The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I use mine all winter. Will probably use it a little more in the summer now that I have better tools for taking it on and off. Basically my prefrence is 1) no top, 2) hard top, 3) soft top. I need it for the track, and I love the looks, so I'm definitely happy I got it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I still have not ever removed mine. I love the way the car looks with it on! Although I can see a few fun trips to the mountains this spring, with the top off.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I"ve only taken mine off to remove the seats and replace the rear speakers. I prefer the look of the car with the hard top or no top. I'm not a big fan of the look of the soft top especially on the lighter colored cars. If security is at all a concern the soft top can easily be cut too. If you do opt for the hard top realize that it doesn't come off instantaneaously. It's not difficult to take off but it does require removing 7 T40 torx bolts. It's not as simple as flipping a couple of latches and it's off. This isn't a huge burden but something to be aware of if you think you'll be removing it often. It's also doesn't store in the car anywhere like some targa tops, you need to leave it behind. And one more thing getting in and out of the car is a bit more difficult with the top on, soft or hard top.

·
Registered
430 Posts
sleepless said:
I've never removed mine... so, I use mine 100% of the time.
I'm in this same category. I like the looks of the car with the hardtop on much better than the soft top. Actually, I'm surprised how many folks on this board use their hardtop most of the time.

John

·
Registered
495 Posts
I didn't buy one, and don't regret it a bit. If it were my daily driver, I might have gotten one for winter, but for me looking up at the sky and feeling the wind is an integral part of the experience.

I also like the contrast of the black soft top with the ST exterior. Some time back I saw a photo of an ST Elise with a black hard top, I thought that was very sharp. I bet a black hard top would look great with a lot of colors, and be different from the pack as well.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
The hard top is really nice in the winter, but I lived in Colorado most of my life. What are you going to do during those 65 degree days in December and January? Take off the hard top? It's a pain to take off and put on. It's not that time consuming, but you have to have some place to store it, too. If I was in Denver I'd use the hardtop a lot less because I value open air driving so much...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I took mine off at the dealership when I picked up my car and it hasn't been on since. :no:

That was 8 months ago. It's gathering dust in the bedroom closet. I'm only keeping the top because having it will probably help if I ever decide to sell the car.

I've driven the car once with the soft top on, during a rainstorm. Other than that, it's always in convertible mode!:coolnana:

Wayne

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I love the looks of the Elise with a hardtop so it was one of my purchase requirement. I will take it off for maybe a month or two during the summer time just to experience driving topless. I agree with others on the board that getting the hardtop is a no brainer since it doesn't cost a lot and the Elise looks and feel so much different with it on and off that it is almost like getting two cars for the price of one. It will definetly help with the sell of the car if you ever decided to do that. Like someone else said, the worst case scenario is if you really hated it then just sell it to someone here and you'll most likely make a profit.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I didn't have a HT until I found one in CA and bought it. Since CO and KS share weather I'd vote for getting one. As my girlfriend put it "with the top on it's a true 'coupe' instead of a roadster." Besides its nice to have for when its cold but the roads are clear.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I took mine off a couple weeks after delivery. I put it back on for a track event, and haven't yet taken it back off.

I got mine for the track, but it's nice, regardless. I think if I didn't track the car, I'd never use it. The Touring soft top seems to work very, very well. I prefer not to drive the car in icky weather. I have other options that aren't as clean.

·
Registered
185 Posts
In the bag since it came home...

I drove the car home from the dealership with the hard top on, but took it off the next weekend. As much as I like the car with the hardtop (I like the looks of it), it's more fun topless. The hard top has been sitting in the garage since.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think the hardtop is great to have, and like many others on ET, I love the look of the car with it on. I found, however, that it's enough of a pain to remove and put on that you wouldn't do it every time you spontaneously decide to go out for a ride. I took mine off in May and only put it back in October, and only when I wnted to run a track event that required it. At least the soft top stows in the boot and can be put on in less than a minute.

·
Registered
88 Posts
wouldn't be without one

2002 Sexterra said:
I am attempting to save a few dollars when it is finally time to go out and buy my elise!:drool:

I live in Colorado, and I have a bad weather driver. My question is how often do you use your hardtop? and is it a "must have" accessory?:confused:
thanks

-Jon
:sheep:
I HAD to have a hardtop. I like the way the car looks with it on (much more than the soft top). It's on my car 99% of the time. Actually, I have never installed the soft top. For me, it's either a day here and there with the car open or the hard top is on. I would recommend having one, you'll be surprised how much you use it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hard Top or Not

It may also have to do with your height. I do not have a hard top.

Several reasons- I'm too cheap.
I am 6'2" and have not sat in an Elise with a hard top on till yesterday. I sat in an Exige and Elise with hard top on. Both cars had the newer seats. (Which feel great.)
With out my helmet it felt great and had a little less room than Soft top- May also be because of the cushioning of the new seats. But with my helmet on I could not sit correctly in either car. I had to keep my head at an angled down postion to sit correctly. Being here in Dallas I have had no need for the Hard Top. I go topless quite a bit. I love going topless on the track.

Peter

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hard Top Options

Update- I also did not want to spend the money up front. I saw a Gulf Wing Style and I thought I would put the $1500.00 towards the Gulf Wing Style.
Maybe someone can answer my question there. Is the frame that holds the HardTop-Gulfwing style removable? Does it come on and off like the original Hard Top?
Peter

·
Registered
960 Posts
I too felt a hardtop was a "must have" when buying. I cheaped-out when buying my previous car, a Miata. For the entire time I owned it, I wished I had included a hardtop with the purchase of the car.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Like several others:
-Mine has only been off once (in 15 months), to eliminate the squeaks.
-Strongly prefer the looks with the H/T on (note how the lines of the
bodywork flow with the top)
-I have bikes and a convertible to take care of the open-air needs.
-Top down in cold weather would not be an issue (I take the bikes
and old Alfa out as long as it's above 20F)
-Never considered getting the car without the H/T
-You never know which race groups will be happier with the H/T, so it's
good insurance.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts