use. I'll give you an example:

I live in San Diego. As such, I can either drive down to the airport and fly (faster) to San Francisco, or deal with LA traffic in driving to the train to use it. Not only is the train slower but right around the same cost. (I can fly to San Francisco for $49 round trip)

We just built this train in North County called "The Sprinter". Cost us a whole bunch of money and goes all of 15 miles in an hour. Not to mention you need to drive to get to it as the stations are typically in the middle of no where. Just very poor planning.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brennon,

Not sure how LA airport traffic will be any better than traffic getting to Train station?

I think what you need to look at is long term, not short term. The reason trains are extremely popular in Europe is because gas costs $10/gallon (or more). We will see more Americans using trains when gas costs $10/gallon -- and that day will happen, probably by the amount of time it takes to build a train system from SF to LA gas will be $10/gallon (which impacts flight ticket costs also).

Same deal with LA to Vegas or SF to Vegas. If they build high speed trains the travel time will probably be less once you add it up from door step to destination.

You got a killer deal on round trip flight for $49!!! -- my last round trip to from SF to LA was $119 + $22 parking fee -- and I thought I got a good deal. Were you in the luggage compartment? ;)

Rob.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Brennon,

Not sure how LA airport traffic will be any better than traffic getting to Train station?

I think what you need to look at is long term, not short term. The reason trains are extremely popular in Europe is because gas costs $10/gallon (or more). We will see more Americans using trains when gas costs $10/gallon -- and that day will happen, probably by the amount of time it takes to build a train system from SF to LA gas will be $10/gallon (which impacts flight ticket costs also).

Same deal with LA to Vegas or SF to Vegas. If they build high speed trains the travel time will probably be less once you add it up from door step to destination.

You got a killer deal on round trip flight for $49!!! -- my last round trip to from SF to LA was $119 + $22 parking fee -- and I thought I got a good deal. Were you in the luggage compartment? ;)

Rob.
Well I'm referring to the San Diego airport. :) I'll only go to LAX if I'm held at gun point.

I fully support high speed trains, but I'd rather them built by the private sector with a good business model as opposed to haphazardly throwing money around. I'd have supported this one if it were planned better.

Southwest usually has some pretty killer deals for SD to SF. Right now it is about 40 bucks each way, so $80 round trip. Varies depending on the time of year.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Mine was around $350 I think.. I'll have to look at my bill again. at least it's not in the 700ish..

As for train from LA/SF, it's not really going to be used all that much.. if it were feasilble, there would be private enterprise all over that already. There hasn't means it doesn't make economic sense. Now, LA to LV, I think there has been proposals for that within the private industry so this one the other hand would make more sense. And actually, that'll be something I may consider taking over driving.

But I remember there was a graph on Top Gear on one of the episodes where they were comparing, not sure if it was fuel consumption or was it carbon output but train actually was more than driving or flying. Anyone remember seeing that and what the detail was? It was one of those Epic Races, maybe the DB9 vs public transportation one.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am at about $1500 a year which includes plates for my 2 saab's, jetski/trailer & my harley. I yea.... forgot it also includes insurance for those as well

I pay under $250 a year for DMV for all those vehicles

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I only paid $319 last month... is an 07 Exige worth more than twice as much as an 05 Elise in assessed value? Doesn't seem like it should be...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts