The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, i wont be buying anything anytime soon, do you think in 2 years any evoras will be around 35k? :D

if not, then whats your estimate??

thanks, garrett

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
But the maintenance and parts will still seem as though the cars cost at least twice as much, and only sold in the low hundreds. Which they did. There have been 10x as many Elige sales as Evora sales?

E.g., Elise headlamp, Deroure factory price 260 GBP; Evora headlamp, same basis, 634 GBP; Porsche 911 (2009+) headlamp 674 GBP. The difference is that they have made many thousands of 911's

·
Premium Member
6,747 Posts
Numbers are VERY limited. You'll find high mileage examples in that range but anything low mileage will hold value just as our Eliges have! 8 yr old cars holding 50% of their value if in decent condition is excellent. That is better than they were at 5yrs.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I fail to understand why Lotus cars cannot hold their value and of course it's a buyers market these days.

Back in '87 my car was almost 60k and in the '90's Esprits were retailing at 100k and today you can pick up these cars for 15 to 20k. A guy I met many years ago was selling his '86 Esprit with very low miles around 18k at the time and also had a Ferrari Boxer. Sometime later he emailed asking if I knew anyone that might be interested in buying the Boxer and was going to keep the Esprit. I asked him why he was selling the Boxer and he said the car had way too much power but couldn't handle it... basically saying the car had no handling which Lotus is famous for.

With Lotus giving you the 'Bang for the Buck' and not costing you $250. for a distributor cap or a grand for brake pads it's strange these cars depreciate in value considering so few are made.

As I have watched the Lotus market for almost 30 years I have to say it's very possible the Evora could go to 35k. You could offer me every Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche or what ever for free and I would not take it. I prefer to have something special that no one understands except for myself or the 'For Those Who Know the Difference' which was an old 'slogan' used many years ago and still holds true today.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I doubt $35K. I sold my Elise in 2007 for $30K and the values have held steady since then.

I wouldn't pay $80K for a sport car that only had base Boxster power and I suspect most of the sports car market feels the same. If the Evora were $45K, then I'd be more open to that.

My guess is that used Evora's would stabilize when they get to the $50 to $45K range.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
There's always hate for the evora and 90% of it comes from people who haven't owned/driven one for an extended period.

Andy motor trend has a decently optioned boxster s with an 88k Msrp...and I've seen a review of a decently optioned 13 base boxster for 77k...so pricing of the two aren't that far off.

I'm not sure they'll hit 35k regularly but I definitely think they'll be in the 40s all day

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for everyones replies, it looks like no one will know for sure!! I sure hope they will go down to that much, then you know youll see me in one :rolleyes:

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's always hate for the evora and 90% of it comes from people who haven't owned/driven one for an extended period.

Andy motor trend has a decently optioned boxster s with an 88k Msrp...and I've seen a review of a decently optioned 13 base boxster for 77k...so pricing of the two aren't that far off.

I'm not sure they'll hit 35k regularly but I definitely think they'll be in the 40s all day
Yes and even with the evora this shows! Kinda.... A 2010 you can find for low 50s, that's almost 20k in 2 years, correct?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I doubt $35K. I sold my Elise in 2007 for $30K and the values have held steady since then.

I wouldn't pay $80K for a sport car that only had base Boxster power and I suspect most of the sports car market feels the same. If the Evora were $45K, then I'd be more open to that.

My guess is that used Evora's would stabilize when they get to the $50 to $45K range.
I guess we will just have to see!! I know ill pick up an elise no matter what.... Unless the evora hits 35k, then im snatching that sucker up!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fail to understand why Lotus cars cannot hold their value and of course it's a buyers market these days.

Back in '87 my car was almost 60k and in the '90's Esprits were retailing at 100k and today you can pick up these cars for 15 to 20k. A guy I met many years ago was selling his '86 Esprit with very low miles around 18k at the time and also had a Ferrari Boxer. Sometime later he emailed asking if I knew anyone that might be interested in buying the Boxer and was going to keep the Esprit. I asked him why he was selling the Boxer and he said the car had way too much power but couldn't handle it... basically saying the car had no handling which Lotus is famous for.

With Lotus giving you the 'Bang for the Buck' and not costing you $250. for a distributor cap or a grand for brake pads it's strange these cars depreciate in value considering so few are made.

As I have watched the Lotus market for almost 30 years I have to say it's very possible the Evora could go to 35k. You could offer me every Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche or what ever for free and I would not take it. I prefer to have something special that no one understands except for myself or the 'For Those Who Know the Difference' which was an old 'slogan' used many years ago and still holds true today.
Yes, who knows what the price will be!! I see most cars having a bell curve like you described, going down, then up, then down again! Maybe I can grab an evora when it hits the bottom! :D

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I just do not see $35K in the near future. The car is too good and too limited production to go for Mustang money

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hope the car doesn't go to 35K but I wouldn't be surprised. I took my 2011 Evora with 4000 miles to a Lotus dealer for service and while I was there I took a look at a 2012 with IPS. I asked the dealer to put numbers together for a possible trade to the newer car. He came back with a trade-in offer of $52K for my car. i chose not to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I hope the car doesn't go to 35K but I wouldn't be surprised. I took my 2011 Evora with 4000 miles to a Lotus dealer for service and while I was there I took a look at a 2012 with IPS. I asked the dealer to put numbers together for a possible trade to the newer car. He came back with a trade-in offer of $52K for my car. i chose not to upgrade.
This is the most telling post of all. Dealers know what the market is. 2011 cars with 3-5k miles sell for mid $50's and that's why the dealer only offered you $52k

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
that's actually not a bad trade all things considered...11s are going high 50s low 60s used...

·
Registered
579 Posts
I purchased my Elise at 5 years old 14k miles for 55% of its original sticker. By this rate a car in the low 70s should sell for high 30s. That is pretty typical depreciation for any car.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I purchased my Elise at 5 years old 14k miles for 55% of its original sticker. By this rate a car in the low 70s should sell for high 30s. That is pretty typical depreciation for any car.
Thanks! I definately tried to narrow it down based on the current trends of how they were selling

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats what I thought! I hope it ends up there!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts