The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing my carpet soon. I'd like to try to do the turnaround in a day or weekend, so I'd like to have the replacement carpet already on hand when the old carpet comes out.

Since a few have done this already, maybe someone will have the advice I need. How much do I need to buy to cut a whole new set for an 89, using the old carpet as a pattern?

Thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I did the job in about 2 full days, but ordered the carpet set from MacGregors. It comes cut to fit, with the sewn finished edges/ends in the right places, finished slits for the seatbelts, and new brake boot.

The only thing it did not have was the cutout for the bonnet release, gas cap release, or the cutout for the parking brake (i guess because they vary from LHD to RHD?).

As long as your old pieces come out in one or two nice pieces, it should be easy to cut new replacement from a flat roll. Some of mine came out easily, some did not (see pics). I also think I did the job in two days because the carpet came pre-cut from MacGregor. With just a roll, it may take you two weekends (depending on you knack for carpeting?).

All that said, I'm not sure how much you'd need. Maybe the pics below will help you estimate?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am no help when it comes to how much to buy as its been a while since I did this myself, but I will say buy more than enuf. Because one thing I did two or three times was I cut the piece out usng the old piece as a pattern, but I had it facing the wrong side up, which makes the piece backwards. It can be done in a weekend easy though. I did my trunk the next weekend. And if you are doing those sailpanel trays next to the engine bay, they were a pain in the butt if I remember correctly, but they look real nice finished with new carpet. The best interior adhesive is DAP's landau top and trim adhesive, I have never used an interior cement quite as fast to cure and quite as lasting. Good stuff. It can be bought at upholstery suppliers for around $35 a gallon. It says sprayable, but I think brushing it on works best. I had to take some of my parts apart since I did the interior, to change the color a little bit just for customization, and they were real hard to get apart, that cement works. I used it and only it for this carpet project.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for the replies and pics. I think I'm thinking I'll get about 5 yards. Do you think that will be enough to allow for a few "do-overs"?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts